What's new

Natural gas prices astronomical this weekend

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
Linkslide. Supposed to be my weekend off but everyone on our team got told they need us to work this weekend. Cold weather across the country has caused gas prices to skyrocket.

https://www.naturalgasintel.com/spot...record-demand/

Spot gas prices in the Midcontinent, often the cheapest in the Lower 48, surged to as high as $600.00/MMBtu on Friday as snow, ice and subfreezing temperatures saturated the region.

Oneok Gas Transmission, aka OGT, had been gaining traction over the past couple of days as a train of winter storms began barreling across the United States. At the start of the week, the Oklahoma point was trading in the $3.00 range. By Friday, no transaction was executed below $125.00.

Last edited:
Wow :smokin:

i'm really looking forward to our cheap energy costs, comparatively. if nat. gas can stay at these levels, solar and wind will be a godsend at half that price! :flipoff2:

Just bought a brand spankin new Harmon pellet stove last Monday.

My nat. Gas heating bill was getting out of control.

Speculatin that there are speculators hitting the "market". Time for Communism to shut this shit down and kill the capitalist pigs . :laughing:

interesting, a way to scalp the cities selectively, as rural places don't have natural gas infrastructure
I imagine propane prices will jump shortly, though maybe not as you can't just toss propane down the gas pipelines, gotta crack it first or everyone needs to change out their orifices (which isn't going to happen)

Yep, it was a perfect storm for our plant. We burned up the bags in our coal system dust collector and were running on natural gas. The poco told us that we wouldn't be able to get enough gas matter the price so we rolled out the kiln and shut down until Monday.

Prooane, last year was about 1.80, about 2.70 now. I found some charts that showed several years prices. Last year was pretty flat. Big climb this year

Prooane, last year was about 1.80, about 2.70 now. I found some charts that showed several years prices. Last year was pretty flat. Big climb this year

LPG was $32 for a 40# cylinder last summer from my supplier... I just refilled tonight at $32 for 40#.

Maybe I have the hookup? Doubtful, as I filled the 40# and a 15# last summer with my RV, and haven't been back since.

Of course, this is per cyl price, not bulk... I would probably pay more for the RV fill these days compared to last summer.

Last edited:
Perfect disaster. Unprecedented cold over a long holiday weekend. It's going to be miserably busy for traders and schedulers in some (most regions). They sure could make a ton of $$$ though.

LPG was $32 for a 40# cylinder last summer from my supplier... I just refilled tonight at $32 for 40#.

Maybe I have the hookup? Doubtful, as I filled the 40# and a 15# last summer with my RV, and haven't been back since.

Of course, this is per cyl price, not bulk... I would probably pay more for the RV fill these days compared to last summer.

gas station near me charges $65 to fill a 100lber
the attendants they got are fuckin idiots that don't understand what tare weight means though, so they fill all of them to only 170lbs, even if you've got that one motherfucker with a 98lb tare weight stamp
it's like 3 bucks a gallon, so way cheaper to have a yard tank and get it fuckin' delivered

[486 said:
;n309230]

gas station near me charges $65 to fill a 100lber
the attendants they got are fuckin idiots that don't understand what tare weight means though, so they fill all of them to only 170lbs, even if you've got that one motherfucker with a 98lb tare weight stamp
it's like 3 bucks a gallon, so way cheaper to have a yard tank and get it fuckin' delivered

That's why I use my guy. Checks tare weight, and sets it accordingly. Always a full fill.

But for what I use, its not worth the hassle of a fixed tank. My garage is insulated, and I have a 1500w electric oil filled radiator in there for heat. When it goes sub-zero, the garage can dip below freezing... which would turn my deep freezers into food warming stations. Only on these short stretches will I add my Hunting Buddy heater in there on low during the day and on high at night. This keeps the garage in the 40s-50s, and my freezers full of meat happy.

I have natural gas to the home, and have considered both putting a NG heater in there separately, or adding the plumbing to the boiler system to put a couple small radiators in the garage. Until then, however, this setup works fine.

Natural gas has been cheap as hell because it was all associated gas from the shale plays. Drill an oil well, get natural gas. Oil went to shit because planes are not flying and the Democrats shut everything down. Everyone shut down oil rigs because oil was way oversupplied. Hardly anyone was drilling just gas wells. That stooped when natural gas prices plummeted back in 2010? Now gas supplies will be low and prices will go up.

