What's new

NP231j input shaft swap

foxracing92

Member Number
I have a 4l60 transmission and a np231j transfer case with a sye and also a np246c transfer case to use for parts. my plan is to swap the 246 input shaft to my np231j so it will spline to the 4l60 trans. I have read that there is a clocking issue, is this true. also are there any other problems I may run into with doing this swap? Thank you

So you’re swapping the entire case half? If so, maybe. I’d just swap the input.

Also make sure one is not the narrow input bearing while the other is the thick input bearing. They have to match up

So you’re swapping the entire case half? If so, maybe. I’d just swap the input.

Also make sure one is not the narrow input bearing while the other is the thick input bearing. They have to match up
no just swapping the input shaft, i did discover last night when taking them apart that the 231 has the wide bearing and the 246 has the narrow bearing

You will probably have to buy an input for the correct bearing.

I’d say if you have clicking issues just buy a clock ring. They are easy and cheap

You will probably have to buy an input for the correct bearing.

I’d say if you have clicking issues just buy a clock ring. They are easy and cheap
i put the narrow bearing in my case because the 246 shaft has a collar on it where the wider bearing shaft doesnt so it fits the same in the case, that being said this is all new to me so i do not know if that will cause a problem or it will work. thats why i wanted to ask on here.

Off of memory, the narrow bearing in a wide bearing case allows the input to move and it can pop out of gear

Off of memory, the narrow bearing in a wide bearing case allows the input to move and it can pop out of gear
i put it in the case last night and it doesnt have any movement in it, only thing i noticed was that the bearing didnt have the groove for the input side case snap ring

The only reason for the "Help!" designation:

The 'Help!' prefix is only broke down rigs where a member needs assistance. It is not contests, fundraisers, etc

In other words, if you're broken down on the site of the road.

i put it in the case last night and it doesnt have any movement in it, only thing i noticed was that the bearing didnt have the groove for the input side case snap ring
Someone else can verify if it will or will not work. The concern is if the snap ring doesn’t line up against the bearing then it will move, maybe not under your hand but under load that a person can not exert

The only reason for the "Help!" designation:

The 'Help!' prefix is only broke down rigs where a member needs assistance. It is not contests, fundraisers, etc

In other words, if you're broken down on the site of the road.
my bad i didn't realize that, this is the first post i have ever made. i just took shots of bleach just in case

Top Back Refresh