What's new

Non HF Plasma for DIY CNC table?

RustyC

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Alabama
We have a couple of threads on DIY CNC plasma tables. I am building one myself. Looking for feedback on Non High Frequency Plasma cutters for use with a table.
A straight / pencil style torch would be nice but not a requirement. Obviously a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics would be top of the line but probably not what a guy building a diy hobby table is looking to buy.
There are several import machines on the market that fit the bill. If anyone has any feedback on these machine please chime in.

Here are a few offerings.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Last edited:
I picked up this unit for my eventual table. It's built very well, I have no doubt it will serve me well

We have a couple of threads on DIY CNC plasma tables. I am building one myself. Looking for feedback on Non High Frequency Plasma cutters for use with a table.
A straight / pencil style torch would be nice but not a requirement. Obviously a Hypertherm

FIFY

Prime Days round 2 are Oct 10-11. When they did round 1 they had the YesWeld plasma cutters pretty cheap. Might be worth waiting to see if they do that again.

Heck, the 55 amp is only $180 with a $60 off coupon right now.

Anyone i know who has built a home cnc and had problems didn't buy a hypertherm.

The big problem with the cheaper plasmas is they are not shieled as well, so sometimes it will fuck with your table and cause it to make random moves.

Second, they do not always have a way to get arc voltage feed, which is required for any type of torch height controller. You can get by and run without though, but its not going to cut near as good.

Third, they will likely have issues keeping a steady plasma arc initiation, and will drop cuts.

For a hobbiest DIYer none of this will really matter, minus whatever material you scrap beyond saving. A sheet of 1/8" steel is right around 100 bucks. How man are you willing to scrap before you buy a hypertherm?

Used powermax 45's are getting easier to find nowadays.

The big problem with the cheaper plasmas is they are not shieled as well, so sometimes it will fuck with your table and cause it to make random moves.
Is this an issue with non HF plasmas as well? or only HF units?
Second, they do not always have a way to get arc voltage feed, which is required for any type of torch height controller. You can get by and run without though, but its not going to cut near as good.
Some of the mid level machines are including this option.

Used powermax 45's are getting easier to find nowadays.
I have not searched used , that is something I could look into. I am still a little bitter after paying to have my Everlast unit repaired.

Prime Days round 2 are Oct 10-11. When they did round 1 they had the YesWeld plasma cutters pretty cheap. Might be worth waiting to see if they do that again.

Heck, the 55 amp is only $180 with a $60 off coupon right now.
I have the blue version, it does surprising well. Way better than the 2 POS Everlasts I had.

It doesn't have alow air pressure switch though. So will still fire and melt down the tip if you have no ajr.

A straight / pencil style torch would be nice but not a requirement. Obviously a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics would be top of the line but probably not what a guy building a diy hobby table is looking to buy.
There are several import machines on the market that fit the bill. If anyone has any feedback on these machine please chime in.

Here are a few offerings.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com
This one has my eye.
There is machine torches available for it.

1695730623436.png

1695731285010.png

Last edited:
I have the blue version, it does surprising well. Way better than the 2 POS Everlasts I had.

It doesn't have alow air pressure switch though. So will still fire and melt down the tip if you have no ajr.

I was thinking about adding a low pressure switch on mine to pause the program, seems worthwhile.

Euro connector vs Traditional screw on? Input?

For the torch lead or power cord? My hypertherm has a plug-in torch which is nice for swapping out between machine torch and hand torch without moving the cutter.

I looked on FBMP last night and the XP Hypertherms are well over $1200 used.
I am not sure how I feel about buying something so electronic used with zero warranty.

I am not sure how I feel about buying something so electronic used with zero warranty.
Same here. I am considering purchasing a long protection plan if purchased through Amazon.

Is this an issue with non HF plasmas as well? or only HF units?

Some of the mid level machines are including this option.

I have not searched used , that is something I could look into. I am still a little bitter after paying to have my Everlast unit repaired.

I would not even try to use a HF on a CNC plasma... but the pilot arc plasmas also send off a TON of EM. Even my hypertherm would make the monitor scramble on my cnc plasma.

I would not even try to use a HF on a CNC plasma... but the pilot arc plasmas also send off a TON of EM. Even my hypertherm would make the monitor scramble on my cnc plasma.

I would not let your bitterness from your Everlast translate over to not wanting a hypertherm. While Everlast is one of the better china brands, it does not hold a candle to hypertherm. As far as Air plasma is concerned you will not find a better machine.

Most of my information comes from building my own table, and I have a build thread on here (but not super complete) and watching builds on the face book plasma pages. Jim Colt himself used to be pretty active on there and gave out a TON of information!

If its in general decent condition, clean, and you can test it on the spot I would not be too worried about a Hypertherm not being under warranty.

I got mine used on ebay for 1000 bucks. I ran that thing like a raped ape for two shifts cutting aluminum for about a year. The only reason I sold it is because I went to a Laser.

This was cut on a mostly 3d printed machine (MPCNC) using the Hynade, his first project BTW

1695735657909.jpeg
This is super impressive.

Any idea what control he used? I am pretty patrial to linux cnc. I personally liked it better then what came on my laser.

This is super impressive.

Any idea what control he used? I am pretty patrial to linux cnc. I personally liked it better then what came on my laser.
Linuxcnc, those guys were pretty impressed with it too, for a "first cut".

I have been getting my ass kicked trying to setup LinuxCNC. I finally got it functional but I had redone the INI so many times I forgot to add some pins on the TB3 so like a complete dumbass I ran pncconf again and fucked my only working config. :homer::mad3:

I really like LCNC but damn if itsn't alot more bits/bytes than I really am capable of working with.

Linuxcnc, those guys were pretty impressed with it too, for a "first cut".

The only reason I would call BS on first cut is he has to have done some little test cuts to scale in the voltage for the THC if he was running one. That being said… Linux is the shit and a great program and this is a testament to it.

Maybe this was the “first file” :p.

Where was this posted?

The only reason I would call BS on first cut is he has to have done some little test cuts to scale in the voltage for the THC if he was running one. That being said… Linux is the shit and a great program and this is a testament to it.

Maybe this was the “first file” :p.

Where was this posted?
Oh yeah Im not even suggesting a literal first more like you say first project.

It was on LinuxCNC forum, they guy is pretty uber nerd though so it wouldn't really surprise me if he calculated the shit to death before hand.

Look up Doug@design8studio

Looks like he is going off the Lowrider design. I want to say this guy made a wiring diagram that I ended up using. Made life WAY easier back then.

I am waiting to see some builds!Get some parts!!

I have made some guards with my 3D printer for my table
It didn't take ling for the heat/sparks to destroy them

I would hate to have important alignment parts made of stuff that will ne affected by sparks/heat

Looks like he is going off the Lowrider design. I want to say this guy made a wiring diagram that I ended up using. Made life WAY easier back then.

I am waiting to see some builds!Get some parts!!
Thats how I found him, that diagram.:smokin:

I was looking at FB marketplace again today and I just can't see spending A $4xxx for a new 85XP or B $1200+ for a used 45 when that new 80amp Hynade is $600... or $700 with 4 year no question warranty.

I want a Hypertherm for sure but there is no way at this stage of my NOT FOR PROFIT adventure I can swing the new price.

Top Back Refresh