Natural gas has been cheap as hell because it was all associated gas from the shale plays. Drill an oil well, get natural gas. Oil went to shit because planes are not flying and the Democrats shut everything down. Everyone shut down oil rigs because oil was way oversupplied. Hardly anyone was drilling just gas wells. That stooped when natural gas prices plummeted back in 2010? Now gas supplies will be low and prices will go up.

Yep. Hilariously, all that associated natural gas from that nasty nasty oil is a major driver for the US carbon emissions to drop dramatically. Stop oil permitting, and natural gas prices will jump, pushing more electricity production back to coal.

That's unrelated to this weekend, though--this is surely a small short-term blip on the overall slower climb of natural gas prices.

That's why I use my guy. Checks tare weight, and sets it accordingly. Always a full fill.

But for what I use, its not worth the hassle of a fixed tank. My garage is insulated, and I have a 1500w electric oil filled radiator in there for heat. When it goes sub-zero, the garage can dip below freezing... which would turn my deep freezers into food warming stations. Only on these short stretches will I add my Hunting Buddy heater in there on low during the day and on high at night. This keeps the garage in the 40s-50s, and my freezers full of meat happy.

I have natural gas to the home, and have considered both putting a NG heater in there separately, or adding the plumbing to the boiler system to put a couple small radiators in the garage. Until then, however, this setup works fine.

I've been thinking lately about having a separate boiler shed, mainly because I'm planning on a couple different fuel sources because retard reasons. Have a wood firebox and an oil burner vented through the same heat exchanger/flue. Then a propane water heater as backup. Would just go with a waste oil burner, but I just burn so much garbage in my current wood stove that I'd really miss having one.
make it big enough to fit a couple cars and a couple skids of wood, as then I wouldn't have to park wet cold dripping shitpiles in the shed or house garage
waste heat should be enough to keep it fairly warm in there
currently parking outside and it sucks

Glad I have a propane tank big enough to fill once a year.

I wonder, can you get a pump system and storage tank for NG? Off to google I go......

In short, not really from what I read at one point. Buddies have gas wells on their places and I looked.

I wonder, can you get a pump system and storage tank for NG? Off to google I go......

you can, but CNG is really really really low energy density unless you go with insane pressures, and then you're putting more energy into compression than there is in the gas
they either liquify it cryogenically (it's mostly methane, look up the p/t chart for that) or store it in old oil wells with huge compressors

Glad I have a propane tank big enough to fill once a year.

Natural gas is a gas, so no you cannot pump it unless you make liquified natural gas, LNG, at -260F. You can compress it and store it at 5000 psi’s in a sphere or cylinders, CNG. The energy density is just not enough to do this for residential, there fore, you have pipelines. Natural gas is stored in natural salt caverns or domes.

what is going on this weekend is simple supply and demand in a micro economic fashion. Spike in demand without any way to provide supply to meet that demand. The bigger issue is going to be long term supply. Prices have to go up. Right now it is supplied because the oil makes the money. Shut down all these oil rigs, and gas supply will go down and demand is increasing every day. If domestic oil production continues to decrease as the current admin is regulating it do, natural gas supplies will go down, prices up, and you will be paying $5 at the pump and your heating and electricity bill will also go up. Welcome back to the Obama years. Before the shale boom, gas was at $12 MMSCF, today it is $2.89. Expect that to end up around $7-8 in two years. Expect oil to be $80 and the USA back to importing oil.

you can not shove non economical energy, wind, solar, and hydrogen down people’s throats at the energy prices we have had the last four years. You must create a fake competitive advantage by regulation the hell out of oil and gas. The citizen is then the one paying for the unicorn farts and rainbows.

Speculatin that there are speculators hitting the "market". Time for Communism to shut this shit down and kill the capitalist pigs . :laughing:

The only problem is that it's Fascism for the 0.01%....

It will be communism for the rest of the serfdom slaves...

Propane was 2.50 per at last fill, time to get the wood stove installed ricky tic.

My lease is going to expire next year hope it goes up,don't think anyone is offering leases at this time.

We were discussing Colstrip 3 shutting down this morning with our electrical engineer and he mentioned that with all of the coal fired power plants shutting down and solar and wind being shit in this weather every Nat gas plant is running flat out.

Top Back Refresh