What's new

Name That Manual

Lilyota

RIP 7/22/2023
Member Number
Loc
Bolivar MO
1676030427430-png.644886

I've driven a hand full of these, but there's some that have me baffled:laughing:

And what the hell is the "V" about in the first box second row?

Is G granny? I also expected a lot more big truck transmissions since they are going automatic now as well

Alas, no Deuce and a Half pattern represented.

The 7 spd in the C7 corvette feels weird. It feels strange to have that one gear just hanging way out there. That could probably be said for all odd number geared manuals, that's just the one I've driven.

Twin Stick shifter one for ratio and one for direction?
Probably. Old 12 speed Spicers had that. Never got to drive that truck tho.12 forward and 12 reverse.
4 speed manual in the double decker Greyhounds used a directional mechanism. Shove it up in first, press the button and you are backing up. IDK how it was done tho. Drove a couple of those on moderately long trips.

Forth over on top is VW Bug. The third row down and second in is Delorean. (Although it is probably most five speed trannys)

Nor is there the similar "5spd OD" pattern that all those MDTs with an OD trans had back in the day.

clark_282v_26b65212ce45e839357ce0690bc5efedd4b76d1c.jpg
IIRC, when splitting gears I would have the TC in low, go three four the TC in high and 3 4 5 again. I'd avoid starting in 1 in either range unless needed because the truck could slow down too much by the time you upshifted, and would avoid starting in 2 (hi or lo) because apparently that one is a weak point inside the tranny on account of a keyway or somesuch. Front axle out for all of this, usually.

I learned to drive with 3 on the tree. Have owned 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds and a few autos.

Half of the above chart I have NEVER seen. :laughing: A couple of them look like motorcycle shift patterns too. 1st gear down, one up for neutral and up for 2,3 and 4. I had a little dirt bike when I was 12 or so with that pattern... in fact all of my old dirt bikes or atc's had em. :homer:

I thought SM465 was over and down for R? It's been a couple years now since I owned one but that is how I remember it?

Edit: according to Novak I am correct.

Quote: The shifting pattern for the 465 is in the standard "H" pattern with reverse gear being to the right side, and down.

Last edited:
I drove a Autocar rig up truck that had this transmission

You never used 1 going down the road in the aux. transmission
The weight of your load dictated how many gears you used.

64ACE06D-84ED-42F5-BBA9-C0604BA9DBE5.jpeg

Top Back Refresh