What's new

My sister could use some help

Does the go fund me, show any of the money sent from here, or are yu keeping it seperate?

It's all seperate. Whoever asked for the titty pics sent additional money which will then make the auditors think I followed up with the pic request.

$1285 from Irate. It is much more than I imagined and we are thankful. There is also a few hundred $$ in GoFundme from great people I've met through Jeeping.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Any potential for a medical insurance claim on the doctor or facility that did the colonoscopy?
I always expected if they screw up on a routine thing, they settle it without need for a lawyer to go malpractice.

It sounds more like they did a colon resection following finding from a colonoscopy.

Anastomosis leaks happen in this type of surgery, and it sucks when they do. The Anastomosis is the joint at the two ends of the colon after they remove the damaged section. It is part of the risks she was hopefully about when she signed consent for this surgery. Unless there was some type of negligence, this is a not uncommon complication and it is very possible no one is at fault.

My mom updated the gofundme with this info on Friday:

Kelly is still at University Hospital in Ann Arbor. At this time she is being treated for “anastomotic leak between gastrointestinal structures”. She has a large abscess and hematoma in her intestinal cavity, she’s had 4 surgeries in 3 weeks beginning with what should have been surgery to remove a large (6+ cm) polyp discovered in routine colonoscopy. She developed an infection, abscess, hostile colon. And here we are.

What I've heard... My short story of it.
Small growth was discoverd. It could be cancerous some day.

Doc was told of her history which included "she should not ever have surgery down there". She had some twisted intestines 25 years ago and there was scar tissue from that. Whatever happened 25 years ago wasn't an easy surgery.

Doc said, no big deal, I'll do it laparoscopic.

Turned out he tried to do it laparoscopic but found out he couldn't so he opened her up. Then this mess happened.

I imagine the follow up after the 1st procedure weeks ago was very poor. She was in the hosipital for a few extra days because of slow recovery then she was sent home. Basically there was no recovery.

Kelly had her stomach to nose drain tube removed yesterday and was able to drink a tiny bit of water for the 1st time. So that is progress. Currently she is beeing fed through parenteral nutrition. (PN) is intravenous (IV) feeding direct into the bloodstream.

Thanks for the update Kris. Still praying for her. See you in May!

As always. Thank you. Irate has now helped over $2000. An additional $500 from the 4x4 community.

My mom quit her job and retired again and is now focusing on helping Kelly and her family.

Got an update form my mom this morning stating Kelly was able to sip on some apple juice.
She is also mobile now.
Seeing the stuff she is currently attached to is sad.
Seeing her up and walking around is awesome.

You guys are awesome.

IMG_20240322_103047.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be quick for today. I dont think she can eat or drink much of anything. Next steps are wait 2-3 months to see if things heal at all. During that time she will be tube fed.

but....

She went home to the UP yesterday. I am heading "home" to the UP this weekend and will see her on Saturday.

I understand I owe everyone a good update and I will follow up after the weekend.

I didnt realize this thread was even stickied till just a couple days ago. I appreciate that as well. Thanks everyone.

Ok. how about that update?
Easter was great. When at my moms place she wasn't hooked up to anything and was up walking around and overall looked really really good. We knew ahead of time she would be a little crabby she couldn't eat. Because of that we were all ok not having a dinner. Snacks and stuff were in the finished basement recroom and out of sight.

She had some belly pain the last couple of days. She went up to Marquette, MI yesterday to have a scan. No emergency but they said she should go to Ann Arbor again.

Options were:
My mom drives her. 450 miles
Transport by ambulance
Transport by med flight.

For whatever reason... The flight showed up and that's the she was transported. Marquette said "Insurance should cover it" :shaking: I assume it's a 400mile helicopter ride. I could very well be wrong.

Stuff like this causes drama. Why wasnt she just driven if it was an option? I have heard that med flights are typically covered by insurance and ambulance rides are not. Not sure on truth there. I think it depends on the emergency situation.

Marquette is the good hospital in the area. Iron Mountain not soo much. I don't think Marquette wants to touch her given her history and their expertise etc...

I assume she will be in Ann Arbor for a few days and in and out of hospitals will be normal for awhile...

Best of luck. Thanks for the update. Don’t forget next time :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh