What's new

Non HF Plasma for DIY CNC table?

This might help for those with the PT-60/IPTM-60 torch.

1697571556513.png

1697571617828.png

PTM-60 cut suggestions.

20 amp tip - 0.6mm/.025" - 15 to 20 amps - 50 to 55 psi
30 amp tip - 0.8mm/.030" - 21 to 30 amps - 55 to 60 psi
40 amp tip - 0.9mm/.035" - 31 to 40 amps - 65 to 70 psi
50 amp tip - 1.0mm/.040" - 41 to 50 amps - 65 to 75 psi
60 amp tip - 1.1mm/.044" - 51 to 60 amps - 65 to 75 psi
70 amp tip - 1.2mm/.047" - 61 to 70 amps - 75 to 80 psi
80 amp tip - 1.3mm/.051" - 71 to 80 amps - 75 to 80 psi

I ended up with the Hynade cut 60 for my table. It cuts 1/8" clean just one cut. I need to dial in my Z axis.
My only complaint is the air pressure is preset to 60? psi and not adjustable
Hopefully I can have more feedback over the next few days.
I saw in a video the regular regulator I have on the front is inside your machine near the rear left.
The theory was it came pre-set for teh 120v settings not the 220v.
He adjusted it not problem in the video I saw.

Have any of you guys successfully built a plasma table?
I think it's time for me to step up and get one so I need to figure out if I should built or buy??
I have a Miller extreme 375 plasma cutter, I have all the tubing needed to build a stand. I see Eastwood has a 4x4 table less the plasma cutter for $3500, so just add mine and it's done, that's the easiest way to go but like most of you I'm a hard headed fucker.

Suggestions or thoughts??

Yes, I bought plans from JD's Garage. I had friend with a 3d print print the needed components and I bought and assembled the rest.
It is really cost efficient to do vs buying if you have some wiring and fab skills. The only thing I wish my table had was a home or zero location. It doesn't use limit switches and required you to zero before each new file. I have no plans of running production on it. I just wanted to have the ability to design and cut my own stuff right now because I am very impatient.
Everyone says you will want one bigger but I don't have room and I have not needed to cut anything that won't fit on the table so far.

Probably around $500 in the table buying steel and components + the plasma.

Plasma Cutter

If you stick with mach 3/4 it's pretty easy I'd imagine if you are handy.
I used LinuxCNC and it added a layer of complexity.

I think it's time for me to step up and get one so I need to figure out if I should built or buy??
I have a Miller extreme 375 plasma cutter, I have all the tubing needed to build a stand. I see Eastwood has a 4x4 table less the plasma cutter for $3500, so just add mine and it's done, that's the easiest way to go but like most of you I'm a hard headed fucker.

I built two, started a company with it and upgraded to laser.

Yes, I bought plans from JD's Garage. I had friend with a 3d print print the needed components and I bought and assembled the rest.
It is really cost efficient to do vs buying if you have some wiring and fab skills. The only thing I wish my table had was a home or zero location. It doesn't use limit switches and required you to zero before each new file. I have no plans of running production on it. I just wanted to have the ability to design and cut my own stuff right now because I am very impatient.
Everyone says you will want one bigger but I don't have room and I have not needed to cut anything that won't fit on the table so far.

Plasma Cutter
I’m kinda like you, I want it for person stuff, I don’t have any problems with fabricating at all. I think a 4x4 table will work for me best because I get drops for free. So if I could buy the right kit with everything needed I’d probably go that route.
I see there’s a lot of videos on YouTube with people making their own CNC plasma table. Dr D Flo channel is popular.
Thanks for your input.

You have a great business plan going there with products that solve a big problem these days. You have the best idea I've seen to protect convertors from getting stolen. If anybody I know needs something I'll send them your way.
I do a lot of diesel work and don't see many gas engines, usually those have already went through a weight loss plan. lol

So how does the laser compare to plasma?

Plasma Cutter
Can you add home/limits?

I'm in the same boat as you, I wanted a little better than a 2x2 torch mate and I'm not sure I need a 4x8 or bigger.

I do think I will rebuild my machine with the linear rails I got and make at least one axis accept 4' material, I got sidetracked when I found the stainless washing machine drain pan and forgot I was going to make it a 2x4...

