What's new

Modern 3/4t Gassers

What kind of retard pays 50 grand for 4 year old truck, when you can get a new 24 F250 XLT CCSB 4WD 7.3 truck for 2% below invoice, or $54,667
Maybe the kind who dislikes all the additional nanny shit on the next body style?
The .gov continues to create weird demands in the used truck market. Look at the worn out pre 2008 trucks selling for re-tard prices
but yea, retarded:homer:

Get rid of that and go with a :shocked: 3.5 gear in the gasser and beat 12mpg unloaded as well.
I just checked my fuelly app and I have a lifetime average of 13.5 MPG on my F350 CC LB 4x4 with 7.3 gasser and 4.30 gears. I never got the fuelly app for it but I also have a 3/4 ton CC LB Cummins with 3.55's that I average 16 MPG overall. That is empty and towing or loaded for both of them at 7k elevation.

I do the maintenance on them both and there is no way the gasser costs more for services. 8 quarts of oil versus 12, no fuel filters and cheaper oil filters. For my area diesel has been at or above $1/gallon more than gas for a long while, and if not that much, always at least higher than gas for many years. I DGAF above resale or trade in since I keep my shit forever.

That math is why I bought the 7.3 gas last year over the diesel. The CP4 all played into that to be honest.

I just checked my fuelly app and I have a lifetime average of 13.5 MPG on my F350 CC LB 4x4 with 7.3 gasser and 4.30 gears. I never got the fuelly app for it but I also have a 3/4 ton CC LB Cummins with 3.55's that I average 16 MPG overall. That is empty and towing or loaded for both of them at 7k elevation.

I do the maintenance on them both and there is no way the gasser costs more for services. 8 quarts of oil versus 12, no fuel filters and cheaper oil filters. For my area diesel has been at or above $1/gallon more than gas for a long while, and if not that much, always at least higher than gas for many years. I DGAF above resale or trade in since I keep my shit forever.

That math is why I bought the 7.3 gas last year over the diesel. The CP4 all played into that to be honest.
Lifetime average for my Chevy 1500 is 13.42. That’s over 58k miles that I’ve been using the fuel my app. I do a bunch of stop and go driving that really brings that down.

Lifetime average for my Chevy 1500 is 13.42. That’s over 58k miles that I’ve been using the fuel my app. I do a bunch of stop and go driving that really brings that down.
What was crazy to me is my '04 F150 5.4 3 valve averaged right at 14 MPG over the 247,000 miles I had it. So IMO a much bigger and more capable truck that gets within .5 MG is pretty damn impressive

What was crazy to me is my '04 F150 5.4 3 valve averaged right at 14 MPG over the 247,000 miles I had it. So IMO a much bigger and more capable truck that gets within .5 MG is pretty damn impressive

I had a 400 mile round trip earlier in the week, pretty flat highway there and back. According the the lie-o-meter truck was averaging 16.8 driving 70-75, I was pretty amazed.

What happened at 247? The 3v blow up?
I sold it to a neighbor when I bought the SD. Never had spark plug issues, never had cam phaser issues, no issues at all other than wanting a bigger truck. 5k oil changes, 30k trans fluid and filter changes and plugs every 50k, plus other regular maintenance items.

Last edited:
Thought I'd bump this with some anecdotal experience.

21 6.7 f350 Tremor 3.55 Platinum vs. 22 7.3 F250 Tremor 4.30 Lariat. Gas has Pedal Monster and an exhaust (bought it used...)

just got back from 2000 miles towing. 1/2 with empty car trailer (~2500 lbs), 1/2 loaded (~7000-7500... about 500# in the truck). Same route that I last towed with the 6.7. Only difference is which leg the car trailer was loaded.

Mileage... 6.7 got about 15 w/ empty trailer, 13-13.5 loaded. 7.3 got about 11.5 empty trailer and 9-10 loaded. All at ~75mph.
Power... 7.3 is just fine... but the 6.7 spoiled me. Much more relaxing to tow in the 6.7.
Acceleration... 6.7 - no contest. Much better experience in the diesel.
Braking... 6.7's exhaust brake was a spoiler. I HATE the compression braking program in the 7.3 tow/haul mode. I don't need the trans shifting to 3rd and pegging the limiter... let me use the brakes. Additionally, the trans does NOT like to upshift after it's chosen to down shift... it'll stay in whatever gear it's downshifted two until it damned well decides it's ready to upshift... That's annoying AF to me.
Daily driving... 7.3 all day. It "feels" smaller and lighter... losing that extra ~800 lbs on the front is very noticeable. I did miss it a bit while towing.

Overall... If it wasn't for the CP4, I'd have kept the Diesel. The 7.3 is a great engine... and I'd say is much more comparable in experience to my 2016 6.7 than to the 21.

If I was buying again... I'd probably go gas... But if I was regularly towing over 7500, I'd buy a 6.7 and invest in a CP3 conversion and call it done.

Hemi 6.4/6 speed did similar on downhills for me. Cycling out of and back to Tow/Haul was sometimes successful in getting it to up shift again.

