What's new

More Flow out of Stock Steering Pump

LScout800

LS Powered Tractor
Member Number
Loc
CA
I burned up the power steering pump in my scout last weekend. I have a new pump sitting in a box I bought as a spare a while back, and was wondering how I can get more flow? Engine is just a 2003 5.3, and the pump is the same one that came with it from the junkyard plus a remote reservoir off of a van. I have hydro-assist, and hydro boost brakes, and it is very hard to turn while braking. Don't want to dump more money for a PSC pump, is their any modifications I can do to improve the stock pump?

Just buy the PSC pressure relief flow valve and stick it in your pump. They sell just that.

I made my pulley smaller (running an 80s/early 90s V6 camaro/ firebird pulley. And bumped my curb idle to 900 rpm in the tune.

Its still takes a bit of revving when sitting still to get it to turn without effort. I'm hydro assist, hydroboost and 5.3L.

Honestly it was much better with the 345, I ran an even smaller pulley.

I tried the "known" normal mods to the flow/ relief. 5/32 drill bit, remove all the shims. Blew up two pumps. Said frig it and bought the PSC pump, remote res and assist.

I have heard about drilling somewhere in the pump, but was also kind of reluctent to do that for fears of reliability. Will try to run the smaller pulley, I was already pushing in the clutch and reving to turn in rocks, just like driving a forklift. Seems I will live with the little pump until funds allow for the PSC pump. Will look into the PSC valve for the meantime.

I have heard about drilling somewhere in the pump, but was also kind of reluctent to do that for fears of reliability. Will try to run the smaller pulley, I was already pushing in the clutch and reving to turn in rocks, just like driving a forklift. Seems I will live with the little pump until funds allow for the PSC pump. Will look into the PSC valve for the meantime.
I just looked again the P pump flow control fitting the sell is a 0.160 orifice. Sell in -6 or -8 5/8 inverted or 16mm o ring.

Didn't realise the pressure relief valve they sell is spec'd for Ford CII truck pumps.

The P pump is only like $230 bucks without their remote res can.

The V6 camaro/ firebird pulley is the only pulley I could find that has the proper offset for belt alignment. And I couldn't find em them made new. Found a local graveyard that had a bunch and guy still fleeced me $90 and made me pull it myself....

Top Back Refresh