And I will say now there is no reason not to use linear rails of some sort.
I bucked it due to cost when I started this build 3 years ago but there is no reason to now.

The chinese SBR round rails are dirt cheap, no the quality is no excellent but for plasma it really doesn't seem to matter much.
I am going to convert my whole machine to 16mm SBR rails for $70 per axis.

1705265168994.png

You have a great business plan going there with products that solve a big problem these days. You have the best idea I've seen to protect convertors from getting stolen. If anybody I know needs something I'll send them your way.
I do a lot of diesel work and don't see many gas engines, usually those have already went through a weight loss plan. lol

So how does the laser compare to plasma?

Plasma was great, it was cheap, easy to run, but replacing tips got old.
Laser was way more accurate. Going from plasma to Laser totally changed how I design things and the accuracy to what I design too. It is also a much cleaner process. If I was to get another plasma table I would want a down draft as that water table is a disaster for production type work..... but still works well. I have just been spoiled at this time.

Also Thanks, The cat theft market is almost dead now that China, and every other swinging dick as entered the game. I was great when we were the only ones, but now it is a race to the bottom. Thankfully, I have a great shop full of machines and we are starting to enter the off road skid plate market seriously. I will have my first bed rack out soon and am constantly working on other things!

I’m kinda like you, I want it for person stuff, I don’t have any problems with fabricating at all. I think a 4x4 table will work for me best because I get drops for free. So if I could buy the right kit with everything needed I’d probably go that route.
I see there’s a lot of videos on YouTube with people making their own CNC plasma table. Dr D Flo channel is popular.
Thanks for your input.
Bigger is always better, my first one was 3x4' and it was perfect for a lot of stuff. I was in a 3 car garage at the time and I felt a 2x4 was too small, but a 4x4 was just too big.

And I will say now there is no reason not to use linear rails of some sort.
I bucked it due to cost when I started this build 3 years ago but there is no reason to now.

The chinese SBR round rails are dirt cheap, no the quality is no excellent but for plasma it really doesn't seem to matter much.
I am going to convert my whole machine to 16mm SBR rails for $70 per axis.

1705265168994.png
The cut quality will go up exponentially with the better rails.

Skate board bearings have a tendency to cause a lot of gantry shake going over dust.

The cut quality will go up exponentially with the better rails.

Skate board bearings have a tendency to cause a lot of gantry shake going over dust.
I hope they just generally provide more rigidity.
They are really cheap but the 2000mm I already got have very little play.
I go a smaller 8mm set for the Z, it even has a acme thread lead screw with all the mounts for $32.

I have built a 5x10
already stretched it once, so I think it is 5x12 now
I have turned down jobs because it is still too small

It isn't rocket science, but it isn't a snap together model either, you can do it
For me, the computer part was the challenge

and go the best plasma you can get your hands on (HT or better)

If I may ask, what kind of laser did you go to? Our shop has a Torchmate that is coming to the end of its lifespan. Bosses are talking another plasma, but I'm trying to convince them that we spend entirely too much time cleaning up the parts.

If I may ask, what kind of laser did you go to? Our shop has a Torchmate that is coming to the end of its lifespan. Bosses are talking another plasma, but I'm trying to convince them that we spend entirely too much time cleaning up the parts.
Oree Laser bought through Gary Ramsey. I am no longer running the Nlight source, but a max source now.

Oree Laser bought through Gary Ramsey. I am no longer running the Nlight source, but a max source now.

Interesting, Gary used to be a big contributor on the OFN forum.

I'll watch that video, any reason to switch power source?

I've seen some DIY laser tables on YouTube, seems possible to convert a high precision plasma table to laser.

Interesting, Gary used to be a big contributor on the OFN forum.

I'll watch that video, any reason to switch power source?

I've seen some DIY laser tables on YouTube, seems possible to convert a high precision plasma table to laser.

Yeah, have the current source blow up, and the manufacture say... well that one came from china, so despite us saying before we will warranty it, now we wont.

It is now a 70k paperweight at gary's shop.. Thankfully he took care of me.

Top Back Refresh