What's new

Multipurpose Tahoe Build

Sweet! I'll be curious to see how that works out, how do you plan to control it?

Well you lost me there :flipoff2:

I helped pull that case, it kinda blew my mind when I popped it off the trans and it was practically wieghtless. Turns out it's a magnesium case.

As far as I saw, it had no provision for a 4x4 lock, and definitely had now low range. In fact I don't think there was anything connected to the case besides the trans and drivelines.

If you're stuck on awd, what about the 242 (I think, whatever the good one is:laughing:) from a grand cherokee?

Other than that, with the diesel, low axle gears and 4:1 1st, a 205 alone would probably be great.

Well shit. Guess I didn't think that one thru very far. I assumed the escalade/denali cases were like the h2 cases. Guess I need to find a H2 case to use then. I'm pretty sure those have low range and high-lock.

I'm not stuck on it being AWD. Just figure if the front driveline is gonna turn all the time, I may as well take advantage of it.

As for 6l80e control behind the 6.5, I'm looking at the TCM-2650.

Well shit. Guess I didn't think that one thru very far. I assumed the escalade/denali cases were like the h2 cases. Guess I need to find a H2 case to use then. I'm pretty sure those have low range and high-lock.

I'm not stuck on it being AWD. Just figure if the front driveline is gonna turn all the time, I may as well take advantage of it.

As for 6l80e control behind the 6.5, I'm looking at the TCM-2650.

Had to google it, but it looks like the H2 case is a version of the 242 that Jeeps also used.

Had to google it, but it looks like the H2 case is a version of the 242 that Jeeps also used.

Figure the h2 version might be easiest since it came behind the 6l80 in the last years of the h2.

Can you find the stronger 242 from a humvee? I'd have to research it again but i believe the internal shafts and center diff lock are stronger than the jeep. Had the 4wd lock and high low options...

The family had a 95 tahoe with the diesel and barn doors to boot, clearly wasn't winning a race but always reliable. Watching this one.

My experience with them has been, if you leave them alone and don't try to make new diesel truck power with them, then they are just fine.
I seriously debated just buying a wrecked 07-13 escalade or denali and swapping in the whole 6.2 drivetrain. But I just want something different and the 6.5 will work good for me. Plus, it has PTO modes built into the computer so I can have different idle speeds set with the flick of a switch (for running air compressor/whatnot).

As you can tell from my signature, I have a soft spot for the 6.5TDs. As you say, if you're not trying to make them compete with a Cummins or Powerstroke (or Duramax), they'll do fine and give you better mileage.

Man that looks to be a pretty nice crew cab unless there's something wrong that the camera doesn't really pick up lol. I'm a fan of the 6.2-6.5 diesel's but always had better luck with 6.2 with mechanical IP, never lucked into a early mechanical 6.5.

Of my two, the '93 with the mechanical injection is a lot less trouble than the '94 with the electronics. I also prefer the NV4500 in the '93 to the 4L80E in the '94.

Been daily driving the tahoe quite a bit. Really nice/comfy and quiet. Gotta fix all that. :laughing:

Speaking of these, check this out. Spotted it on Bring A Trailer while back and was curious to see what it might bring. Granted, this one has about 35k less miles than mine, but STILL......... crazy

Bring A Trailer 2000 Z71 Tahoe

Took this one back roading the other day.

20211210_113910.jpg

20211210_114158.jpg

I bought, yet another, damn 6.5 truck. Not sure why I thought I needed it, other than it popped up on marketplace and I thought maybe there might be some parts off of it that I'll need???
Guess once you buy one OBS, you gotta collect them all.

This one was about 2hrs away. 26ft trailer that I typically use was loaded down, so grabbed the 45ft. Of course there was no way I was getting the 45ft trailer into my buddies place to unload, so had to unload the truck here at the shop and then get a rollback to take it over to his place.
I'm strongly considering buying a wrecker or a rollback. Would make this stuff so much easier.

20211211_122957.jpg

20211211_123653.jpg

20211211_150220.jpg

20211211_153331.jpg

20211212_115900.jpg

Found a decent deal on a complete GEP engine to use as a builder. On the east coast, but shipping was reasonable. Was actually just wanting to buy a brand new complete/built/ready-to-go engine but it seems that's easier said than done. Every place that I find selling them has shit reviews and a whole bunch of horror stories associated.

This GEP motor uses the "optimizer" block and appears to be in pretty good shape. It's a humvee take out engine, so all I'll be able to use is the short block.

Here's the list of parts that are going on the "new" engine. Got most everything from Quadstar Tuning:

• New Promaxx Heads
  • Head studs
  • New head gaskets
  • New OEM lifters
  • New DS4 injection pump
  • New Bosch injectors
  • Super 54 Turbo Kit
  • High flow intake plenum
  • PCM Tune
  • New water pump
  • Upgraded cooling fan...etc
  • 6l90e swap kit
  • Bunch of little supporting mods/parts

Will be a very conservative tune/setup. Goal is not to make much power, but to be a good reliable setup.
I've also purchased a 6L90e and t-case from a 2014 truck (like 40k miles on it).

Here's pics of the GEP engine that I'm starting with:

20241.jpeg

20130.jpeg

20157.jpeg

20144.jpeg

3500hd would make decent platform for the rollback or even old school ramp truck.

Shaking my head at the 6.5L but do understand it to some degree. I'd go 8.1L over it but you do you.

Love the portals. Thinking about a set for a WC53 build I may do.

adventr just found this thread when looking up info from Your Duramax build. Was looking forward to see how this turned out!

I have seen him on Instagrams, he has an H1, a 2 door JL, a f350 and a golf cart but I don’t see a Tahoe

Top Back Refresh