What's new

Nasdaq Seeks Board-Diversity Rule That Most Listed Firms Don't Meet

nahmus

Refugee from syrup
Member Number
Loc
East Coast
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nasdaq-proposes-board-diversity-rule-for-listed-companies-11606829244

meat of the article
The exchange operator filed a proposal with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday that would require listed companies to have at least one woman on their boards, in addition to a director who is a racial minority or one who self-identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer. Companies that don’t meet the standard would be required to justify their decision to remain listed on Nasdaq.

So much for studying and working hard to get ahead. I also feel sorry for everyone that fits the above descriptions that did get there by hard work. Now they will just be viewed as a token in the compoany

Should be easy to get ahead, just start identifying as a woman/gay/whatever, but keep dressing and acting like you do now (if a man), sue them when they challenge you, win and watch woke heads pop.

Should be easy to get ahead, just start identifying as a woman/gay/whatever, but keep dressing and acting like you do now (if a man), sue them when they challenge you, win and watch woke heads pop.

I was going to ask if self-identifying counts....

I saw this earlier this morning. Talk about some BS. Now it doesn't matter if you are the best person for the job, it only matters based upon if you fit in their little box or not.

Identity politics, welcome to Corporate America.

I saw this earlier this morning. Talk about some BS. Now it doesn't matter if you are the best person for the job, it only matters based upon if you fit in their little box or not.

this will break it before it makes it

the funny thing is, they think they are doing this to "solve equality problems", when really, it's just the same as "well, each team has to include the retarded kid on your team to play kickball during recess". Forcing this is not equality, it's doing the bare minimum to comply with the rules.

If I were a woman, or a minority, or whatever else that all of a sudden gets promoted to the board, I would be angry, knowing that they did it only because they had to.

the funny thing is, they think they are doing this to "solve equality problems", when really, it's just the same as "well, each team has to include the retarded kid on your team to play kickball during recess". Forcing this is not equality, it's doing the bare minimum to comply with the rules.

If I were a woman, or a minority, or whatever else that all of a sudden gets promoted to the board, I would be angry, knowing that they did it only because they had to.

why get angry? identify as queer and offer up to all these boards a choice to put you on their payroll for ~$20k/year, represent the boards of 10 or so companies and do fuckall and enjoy.

Even more if you were a legitimately good candidate for the board that was going to be promoted before this nonsense. Now you are just assumed to be there because they checked a box regardless of your accomplishments. That's got to make you feel good inside.

What if no one from those special classes want that job with a particular company? There is no way to prove one way or the other

What if no one from those special classes want that job with a particular company? There is no way to prove one way or the other

If I was a minority I would start a thing like Carbon Credits market. I'd sell you my families and my minority status.

I'll sell them my wife's minority status, if they will pay (she is not using it) .

Hell, I'll even claim to be gay and I can sell them mine too.

If I was a minority I would start a thing like Carbon Credits market. I'd sell you my families and my minority status.

I'll sell them my wife's minority status, if they will pay (she is not using it) .

Hell, I'll even claim to be gay and I can sell them mine too.

yeah that isn't a bad idea.

might have to file some LLC paperwork going forward.

"sexual and gender minority board membership for hire" :laughing:

"Potentially, companies that fail to meet the requirements could be delisted, though Nasdaq executives say that is unlikely. Companies could satisfy the rule by making a disclosure that explaining why they aren’t meeting Nasdaq’s diversity target—for instance, because they have a different philosophy regarding diversity. Only firms that don’t make such a disclosure could face delisting proceedings."

So you can stay all white and male so long as you fill out the proper disclosure. This initiative is just feel-good BS.

"Non-U.S. companies could also satisfy Nasdaq’s diversity requirements by appointing board members from groups that are underrepresented in their countries."

That means a company from the middle east, Asia, or Africa can appoint a white male to their boards since what males are underrepresented over there. :laughing:

HIPAA is dead... First casualty in the "COVID Pandemic"

They were going to kill it in the name of "Sensible Gun Control" next year anyway. We just killed it 6 months early.

How can we let a person with mental health issues have a gun and how will we know if they have those issue if we don't see their medical records.

They were going to kill it in the name of "Sensible Gun Control" next year anyway. We just killed it 6 months early.

How can we let a person with mental health issues have a gun and how will we know if they have those issue if we don't see their medical records.

already did that here in WA state

It's behind a pay wall. Can someone cut and paste the text?

Here is basically the same article from AP

Nasdaq is pushing for the more than 3,000 companies listed on its U.S. stock exchange to make their boardrooms less overwhelmingly male and white by hiring directors that better reflect the country’s diverse population.
The company filed a proposal Tuesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission that, if approved, would require all companies on the exchange to disclose the breakdowns of their boards by race, gender and sexual orientation. Companies that do not comply could be delisted, or kicked off the exchange.
The proposal would also require most Nasdaq-listed companies to have at least two diverse directors or, if they cannot meet the mandate, to explain why not. That could include one board member who is female and one who is either an underrepresented racial minority or LGBTQ. Foreign companies and smaller companies would have additional flexibility in satisfying this requirement with two female directors.

