What's new

New X3-tell me im an iditiot

YJ4Rox

Member Number
Loc
WV
Good SXS folks of IRate please talk me out of a new X3

A couple of dealers have decent discounts on 23 models. Specifically looking at a 72" XRC 2 seater. Marked down to 26.6k about $7k off.
WV and KY have endless riding for SXS. Really looking to get in the woods more often than just in the crawler. I can be in the dirt 15 minutes from the house versus hauling 1.5hr minimum to good crawler trails.

Used to race XC dirtbike, so really like jumps, blasting berms and just having fun. Wife likes trail riding.
Ive kicked the tires on the X3 since they were released and never pulled the trigger.

It would just be used for general trail riding in WV/KY/OH/PA/VA..

Better options at similar prices? Talon? KRX?
Pros/cons?

zero interest in low cages, high doors, 1000watt stereo and rave LED everywhere.

Should I just go super cheap and get the 72" segway Villan and deal with 100hp less :idea:

What would $26.6K do to your rock crawler to make it go faster? Could you just pay someone to do this for you instead of buying a new toy?

What would $26.6K do to your rock crawler to make it go faster? Could you just pay someone to do this for you instead of buying a new toy?
the only thing the buggy needs is rear steer, and for east coast im not sure it even needs that. It will never go fast, not intended for that its a true crawler

Different tools for different jobs I guess.

There's no doubt that the X3s are good machines, but they're more desert focused. I think the KRX is better for WV style trails. But since I own 2 of them I'm probably biased. :flipoff2:

There's no doubt that the X3s are good machines, but they're more desert focused. I think the KRX is better for WV style trails. But since I own 2 of them I'm probably biased. :flipoff2:
I havent even went and looked at a KRX yet. I know a guy with one and he loves it, but he is mainly back roading with it.

I ride mostly in the Ozarks and Ouachitas with mine and they're great for this type of terrain. I throw on a set of sticky 35" roxxillas to go crawling and it does so well I haven't felt the need to get my buggy going again.

Absolute blast in the desert. Not a fan in the rocks personally. The all independent suspension and clutching makes it like a "Monkey Fucking a Football" IMO.

Cage, Seats, and Intercom/Headsets are mandatory for me. I also have about a 30 mph average speed since I've had mine. I have also had mine up for sale off and on as it keeps distracting me from making progress on the buggy.

Riding with anybody else using a 72" machine in the trees?

the only thing the buggy needs is rear steer, and for east coast im not sure it even needs that. It will never go fast, not intended for that its a true crawler

Different tools for different jobs I guess.
Motor swap and long travel.

Absolute blast in the desert. Not a fan in the rocks personally. The all independent suspension and clutching makes it like a "Monkey Fucking a Football" IMO.

Cage, Seats, and Intercom/Headsets are mandatory for me. I also have about a 30 mph average speed since I've had mine. I have also had mine up for sale off and on as it keeps distracting me from making progress on the buggy.

Riding with anybody else using a 72" machine in the trees?
There are a lot of 72's with 35 roxillas around. The hatfield trail system is all pretty wide these days. Im not opposed to a 64" at all. Realistically 32's would be fine for what kind of riding i would be doing as well. Shoot the 64" turbo RR xc is currently less than a KRX.

I recently spent a week in AZ and every time I do the SXS itch comes back.

Motor swap and long travel.
I have a LS, coil overs and tons of other parts laying around to build a go fast crawler buggy but too many projects to work on for other people so little to no time to build another buggy from scratch.

There are a lot of 72's with 35 roxillas around. The hatfield trail system is all pretty wide these days. Im not opposed to a 64" at all. Realistically 32's would be fine for what kind of riding i would be doing as well. Shoot the 64" turbo RR xc is currently less than a KRX.

I recently spent a week in AZ and every time I do the SXS itch comes back.
If it fits, the extra wheel travel and stability of the 72 is worth it IMO.

I really do like my KRX. I’ve never been out east, but it’s a great crawling/trail machine around here and in CO. I wish the damned thing was quieter, and my buddy with an X3 always amazes me how much quieter his seems to be at low speed. I think that turbo is doing its turbo resonator thing, so something to think about. I wish I had more power in the dunes, but I love the toughness of the KRX. And that wet clutch setup is far far better than the other options out there.

I really do like my KRX. I’ve never been out east, but it’s a great crawling/trail machine around here and in CO. I wish the damned thing was quieter, and my buddy with an X3 always amazes me how much quieter his seems to be at low speed. I think that turbo is doing its turbo resonator thing, so something to think about. I wish I had more power in the dunes, but I love the toughness of the KRX. And that wet clutch setup is far far better than the other options out there.
Im going to go look at the KRX tomorrow. The Kubota dealer 15 miles from the house is now a Kawi dealer and has a few in stock.
It really does seem better suited for WV terrain. Can always add some boost to it too.

We rented a X3 in AZ last year and I liked it but it was a 4 seater and the WB sucked.

