What's new

Modern 4 cylinder swap options

If we’re talking inline 6, why not /6? *Drops mic*.

End of class:flipoff2::smokin:

Seriously, look at what the valiant.org folks can get them to do. Even the later lightened/cast crank engines will take a boosted beating.

Why not an inline 6....

It already has a small inline 6 in it, and there is very little room lengthwise. Jeep 4.0 is longer and if i'm going through that work I might as well drop an LS into it.

Here's a pic of the engine bay (not mine, but same). Notice the fan clearance and how close the fan sits to the block. The fan is within less than 1" of the alt pulley and the radiator.

dsc01637-jpg.jpg

Why not an inline 6....maybe an AMC 258 or jeep 4.0?
Or a 2nd gen Supra motor......or an L28 out of a 280ZX....those in stock turbo form were close to 200HP and they can handle a lot more boost. The exhaust is on the pass side on those as well, and there's lots of old 240Z parts out there to swap one to SUs if you wanted, or keep EFI.

4BT with that logic....

We're going slightly off the rails but thats ok and expected.

My thinking behind the whole modern 4 banger idea is this, and I think most of you are on board judging by the lack of hate this idea is getting:

Double the HP of the stock engine
Drop ~100+lb off the nose of the car
Have room to easily work on the thing and have the fabrication be simple within the boundaries of the chassis
Get 20+ mpg

I appreciate the diesel ideas, but I don't really have an interest in that for this car

I appreciate the diesel ideas, but I don't really have an interest in that for this car

Party pooper!

Always wanted to put a 5.7 diesel in a corvette just to piss people off.

There are a lot cheap donor options. Can't wait till you post pics of the project.

We're going slightly off the rails but thats ok and expected.

My thinking behind the whole modern 4 banger idea is this, and I think most of you are on board judging by the lack of hate this idea is getting:

Double the HP of the stock engine
Drop ~100+lb off the nose of the car
Have room to easily work on the thing and have the fabrication be simple within the boundaries of the chassis
Get 20+ mpg

I figured that was your reasoning, but had to throw in the /6 commentary for the others...

I have an engineer buddy from the Chicago area who tells me that the BMW stuff is the kraut SBC. He tells me that there is a ton of aftermarket support for the bimmer 4cyl stuff, and its pretty durable. Lots of large displacement options as well, I *think* up to 3.0-3.2L? I'm sure google can tell you. 328i possible application?

1.8 turbo from a passat. They are not tranverse, you can get with manual transmissions.

Had a passat and a jetta. Both were like holy crap when the turbo kicked in. Got mid 30's mpg too. Parts are cheap. I think I paid $300 for the passat and $450 for the jetta.

But then slamming german tech into old iron didn't seem right unless of course you are a white supremist then go right ahead.

Always wanted to put a 5.7 diesel in a corvette just to piss people off.

6.2 will piss more people off because is sucks just as bad but is common enough that it doesn't have the novelty factor of the Old diesel.

ive got a rwd aisin 5 speed behind an ecotec... not sure why its a unicorn

If you've got a minute, school me. From my somewhat brief research the only bellhousing that will make it happen comes from some obscure saturn sports car

For my own curiosity, what are the known issues? I know a couple of old duffers that have piled 200,000 miles + on theirs. Not hard miles, mind you, but trouble free for them. Other than that, I have no experience with them. Most of the Colorado/Canyons around here are 5cyl/auto/4x4.

I'm french, so by the law of numbers I'm sure I've seen a shit ton more failures than you.
but these engines were notoriously under powered and thus flogged to make the poor thing move around.

They are famous for flow head gaskets, warped heads and oiling issues.

I figured that was your reasoning, but had to throw in the /6 commentary for the others...

I have an engineer buddy from the Chicago area who tells me that the BMW stuff is the kraut SBC. He tells me that there is a ton of aftermarket support for the bimmer 4cyl stuff, and its pretty durable. Lots of large displacement options as well, I *think* up to 3.0-3.2L? I'm sure google can tell you. 328i possible application?

Most 80s-00s BMW stuff is 6 pot. The only 4 pot that's over 2.0L is the S14 found in the E30 M3. The only other really tunable 4 pots would be the much newer 2.0 turbos.
BMW do funny shit with their numbering and it doesn't always reflect the capacity of the engine.

If you've got a minute, school me. From my somewhat brief research the only bellhousing that will make it happen comes from some obscure saturn sports car

well, yea. its either a saturn sky/solstice or aftermarket. ive got a whole swap if you are looking for one.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Is that an indictment of French autos, or everything French? I keed, I keed...

Why do you think I moved to the US ? :laughing:

French autos stopped being any good after the A110.
That's sad cause the french used to be at the forefront of automotive innovation, a long time ago.

Solid light weight 4 pot petrol engines that should be cheap and easy to source with a good aftermarket....
-Suzuki J series
-Honda K series
-Ford Duratec
-GM Ecotec

Most others are either iron block, not readily available stateside or don't really have much aftermarket love.

Was just going to say K Series Honda

Compact, and they take boost well, I think they convert a BMW trans into the Nissan S14's

i didnt read all the pages

BUT! i was actually thinking about this exact setup the other day! :laughing:

my buddy showed me a video of his buddies 90's early 00's ford ranger that he thunderbird 2.3 turbo swapped and that thing rips

and its for sale but doesnt meet smog

next day im driving and see a 60s ranchero parked on the side of the road :eek: i know where to get a sweet motor for that thing! :laughing:

I've got a 2.3 5 speed complete take out from a 2005 ranger. It's actually still in the truck so I have everything you need to do a swap . My zip is 48178 if you're interested

I've got a 2.3 5 speed complete take out from a 2005 ranger. It's actually still in the truck so I have everything you need to do a swap . My zip is 48178 if you're interested

Damn if you weren't on the other side of the country we'd be in business

How about something like the Chevy LF4? Not a 4 but a twin turbo'd 3.6L V6(465hp) and only 345lbs:eek: It is just a few dollars :p

If you are going for weird, just get a Mazda rotary:homer:

[486 said:
;n373950]

every one I've seen has been on fire at least once
many of them multiple times

You say that like it’s a bad thing :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh