What's new

Motorcraft 2150 Port Question

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
Anyone know what port I have labelled in red? It didn't seem to pull vacuum at idle or RPM (should be ported vacuum because it's above the throttle plate from what I understand).

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Can you see where it comes out in the throttle bore? Should be ported vacuum if it's drilled through.

how are you checking for vacuum at RPM?

looks high enough that it should be ported, but the cap looks like it is doing the lords work. I'm not opposed in the least to pulling vacuum off the manifold as required.

The last time I checked it (I’ll be messing with it again soon as some smog parts come in the mail) I had it in park and revved it with a vacuum gauge hooked up.

The EGR system on this truck is supposed to have a ported vacuum source and just before it hits the EGR there’s a Load Control Valve switch.. it’s supposed to cut vacuum to the EGR at Wide Open Throttle… I think at 10hg and in the diagrams it looks like that port is the one to use. I haven’t seen that port on another 2150.. ordered this one off RockAuto for this specific year/configuration so maybe it’s just on smog applications like mine.

I think I have this cracked.

This port is referred to in several forums as the "venturi vacuum port" and "EGR port." There's quite a bit of confusion as to what a venturi port is for dummies like me.. I thought it simply provided "ported" vacuum, which I thought because it was above the throttle plate. (read here for the difference between ported/manifold/venturi: Vacuum Explained: Manifold, Venturi & Ported - New Article by Lars - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion )

It's called a venturi port because its a port to to the venturi area of the carb. The vacuum is created from air coming through the venturis. The vacuum reading doesn't register at idle (in my case), and barely hits 4-5 HG when I rev up to 4,000 RPM.

This all makes sense to me now. I'm trying to figure out how/where to hook up my Wide Open Throttle/Load Control Valve which shuts off the EGR at WOT of course. Whenever I stuck a vacuum pump to my WOT/LCV it would shut at a pretty low reading (below 5 HG) so of course I thought it was busted and bought another on EBAY which just arrived today. This is what I get for messing with this shit after working all day and my brain is fried.

I don't actually need much of a vacuum signal at all to actuate the WOT/LCV so this port is it, and this one is functioning just fine. I just have to make sure the WOT/LCV opens back up when vacuum is released.

Some SEO shit in case anyone has to go through SMOG in the future: 351m, 351m/400, Ford, 1978, 1979, 2150

Top Back Refresh