What's new

NOOB: 7.3 OBS Question

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
Passenger side of engine. Rubber drain hose (or... appears to be a drain hose). Trace it back as far as i can, it attaches to a hardline that appears to go behind the tensioner/alternator bracket... that's where I lose it.

Trying to figure out what it is... seems to have a drip of ATF... but I don't see anywhere that the trans coolant lines go near the block. The lines run to aftermarket lines, external cooler and screw on filter... Can trace them and they don't go near the front of the engine.

I'm sure it's something simple... GoogleFU isn't working for me.

edit... pic attached. Best I can tell the hardline is circled correctly.

Attachments

• 20231124_225505817_iOS.jpg
    20231124_225505817_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
It's probably the drain hose for the fuel bowl.

Ok… that makes some sense.

Next question. Why is it dripping? Giving me a dollar bill sized stain overnight. Seems rather excessive to me.

The fuel bowl drain valve probably needs new orings

There supposed to be a hose? The couple I've owned just drained in the valley.
Short, 2-3", which connects to a steel tube that runs down the front of the motor behind the accessory drive.

The fuel bowl drain valve probably needs new orings

Short, 2-3", which connects to a steel tube that runs down the front of the motor behind the accessory drive.
Thanks!

This rubber hose is about 14" long... one end cut at a slight angle, so I'm guessing it's something the OP did when changing the water pump and alternator a number of years ago.

So is it dripping red diesel or atf?:flipoff2:

I would have sworn it was ATF... And I haven't run any red through this truck. :flipoff2:

Ordering up a kit and going from there. Probably end up dropping the pan and replacing the filters for the trans as well. Have a bit of weeping around the pan.

Crankcase vent?

Didn’t all the cool kids disconnect the PVC shit and just run a draft tube?

CCV on a 7.3 is in the driver valve cover and connects directly to intake. The gaskets do swell and leak, but that just gets oil all over the driver valve cover.

pretty sure it's ATF... Just can't tell where it's coming from. One puddle below starter... one puddle below front of truck. Can see ATF dripping down... but it appears to be coming from above the hardline????

Could be corroded feed/return hard line? Truck spent it's entire life in CA....

EDIT: thought maybe the rear was from the dipstick... but no fulid on the dipstick tube that I can see.

Attachments

• 20231125_200949636_iOS.jpg
    20231125_200949636_iOS.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231125_201007199_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201007199_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20231125_201304694_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201304694_iOS.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231125_201308197_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201308197_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20231125_201355881_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201355881_iOS.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231125_201408432_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201408432_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20231125_201416864_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201416864_iOS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20231125_201425498_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201425498_iOS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 20231125_201554661_iOS.jpg
    20231125_201554661_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
F-it... new lines are only $55... Just need to find a 7 year old contortionist to get them in place.

You may be correct… but where could it be coming from?

It’s on my list of replacement items… already have the antifreeze ready to go.

You said there’s leaks onto ground up front and rear areas of engine.

I’ll try look up front on top. Thermostat housing, upper radiator hose, or possibly HG.

You said there’s leaks onto ground up front and rear areas of engine.

I’ll try look up front on top. Thermostat housing, upper radiator hose, or possibly HG.

I'm going to tear into it some next week. Two spots - one below the starter... which I'm reading could be oil cooler related... and one up front... but it doesn't appear (yet) to be water pump. Pump only has ~20k miles on it.

I'm curious if a leak is hitting the trans cooler hard lines and running for and aft of a leak, creating two locations.

Ordered a USB bore scope as well to see if I can get better look under stuff....

Oil cooler is on driver side though. How would that get all the way to the trans cooler lines on the passenger side?

Tstat housing is a possibility, it's just sheet metal. Water pump could spray to both sides but seems unlikely since you just changed it.

Do you have a pressure tester for the cooling system?

Oil cooler is on driver side though. How would that get all the way to the trans cooler lines on the passenger side?

Tstat housing is a possibility, it's just sheet metal. Water pump could spray to both sides but seems unlikely since you just changed it.

Do you have a pressure tester for the cooling system?

Agree on cooler. But t state housing is closer to driver’s side as also, iirc. No dripping that I can find on drivers side of engine. I suppose the water pump could leak more towards one side. But that doesn’t really address the dripping at starter.

I do have a pressure tester.

Current thought process…

Clean everything I can reach. Make sure it dries well.

Pull starter, “move” some other items to improve visibility.

Put 12-14# into the system. And go over everything I can with a usb borescope camera to see if I can find a leak.

degreased, power-washed... drying in the barn.

i'm curious if it's not the heater (core) feed hose. Seems like the correct location to get drips front and back. Will check later in the week when everything is dry and I'm more motivated.

Thats coolant, and it looks like extended life...which is a no-no on pre early 99 engines because of injector cup glue used.

My guess is water pump, verify by pressure test

Thats coolant, and it looks like extended life...which is a no-no on pre early 99 engines because of injector cup glue used.

you're correct, from waht I can tell. 10 Psi = bump of antifreeze dropping off the crank pulley. I can't get the snake camera where I need to see weep hole... but everything above the weep hole is dry.

So what brand is decent for these things? Motorcraft only or ?

Huh, never heard that one. I run Delo ELC in almost everything. Get it for about $50 a case from work.

Looks like fleet charge coolant...

Edit
What year?
The 94.5 to 95 ( p stroke) eng changes alot of stuff...

The elc in earlier ferds was a nono till the products like fleetguards offerings covered the issues.
Look up cavitation....:emb4:

Fwiw
A pass side return drips right behind the starter.

Seems like last I hunted, fo mo co was still an American offering for a water pump...

Last edited:
CCV on a 7.3 is in the driver valve cover and connects directly to intake. The gaskets do swell and leak, but that just gets oil all over the driver valve cover.
+1 on this...
C.d.r. valve
Crankcase depression regulator.

Looks like fleet charge coolant...

Edit
What year?
The 94.5 to 95 ( p stroke) eng changes alot of stuff...

The elc in earlier ferds was a nono till the products like fleetguards offerings covered the issues.
Look up cavitation....:emb4:

Fwiw
A pass side return drips right behind the starter.

Seems like last I hunted, fo mo co was still an American offering for a water pump...

you're correct, from waht I can tell. 10 Psi = bump of antifreeze dropping off the crank pulley. I can't get the snake camera where I need to see weep hole... but everything above the weep hole is dry.

So what brand is decent for these things? Motorcraft only or ?
Just go with the navistar/international, Ive had good luck with two for last 5 yrs

Top Back Refresh