What's new

Need a 3/4-1 ton Truck for Long Hauls

I’m looking at crew cab 8’ bed trucks at the moment. On the used market there are more 99-06 Chevys fitting that bill.

This will be to tow the crawler, camp out of, and potentially haul 4 people at the same time.

and such. buy a cheap used utility trailer if you need the bed of the truck for truck stuff like scrap runs :flipoff2:

I’m looking at crew cab 8’ bed trucks at the moment. On the used market there are more 99-06 Chevys fitting that bill.

This will be to tow the crawler, camp out of, and potentially haul 4 people at the same time.

Crew cab 8' beds don't really exist in 1/2 tons. Have you decided to just go 3/4t or 1t?

If you don't plan to do it, there's not a real disadvantage to a 3/4t. Also gives the ability to add a cab over camper.

99+ superduty gas is better than the same Era Chevy in every way, and probably more common in cclb. I'd look at an 05-10 V10 to get the 5r110 over the 4r100 and better suspension. 08-10 will have an interior upgrade and 11+ will be 6.2/6r140 which is a great combo also.

Crew cab 8' beds don't really exist in 1/2 tons. Have you decided to just go 3/4t or 1t?

If you don't plan to do it, there's not a real disadvantage to a 3/4t. Also gives the ability to add a cab over camper.

99+ superduty gas is better than the same Era Chevy in every way, and probably more common in cclb. I'd look at an 05-10 V10 to get the 5r110 over the 4r100 and better suspension. 08-10 will have an interior upgrade and 11+ will be 6.2/6r140 which is a great combo also.

This thread has switched to 3/4-1 tons. :flipoff2:

Crazy because I found more Chevys fitting my bill than Fords within 500 miles from me.

Well, still looking for rust free 8.1 2500/3500 Chebby.

I’ve been eyeing one up, but their price is just sky high.

Let this inspire you:

:flipoff2:

Well now I’m back to also considering Fords. The 8.1’s that are clean are just stupidly priced.

I’m avoiding the 5.4, so what’s the best years to look for in a 6.2 gasser?

Well now I’m back to also considering Fords. The 8.1’s that are clean are just stupidly priced.

I’m avoiding the 5.4, so what’s the best years to look for in a 6.2 gasser?
I would avoid the 3v 5.4 but the 2v is fine. We just drove to Key Largo in a high top extended E350 van with a 5.4 and it has been great. Our last camper van had the same drivetrain. That said, i would rather have the V10 or 6.2.

I'm not aware of any changes in the 6.2 until they put the 10 speed behind it in apparently 1 2022 that my buddy bought. because everything else says they never put the 10 speed and 6.2 together :laughing:

I'd just be weary of work trucks, I mean, you're probably going to have to buy one, since not many people bought the 6.2s early on, just don't think the white cclb XL with 40k miles is going to be a cream puff. :flipoff2:

I'm not aware of any changes in the 6.2 until they put the 10 speed behind it in apparently 1 2022 that my buddy bought. because everything else says they never put the 10 speed and 6.2 together :laughing:

I'd just be weary of work trucks, I mean, you're probably going to have to buy one, since not many people bought the 6.2s early on, just don't think the white cclb XL with 40k miles is going to be a cream puff. :flipoff2:

I should just find one of the last years of the 7.3l. My dad’s last one was like an 01’ with 750,000 miles on the original drivetrain and still trucking along. Just didn’t want a diesel.

I’m definitely not looking at white ones. :flipoff2:

I should just find one of the last years of the 7.3l. My dad’s last one was like an 01’ with 750,000 miles on the original drivetrain and still trucking along. Just didn’t want a diesel.

If you can find a crew cab manual 7.3 for a decent price, sure, but basically impossible now.

Not to mention the 6.2 will eat up the 7.3 towing, sadly.

I know where there is a crew short 7.3 truck from texas so rust free

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh