What's new

Modern Offroad Beater

Walking through any local junkyard you will see what is cheapest/most plentiful in your area. Around here it is WJs. I had one in highschool with a 4.0, parts were cheap, it was cheap, and it was fairly capable. Think I had a cheap little spacer lift and some 32's, did all the local intermediate trails at the time. Later I got a bricknose that I beat on pretty hard.

Most of my friends wheel in either XJs, gas superduties, or squarebodies. We are all poor kids in our early 20s.

Overall reliability is the reason I'm personally building one. Wife and I love the 4Runner...it's been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned and we bought it new...so a lot of it is already having it and sentimental.

$5k-$6k on a 4runner or tacoma with an elocker. Some 32's or 33's. Lil lift and or trim. Actually pretty impressive where those rigs will go, and what kinda abuse they will take

+1 to the 2007 and newer second gen XJs JKs. The oldest should be on their 3rd or 4th owner by now and if it weren't for COVID inflation should be hitting the market in bulk, trashed condition. Parts are common and range from cheap to just build a buggy. Unlocked dana HP dana 30 and a new gen dana 44 will hold up to 33 or 35s well enough. And your gay lover wife can't complain about not having enough room for his chihuahua the kids.

Only downside is the amount of electronics. But in my experience, the base trims are not much more complex than late model TJs.
This was is Chrysler's biggest downfall, their TIPM electronics, anti theft kiss module's. Etc all friggen junk from the mid 2000's for the then 10 years. Heck I've even had friends with brand new JLs have tons of issues with shot electronics due to the dual batteries, start stop. Frig chrysler.

Other than a wide selection of light pods, tents and other garbage the platform brings basically nothing to a table. Shit starts popping with a quickness when the tires get into the mid-30s and from there you wind up wanting to throw the axles from a Ford truck under it and then you decide you need the engine from a Chevy van to move all that mass.

You'd have to be a complete moron to start with a platform that's gonna run right into expensive and difficult upgrades like that. There's just no point in building one beyond the "trail rig with mild bolt ons" level. After that it makes more sense to pick another platform.

Say what you want about the minivan engine but you gotta get waaaaaay deeper into building a JK before you hit that kind of expense and effort.
I chopped my 90 4runner out and put 36s on with no lift, ifs, bone stock. Held up fine for a long time. You're thinking xj. But end of the day, wontons and v8 make any small truck better.

Do old lost and neglected buggies/ cheap beaters count? I picked this one up CHEAP!!! when the old owner lost interest and have been slowly working to put it back on the trail. I'll be less than $5k into it once its back on the trail. Still has AC that blows ICE cold!!!

As I bought it: already tubed out 98 4runner limited.....3.4/A340F/ stock VF3AM, Ford HP44 front with chromoly shafts, full spool,5.13's, 14 bolt rear, full spool, 5.13, disk brakes, 3 link front on coils, 4 link rear with air shocks, 15" steel DIY bead locks and 39" irocs. Came with a JY 99-04 dana 60 front and adapters to put a Toyota doubler that the owner already had

Future upgrades include 60 front and a doubler with a stronger rear case(factory one is locked in 4 wheel drive cause the shift motor went out), used 17" wheels and used 39" crawlers. I hope to be under $10 with ton's, air shocks F&R, used Aluminum beadlocks and used 39" crawlers. IMO anything on with that parts list under $10k is a "cheap wheeler"!!

My point was don't over look an already built or started cheap wheeler that the owner has lost interest in!!

Attachments

• seat bars final .JPG
    seat bars final .JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
Literally almost nobody builds anything these days. 99% of what goes on is sxs and make a payment because it's cheapest short term.
Parts and materials have skyrocketed making it even less likely budget stuff will happen. It's over man,death by rzr
I'm going to disagree on that one. According to a forum post from 2000 on off-road.com a Dana 44 ARB could be found for $629 back then. Adjusted for inflation that's $1,156.37. A Dana 44 ARB is now $1,091. I'm sure we can find parts that have gotten more expensive or cheaper, and yes building off-road rigs is not cheap, but I don't think that is why we see less builds. ARB too rich for your blood, I don't think welding rod has outpaced inflation. We're getting old. We remember when shit was cheaper.

While the parts are expensive, but I'd argue that you don't need most of them. I saw a trend around 2009 of people thinking they needed to have super built rigs, full ground up builds that take more time, money and skill than they have. Still today if you ask on the internet about super duty ball joints, you'd be told that they're junk and you NEED to have ball joint eliminators or deletes. This seems to perpetuate throughout the build. Stock steering is junk, you need 2.5 ton steering. You need to be on 37s and have $10k in skid plates to run the Rubicon. 4Runners and XJs are junk.

I feel like this mindset made people start never ending builds, I saw a few of them in our club. The never ending build will make you not wheel, and make you and your friends gun-shy of starting new builds.

When I got started, I had an XJ on 31s then 35s then 36s and stock front axle with a lockright. I'd drive carefully, but still break a front axleshaft every couple trips. I got good a changing them and sourcing replacements at the junkyard. My buddies with Toyotas did the same with birfs. We still went out and had a great time, and upgraded as we could afford it.

I picked up this 2wd 2500 GMC for cheap, added 05+ ford axles and a doubler from ORD, I probably have 6k into it at this point.
IMG_0091.JPG
this right here would be my choice exactly. only thing i would consider is a flat bed and some do dads like that, 37s and beat the snot out of it. drive to and from too.

Other than a wide selection of light pods, tents and other garbage the platform brings basically nothing to a table. Shit starts popping with a quickness when the tires get into the mid-30s and from there you wind up wanting to throw the axles from a Ford truck under it and then you decide you need the engine from a Chevy van to move all that mass.

You'd have to be a complete moron to start with a platform that's gonna run right into expensive and difficult upgrades like that. There's just no point in building one beyond the "trail rig with mild bolt ons" level. After that it makes more sense to pick another platform.

Say what you want about the minivan engine but you gotta get waaaaaay deeper into building a JK before you hit that kind of expense and effort.
Pretty sure a 4 runner will handle 33s or 35s as well or close to as well as a jeep on 33s or 35s and at 37s both need rcvs. If going over 37s either should get a 60

this right here would be my choice exactly. only thing i would consider is a flat bed and some do dads like that, 37s and beat the snot out of it. drive to and from too.
Yeah I have lockers for it, still figuring out what gears and tires i should run, probably 488s and 37s, ill eventually flat deck and cage it. I wouldn't mind hitting up a 'fullsize invasion' event.

Pretty sure a 4 runner will handle 33s or 35s as well or close to as well as a jeep on 33s or 35s and at 37s both need rcvs. If going over 37s either should get a 60

You gotta remember that aside from dragging a tree outta somebodys yard in a borrowed pickup. He most likely hasnt clicked anything into 4wd for quite some time. Let alone even owned a 4wd that ran:laughing:

My fucking Ranger will run 33s or 35s stock if you give it the requisite sawzall action for clearance. That doesn't say much. :laughing:

For any given one of those sizes the JK is gonna a) break less shit if you keep it stock b) need less money to upgrade shit if you don't c) tolerate a harder driving style than the 4Runner.

How many 4Runners are there on 37s with stock axles that are skating by because the driver is nice to it? Maybe 1/10th to 1/20th as many as there are JKs after adjusting for sales numbers.

And when you do start getting into "I need wontons" territory the JK is still gonna be cheaper and easier.

And then when you decide you want a V8 for that heavy pig you built the JK is gonna be cheaper and easier to stuff one into.

the more i think about it
Yeah I have lockers for it, still figuring out what gears and tires i should run, probably 488s and 37s, ill eventually flat deck and cage it. I wouldn't mind hitting up a 'fullsize invasion' event.
if you get a 2500 you got a stout rear axle, LQ4 and SD front, thats a solid start on the cheap considering what it would take to get all that in a jeep, toyota or what ever.

what front leaf springs did you use?

the more i think about it

if you get a 2500 you got a stout rear axle, LQ4 and SD front, thats a solid start on the cheap considering what it would take to get all that in a jeep, toyota or what ever.

what front leaf springs did you use?
The 2500 HD gassers come with the 14b FF rear, I just used matching f350 axles because I got the set dirt cheap. I built a 3 link and coils from a 6.2 superduty. I'm a retired sailor like you, I have nothing but time to play with trucks and jeeps.
IMG_1797.JPG

very cool indeed. well i never was on a ship, i seen them, even helped Moore the uss enterprise to a dock in greece but never sailed on one. but i do miss being around the water.

the more i look at your set up it is a very wise way of building one.

here in iowa trying to find a 2wd truck is not happening. i will need to search further south.

what’s everyone’s idea of beater trails? “Fire roads”? The go to around here is Rangers, that’s what I see banging around on the oilfield roads. I’ve calmed TF down on my IFS hate. I’ve got $7K in my Geo tracker with actual thought put into the suspension and I absolutely love that thing. I’ve got a linked crawler with tuned coilovers on 40’s and my tracker is a a lot more plush on goat trail chop.

what’s everyone’s idea of beater trails? “Fire roads”? The go to around here is Rangers, that’s what I see banging around on the oilfield roads. I’ve calmed TF down on my IFS hate. I’ve got $7K in my Geo tracker with actual thought put into the suspension and I absolutely love that thing. I’ve got a linked crawler with tuned coilovers on 40’s and my tracker is a a lot more plush on goat trail cho
Lets see some pictures of the Geo!!

what’s everyone’s idea of beater trails? “Fire roads”? The go to around here is Rangers, that’s what I see banging around on the oilfield roads. I’ve calmed TF down on my IFS hate. I’ve got $7K in my Geo tracker with actual thought put into the suspension and I absolutely love that thing. I’ve got a linked crawler with tuned coilovers on 40’s and my tracker is a a lot more plush on goat trail chop.

My idea of a beater is something that would reliably do all the shit I would try in highschool. Anything or trail I could find within an hour of my house. For people that live in sand hallow that may be different then people living in alaska

thats a good point

for me an offroad beater would run the rubicon/actual rock crawling, anything less is just a regular beater :laughing:

My idea of a beater is something that would reliably do all the shit I would try in highschool. Anything or trail I could find within an hour of my house. For people that live in sand hallow that may be different then people living in alaska
The competition crawling area W.E.Rock uses near Farmington NM is where I grew up. I started out wheeling competition courses in a $1,000 dollar CJ5 on 32’s in the 90’s. So similar to Moon Rocks.

This, is 10 minutes from my house now. A high school kids beater has a little shorter life span than say anywhere back east would have.

Let’s see some pictures of the Geo!!
Don’t get too excited. It’s got 4.24:1 t-case gears. Spooled rear, locker in front. 30” SXS tires. Little, light, effective.

IMG_2184.jpeg
468FCAF7-EE17-4AB0-8F59-EE201760D12F.jpeg
6CA5A388-C85F-4464-822C-5F40988B394B.jpeg

Build thread

Don’t get too excited. It’s got 4.24:1 t-case gears. Spooled rear, locker in front. 30” SXS tires. Little, light, effective.

IMG_2184.jpeg

Build thread

Hows it run? :flipoff2:

IMG_2184.jpeg

Build thread

I dig it; especially like the SXS tires. Where were the pics in the mountains taken?

Because the OP didn't want cars over 20 years old, that leaves anything built in the 2000's, to be a beater is simple, that means solid axle to me.
That does really leave F250/350 and Dodge trucks, I think i could have a lot of fun and turn one into a raisin if I wanted to.

my little beater is a $300 1990 bronco2. I have about 3k into it now, I have to buy a 1991 explorer and harvest the axles out of it, but at least they bolt in. Those are Jeep JT 33" (like) tires on it, because they are cheap.
1710429503634.png

Top Back Refresh