What's new

New PSC steering gear - too much slop?

freyguy

Member Number
Trying to get my son's 87 Chevy V20 road worthy for when he can drive by himself. The steering was pretty bad even with two new steering stabilizers the previous owner put on, so I put in an order through ORD. Went with the 2wd PSC box for crossover, put in an XJ steering shaft, new knuckle with fresh ball joints on the passenger side, new wheel bearings on both sides, and a new tie rod. The only related parts that I haven't touched is the driver side ball joints (they seem pretty solid), and the steering pump. The steering is much better now after the work and a quick toe adjustment, but there's still some slop in the wheel. I can turn the wheel a decent bit without any output from the steering gear. Is it too much slop or am I being picky? After spending a decent bit on trying to make it tight, I was expecting a bit more out of it.
-Hopefully the video loads alright.

Attachments

• B38190A6-B6E8-4F8A-B5F1-EBADAF56B496.mov
    64.9 MB
Host it privately on Youtube or imgur or something.

Is it a tilt column truck? The universal ball can develop slack, or there are some screws around it that can get loose and cause slop.

It is a fixed column truck, so I don't think there's much chance of play from it, and the XJ shaft was brand new. I found one for $56 on Amazon and figured it wasn't even worth driving to the junk yard for that price.

Hmmmm. Is there a spec for steering box backlash and a method to measure?

Yeah, I heard rumors the PSC boxes haven't been the most consistent lately. I did send them a email with their online form, but haven't heard back from them yet. It's not too noticeable at highway speeds/rpms, but steering is still a bit of a chore on the backroads.

Top Back Refresh