What's new

Napa prices

Every time I drive by the old warehouse, I sure miss those nights. I wish I would’ve known that era was coming to an end. :frown:

It's similar to this

242cae2e6d46c9789124c195e4618daa375808fa7543b2dca614214b9b73ce70_1.jpg

We had an old pop machine in rhe back filled with Coors Lite :homer:
:laughing: we used to use the vending machine to chill our beers at my old shop, sometimes we would forget one or two and someone would get a silver bullet instead of Diet Coke. The lock didn’t work on it, so we could go grab a coke when we got ourselves a bottle of whiskey instead. :laughing:
It's similar to this

Yup. Right in the feels. :frown:

I think its like any other parts store, online shopping has killed a lot of their business. You have two choices, a store that has knowledgable employees with parts at higher prices, or lower priced parts with "my computer doesnt show that".
Used to be a profession with dedicated people who knew their shit. Now it's no better than " would you like fries with that".

100% this. I know all the guys at all 3 of my brothers Napa stores. They aren't the bullshit autozone employees that ask you of your vehicle is 2wd or 4wd when you just need wiper blades. They have come up with some crazy shit. They are very knowledgeable, and for me, I have no issue paying more for that.

If I have questions or want to bring in a part to match, I go to NAPA or one of the local Carquest's. They all have knowledgeable people working the counters. If I know exactly what I want I typically use Rockauto or some other online source.
One of the local NAPA's used to run my stuff under the public school's account so I'd get a discount. I don't work for the school and didn't know the owner/manager outside of coming in to buy shit, so I really appreciated that.

I thought (assumed) this was the case, but I bought 10 (yes ten) of their 800 CCA Group 24 Marine/RV batteries. The counter monkeys were more interested in answering the phone, than helping folks in the store, should add that to the pet peeve thread. After being ignored by a couple guys, someone finally asks what I needed, I told them, and confirmed, yes I needed 10, no one was ignoring me anymore, but one of the guys that decided to answer the phone instead of help me, said to the guy actually helping me, 'too bad we don't work on commission." That stuck with me, because I always assumed they did.

I went to NAPA to get brake hoses for the W250, wanting to get decent parts, I got the Napa Gold line, "Made in China" on all 3 boxes, I guess everything is nowadays.

I straight up asked the two counter guys at our NAPA. They said they wished they worked for commission.

I don't even think the manager does. I spent $700 there in two days, and he ended up giving me all the tools I had picked out for free, which were all Carlisle (however that's spelled), and totaled up more than $50.

The two counter guys are the only two employees they have at the counter, so it's nice knowing you're working with the same people every day. Both of them are into street cars, and both of them build their own stuff. I'll drive right by an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and go the next day to NAPA if I need something.

About 13 years ago I got 86ed out of NAPA. A few years ago ownership changed. I went in a couple of years ago for a fan belt I wanted that day for my 36 International. I had already made 3 trips to Carquest trying all the sizes they had in stock. By then I was pissed enough and knew the exact size I wanted I went in NAPA. I called the other 3 in town first and no one else had it. I got my belt and haven't been back again.

A few years ago I was in a napa for a simple part for a mid 90s vortec. Guy said 'Not in stock, I can order it.' I thought, 'so can I', walked out, and have been using rock auto or amazon ever since. I can choose from OEM or knockoff, and it comes right to my door.

My local NAPA guy is a great dude but I kept hearing that from him too so I went back to Advance for my "have to have it today" parts. Also Napa never had more than one person at the counter so if you saw more than one truck in the lot you were in for a wait while he heard about the grandbabies and pets.

Anything for a special project get researched by me and ordered on line. The local stores don't keep oddball internal parts for old stuff in stock. But you can get a Honda alternator all day!

I get an awesome discount at our local NAPA. But, you have to look up the parts yourself online beforehand. Good luck otherwise. Online usually has a bunch of discounts too that the counter guys don't acknowledge.

I haven't been to Napa in a long time. The one in town closed and the next closest is ran by an old douche canoe. I use to always go to napa because it was where my dad went so the owner knew us. The CarQuest in town had banker hours and OReilly was ful of tards. I had to find my own parts on the computer a couple times. I stopped buying parts at Napa and only oil change stuff and batteries when I had something like the 8th part in a row not fit. I mean box is marked right but it was like the part shrunk, or swelled or mounts in the wrong places. They struggled once to have the right alternator for an 88 chevy. I started going to the CarQuest for parts because their hours got better and they had great counter guys. In the city I live in now I go to ORielly's but thats cause its them or autozone. They all seem to be priced about the same. I usually buy on Rockauto;
Picture0630201333_1.jpg

I don't usually mind paying a little for service but most of the stuff is +30% cheaper online with shipping, and I can pick the brand. I buy fluids now at Walmart because they are usually half the price of parts stores. I hate doing it but can't afford not to.

I hated the tiered pricing they have at Napa. You have an account, you get this price, regular Joe gets another and frequent customers get another price, friends get yet another. I get I'm not buying a ton of parts per month there, but there's no real reason I should continue to shop there if they have the same parts as somebody else yet charge more because I'm not part of the in crowd for them. The only local Napa to me closed a couple of years ago so I just use RockAuto mostly or Advanced Auto if I need it ASAP.

I do hate most of the national chains due to their workers mostly. Most of my vehicles are not stock, so I go in looking for a GM 1 wire alternator for my swapped Jeep and it's like I'm asking them to solve a calculus equation. I actually started keeping a spreadsheet so I can keep track of the year, make, and model of the source vehicle just to make it easier for the computer jockeys.

I straight up asked the two counter guys at our NAPA. They said they wished they worked for commission.

I don't even think the manager does. I spent $700 there in two days, and he ended up giving me all the tools I had picked out for free, which were all Carlisle (however that's spelled), and totaled up more than $50.

The two counter guys are the only two employees they have at the counter, so it's nice knowing you're working with the same people every day. Both of them are into street cars, and both of them build their own stuff. I'll drive right by an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and go the next day to NAPA if I need something.

I dont know how the Napa corporate stores are but I know with my brother's 3 franchisee stores that he owns, he pays all of his employees hourly wages and that is it. No commission.

Top Back Refresh