X3 is a solid machine, if you want to further convince yourself what a 64" X3 on 32 zillas will do on those exact trails go check out The Can Am Crew on youtube... they run the 120hp version base model in 64" flavor and a couple of their machines have 8-11k miles on them.

KRX is a badass machine as well, brother in law just got a '24 KRX trail a couple weekends ago and its a GREAT fit for a bigger/taller person, lots of aftermarket support, beefy parts, she is a big girl though.... wide and looong.... but great sight lines none the less I will say that the brother in laws KRX just feels low geared even in high range.... almost like it needs a set of 33s factory instead of 31s

biggest thing you will notice is the difference in seating position... the X3 you obviously know is laid back like a rock bouncer buggy where a KRX is built with a seating position more like an Eric Miller or Slawson U4 Car.

You can't go wrong with either of those machines up there for sure...

Reactions: DMG
Roomy doesnt sound like a bad thing as my buggy is super tiny inside. Had to notch the pass seat 4" to clear the atlas :laughing:
The X3 seating position wasnt bad but the KRX sounds more like what im used to.

The KRX does look LONNNG and tall. we have a ton of tight switchbacks but the 4 seaters seem to survive.

So a base KRX with 35's and a supercharger? :laughing::laughing:

I've ran a X3 for a few years throughout OK, AR, and Moab...pretty happy with it. I had a YXZ for 5 years before that...I liked the YXZ too, but the X3 is a better all around unit for me.

I've got a 22 64" RC I traded my YXZ for...looking to sell it if you might be interested. (wife prefers to ride)
IMG_5133.jpeg

And skid plates, a cage, and clutch weights and your done, anything else is preference.
That’s easy enough I have a stack of DOM a bender and some uhmw too 🤣

Shop a couple hours south is moving locations and have what appear to be good sale prices on base krx’s. Does $17999 sound terrible for a 2024? They have an ES for 20999. Romney has a 2024 trail edition for 22. But they are like 5hrs away.

While it is not a performance thing.......it is a thing.

WHAT are you going to do with it ? Flat out, all the time, trail ride, fireroads ?

Seems pretty trivial until your in it for hours.

The seating profile.

Some love it. Some hate it.

Sit in it, if the dealer is worth a shit, they will let you run it on their homemade dirt "course"

It is like a bowtie or a blue oval, many will go to their grave driving something they hate just because........

Roomy doesnt sound like a bad thing as my buggy is super tiny inside. Had to notch the pass seat 4" to clear the atlas :laughing:
The X3 seating position wasnt bad but the KRX sounds more like what im used to.

The KRX does look LONNNG and tall. we have a ton of tight switchbacks but the 4 seaters seem to survive.

So a base KRX with 35's and a supercharger? :laughing::laughing:

Its definitley comfortable room wise... Im built like a 6'3" 300lb yeti and I can stretch out.... :lmao:

The KRX cage I think is what makes it appear longer than it really is... even with bumpers front and rear my bro in laws machine and his neighbors Pioneer 1000 both fit on my 20' trailer with room to spare. May not need a supercharger... it makes 115 hp stock and thats only 5 less than the N/A X3...

Pic of us bringing home the new machines a couple weekends ago... trailer is 20' (18+2) for reference.

KRX Pioneer 06.jpg

Shop a couple hours south is moving locations and have what appear to be good sale prices on base krx’s. Does $17999 sound terrible for a 2024? They have an ES for 20999. Romney has a 2024 trail edition for 22. But they are like 5hrs away.

Brother in law was all in @ 23k OTD for his 2024 trail, there are lots of deals out there to be had now that the 'rona demand has died down.

I havent even went and looked at a KRX yet. I know a guy with one and he loves it, but he is mainly back roading with it.
An X3 will be more powerful but the KRX is tough and has a lot of suspension travel.

I’m fairly hard on stuff that’s why I have always been hesitant to get a sxs. Durability is definitely a plus.

Main purpose would be east coat trail riding. Fire road, to tight and twisty, etc. Hatfield McCoy stuff, local stuff, I used to have a decent 90mile loop for the dirt bike from the house that is all dirt, some gravel and atv paths. Keep in mind we have county roads that are just straight up creek beds.

Thanks for all the feedback

Do expect to replace the springs (at the very least tender springs) on any new unit in the first year or so. The KRX suspension is excellent, but even they used some sag-happy shit springs. At about the 8 month mark, you’ll notice that your ground clearance is well down. I think this is true of every manufacturer, no idea why. Same reason none of them have a semi-appropriate cage, I guess.

Edit: and a skid plate needs to go on instantly. Like was said already, a new cage definitely changes the proportions on the KRX. One thing I really like about mine is how wide he kept it at the top—better room for side-impact safety, better rain protection. Sorry for the massive image—I seem to have lost the ability to choose the size to upload.

IMG_7648.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s easy enough I have a stack of DOM a bender and some uhmw too 🤣

Where at? $17,999 is a good deal. I'm considering moving up to 1000cc from my 800 Teryx and a buddy is looking to replace his R-Max he totalled back in the summer.

keefers Kawasaki Polaris in Logan wv

Top Back Refresh