Nasdaq’s plan ups the stakes in what was already a widening push by shareholders and governments around the world for more diversity on corporate boards, which often are composed of mostly white men.
It’s not just a sense of fairness. Proponents say greater board diversity can improve financial performance for companies — and ultimately their stock prices — by bringing in varying opinions and voices and fostering a better understanding of employee and customer bases.
In its proposal, Nasdaq cited a report from the Carlyle Group investment company, which found that companies it invested in that have at least two diverse board members have nearly 12% more earnings growth per year than the average of companies that lack diversity.
Companies have heard the criticism and made some moves toward increased diversity, but progress has been slow.
Women hold just 23.1% of board seats at companies in the Russell 3000, a broad index that includes most of the U.S. stock market. That’s up from about 15% in 2016, according to executive-data firm Equilar.
Progress in improving racial diversity on boards has been slower. One difficulty is that tracking racial and ethnic diversity has been tougher than measuring gender diversity, with companies often not disclosing such data, something that Nasdaq hopes its proposal can help ameliorate.
“Corporate diversity, at all levels, opens up a clear path to innovation and growth,” Nelson Griggs, president of the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, said in a prepared statement.

The SEC declined to comment on Nasdaq’s proposal specifically, but it has made diversity a greater emphasis and released its first diversity and inclusion strategic plan earlier this year.
”We welcome dialogue on how to improve diversity, inclusion and opportunity in the financial services sector and our economy more broadly,” SEC Chairman Jay Clayton said in a statement.
Shareholders are increasingly pushing companies to improve their board diversity, both in public and in private. Big investors are trying to cajole executives through private channels. For example, Nuveen, which invests $1.1 trillion globally, has been pushing a group of smaller and mid-sized companies without a woman on their board to add one. It’s seen more than 30% of them add a woman, as of 2019.
In public, investors are getting more chances to vote at companies’ annual meetings on shareholder resolutions seeking more disclosures on the makeup of the board.
Governments are also requiring improved disclosures or mandating better representation. California was a high-profile example when it required all publicly held companies headquartered in the state to have at least one female director by the end of 2019, the first state with such an edict. After California, other states quickly considered following suit.
Such efforts have met some resistance, though.
In Illinois, state Rep. Emanuel “Chris” Welch introduced a bill that would have required publicly held companies headquartered in the state to have at least one female director and one African American director on the board by the end of 2020.
“I never expected a push for diversity to cause one of the most hotly debated bills on the floor of the year,” said Welch, a Democrat. But that’s what he said happened.
Early opposition came from manufacturers, who worried they may need to kick someone off the board who was not a woman or an African American to comply. That could invite a separate claim of discrimination, even though manufacturers support diversity throughout the business, said Mark Denzler, president and CEO of the Illinois Manufacturers’ Association.
The final bill, signed into law last year, no longer had the diversity mandate. Instead, it required only that companies report each year on their boards’ racial and gender breakdowns. Denzler’s group was neutral on the final bill.
At the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, officials were supportive of Nasdaq’s proposal on Tuesday. Tom Quaadman, executive vice president at the chamber’s center for capital markets competitiveness, called it a “business led solution to resolving diversity issues on corporate boards.”
“This proposal will help accelerate the developments that are already underway and is a positive and balanced way to get to the end result of allowing boards to be more representative of a business’s consumer and employee base,” he said in a statement.
The Nasdaq’s U.S. exchange is dominated by technology companies, but there are many financial, biotech and industrial companies as well.
Nasdaq began in 1971 with the world’s first electronic stock market and is home to many of the tech world’s most iconic companies, including Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Google’s parent company. In 2016, Adena Friedman became its CEO, the first woman to lead a major U.S. exchange

Well they gave the companies a gimme with it, in the wording it says one person has to "Self identify" as an alphabet. It does not say they actually have to be gay. So rather than hiring an actual alphabet person, they can have some unfortunate bastard draw the short straw who now has to say they identify as a letter

Well they gave the companies a gimme with it, in the wording it says one person has to "Self identify" as an alphabet. It does not say they actually have to be gay. So rather than hiring an actual alphabet person, they can have some unfortunate bastard draw the short straw who now has to say they identify as a letter

the gimme is writing a letter stating why they don't comply.

public shaming, that's what's important

I really wish we still had men like Andrew Carnegie and JD Rockefeller running businesses to see how they would react to this kind of stuff. The tweets would be amazing.

I'm guessing some of the bigger players are going to leave and start their own exchange. That or 95% of the straight male CEOs will suddenly claim the ghey.

Top Back Refresh