What's new

NP231 Doubler

ricekrispyota

Member Number
Hello, I built and installed an NP231 doubler kit in my truck. I got the kit from Froelich Suspension. After installing it doesn't seem to make any difference. 4 low still feels like its the stock gearing even when both cases are (allegedly) in low gear. There were no instructions with the kit so I followed these two videos when doing the build.

Neither video shows anything gearing going in after the shaft, shift rod and shift fork/slider. Did I miss something? The truck works like normal in factory 4hi/4low and 2hi. It just seems like the doubler isn't doing anything. From what I understand it should only have a hi and low speed. No "4wd".

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. This is how it looked before installation. Ignore my narraration.

Last edited:
Pull it out, put it on a bench, and spin the yokes after shifting each gear.

If that last video is yours. Then your engaging double low. I'd be worried about that grinding/rumble sound though. If it works on the bench, then your problem is your shifter doesn't have enough throw to engage low on the range box, and your in the "4Hi" still.. i had to change my shifters a few times to get everything correct. I have the same kit as well.
KIMG4851.jpg

Make sure everything is fully engaging inside. Mine was engaging on the bench but as soon as I ran power through it the thing would pop out of gear since it was barely engaged. Make sure the shifter is set up properly.

Top Back Refresh