What's new

My next whitetail caliber

Why make an easy choice so goddamn complicated? You already have a 30-06, go fuckin use it

Never get the urge to try something different?
Not for hunting, but if for just recreational shooting I would understand that. For hunting I just stick to the tried and true, which in my case is a .30-06 :grinpimp:

Not for hunting, but if for just recreational shooting I would understand that. For hunting I just stick to the tried and true, which in my case is a .30-06 :grinpimp:
My tried and true has always been the 35 rem, but that's all but gone away at this point. I've got a hard time shooting bullets I can't replace.

These work great on deer from a .30-06, and have basically no recoil when you’re twisted around a weird way in a janky ass climber to make a shot.

I bought a pair of the Howa mini actions in 6mm ARC for my boys, IMO it is the perfect youth/smaller persons deer cartridge. Yes, factory ammo favors long range projectiles, but I have a bunch of 100 gr Hornady Interlocks that should be awesome on deer at ~ 2,750 fps, with extremely little recoil.

You’re considering a .243, but not the 6mm ARC since it’s “a long range cartridge.” The .243 is to it what the .300 Win Mag is to the .308. Same class of projectiles, with a magnum powder charge.

Obviously that’s the way they market it, since it’s what drives sales. Jethro is out there squeezing off 3” groups at his 100 yard range with a $60 NC Star scope and gritty 8 lb trigger, talking about how he’s “got a 1,000 yard gun.”

These work great on deer from a .30-06, and have basically no recoil when you’re twisted around a weird way in a janky ass climber to make a shot.

I bought a pair of the Howa mini actions in 6mm ARC for my boys, IMO it is the perfect youth/smaller persons deer cartridge. Yes, factory ammo favors long range projectiles, but I have a bunch of 100 gr Hornady Interlocks that should be awesome on deer at ~ 2,750 fps, with extremely little recoil.

You’re considering a .243, but not the 6mm ARC since it’s “a long range cartridge.” The .243 is to it what the .300 Win Mag is to the .308. Same class of projectiles, with a magnum powder charge.

Obviously that’s the way they market it, since it’s what drives sales. Jethro is out there squeezing off 3” groups at his 100 yard range with a $60 NC Star scope and gritty 8 lb trigger, talking about how he’s “got a 1,000 yard gun.”
That's a good point. I'll have to look more into the 6mm arc. Right now I'm gonna roll with the 30-06. If it was good enough for 2 world wars its good enough for deer season.

the 6Arc will prob be my next gun caliber but talk about limited ammo. Nothing on the shelves for quite awhile and anything there is $$$.

Not interested in 30-30 though.

bart-simpson-walking-away.gif

Everybody oughtta have a 243. Howa mini in a grendel wouldnt be bad. 223 with a half decent bullet will knock the stuffin out of a deer just as well as anything else.....
I shot a little doe at 100yrds with my new geisselle superduty 556. put a 1x10 lpvo on it and my ab raptor. nice tight groups and quiet. made the shot and heard her hit the ground. :laughing:

Deer arent as bulletproof as folks make them out to be:flipoff2:

We have killed them with .40 patched round balls. I cant think of any projectile that is less impressive than that:lmao:

Deer arent as bulletproof as folks make them out to be:flipoff2:

We have killed them with .40 patched round balls. I cant think of any projectile that is less impressive than that:lmao:

and in the same breath, i can attest to watching a deer take a 300 RUM, knock down, and then live for 4 more years.

Shot placement is everything.

7.62x54R has been very effective for me lately, iron sights

but you got a 30-06, same shit, just try diff loads

Meh, I have use a 30-06 since I was allowed to hunt, and my dad did the same. That said, I enjoy my .303 brit, 30-30. My dad uses .243 with good results.

If you like lever guns, .44 mag. Bolt guns, .243, 270, 6.5 swed, 308....basically pick you flavor of .30-06 bolt face..

Out of curiosity....and not google searching cause of work, can you not load .357 bullets, or .350 legend bullets? I would think those 2 things would keep that alive...yes, i know they might be diff, but cant verify. :homer:

6.5 Grendel and .450 Bushmaster have been my typical hunting cartridges for the past several years, and I like them a lot. Especially the .450 Bushmaster.

450 Bushmaster.
We've all switched to it in our camp. We run a couple single shots, a bolt, and the AR I built last year. Longest shot we've taken was ~175 yards. DRT. All the way into 20 yards and same result. The only one we've had run was I knicked the artery to the outside on a neck shot and she ran a long way, good enough blood trail to find though. Not many long shot options in our hills and woods. Sounds like you're about the same as far as terrain.
I had a 350 Legend before the 450. Flatter and faster, but bullet choice is far more important if the shot gets too close and you can go through the dome.

Top Back Refresh