21 6.7 f350 Tremor 3.55 Platinum vs. 22 7.3 F250 Tremor 4.30 Lariat. Gas has Pedal Monster and an exhaust (bought it used...)

just got back from 2000 miles towing. 1/2 with empty car trailer (~2500 lbs), 1/2 loaded (~7000-7500... about 500# in the truck). Same route that I last towed with the 6.7. Only difference is which leg the car trailer was loaded.

Mileage... 6.7 got about 15 w/ empty trailer, 13-13.5 loaded. 7.3 got about 11.5 empty trailer and 9-10 loaded. All at ~75mph.
Power... 7.3 is just fine... but the 6.7 spoiled me. Much more relaxing to tow in the 6.7.
Braking... 6.7's exhaust brake was a spoiler. I HATE the compression braking program in the 7.3 tow/haul mode. I don't need the trans shifting to 3rd and pegging the limiter... let me use the brakes. Additionally, the trans does NOT like to upshift after it's chosen to down shift... it'll stay in whatever gear it's downshifted two until it damned well decides it's ready to upshift... That's annoying AF to me.
Daily driving... 7.3 all day. It "feels" smaller and lighter... losing that extra ~800 lbs on the front is very noticeable. I did miss it a bit while towing.

Overall... If it wasn't for the CP4, I'd have kept the Diesel. The 7.3 is a great engine... and I'd say is much more comparable in experience to my 2016 6.7 than to the 21.

If I was buying again... I'd probably go gas... But if I was regularly towing over 7500, I'd buy a 6.7 and invest in a CP3 conversion and call it done.
Thanks, that's good info. What happens if you just push the up button on the shifter? Does it ignore you?

Thanks, that's good info. What happens if you just push the up button on the shifter? Does it ignore you?

I believe that it will be ignored. Iirc, the only thing you can really do with that is lockout gears.

One other note… using cruise control while towing on the gasser sucks. It avoids 9th and 7th gears when downshifting and only seems to downshift from 10 to either 8 or 6…. And it seems random.

After 9 hours of towing today… I’m much more tired then when towing with the diesel.

I think I did handicap the gassed a bit, inadvertently. I only ran 65# in the rear tires, where I think the diesel was always sitting around 75. And I just put 235/80-16 G rated trailer tires on the trailer, replacing 225 radials, and I believe they were likely under pressured.

Towing a similar load with the 2015 tundra got me 11.5 mpg and was what pushed me into a diesel.

That delay to upshift was there on both my '18 and now '22 6.7's and it really annoying.
The only I way I figured to stop it is to manually lock out gears to assist the exhaust brake to keep it from downshifting so deep and if it does happen just stab the throttle to 75% or so and hold it until it upshifts again.

Every ford I've ever driven made after 05 likes to hang onto that gear after a down shift, pretty annoying. But I'll take it over the shitty all around shifting of dodge and Chevy diesels.

If you want it to up shift, turn tow haul off for a second.

Every ford I've ever driven made after 05 likes to hang onto that gear after a down shift, pretty annoying. But I'll take it over the shitty all around shifting of dodge and Chevy diesels.

If you want it to up shift, turn tow haul off for a second.
that aligns with what others have said... and it's a stupid work around given the ford has ~5 different modes... lots of button pushing to shift the damned trans.

I wonder if forescan can fix this?

I wonder if forescan will eliminate all the stupid dash warnings that pop up when towing or just using the truck, Blind spot warning, trailer attached warning, door open, etc. Fucking drives me nuts that these things pop up and make noise driving the truck, especially while backing up. YES, I know I have a fucking trailer attached, I hooked it up!:mad3:

I don't have forescan but it would be worth it to get it if I could eliminate that shit.

I wonder if forescan will eliminate all the stupid dash warnings that pop up when towing or just using the truck, Blind spot warning, trailer attached warning, door open, etc. Fucking drives me nuts that these things pop up and make noise driving the truck, especially while backing up. YES, I know I have a fucking trailer attached, I hooked it up!:mad3:

I don't have forescan but it would be worth it to get it if I could eliminate that shit.
Amen... I think it was 5-6 "hit okay" warnings every time I started the damned truck.

And even when no trailer, why does it always ask if I want backup sensors on when I start the truck? Both the 21 and 22 do this. let me set it and forget it.

that aligns with what others have said... and it's a stupid work around given the ford has ~5 different modes... lots of button pushing to shift the damned trans.

Fivestar vaguely claims they can tune shift points on the 10R140. No idea how impactful it is as far as the behaviors described.

The 5 different random warnings—that’s ridiculous. My Chevy about broke my brain with “trailer disconnected” warnings. Meanwhile the brakes would work anytime you didn’t have an active warning message. As in, warning pops up, apparently it regains connection, but the brakes wouldn’t work again until you hit “ok”. Fucking shoot me. I never want another built in brake controller—Tekonsha never acts this way.

Fivestar vaguely claims they can tune shift points on the 10R140. No idea how impactful it is as far as the behaviors described.

The 5 different random warnings—that’s ridiculous. My Chevy about broke my brain with “trailer disconnected” warnings. Meanwhile the brakes would work anytime you didn’t have an active warning message. As in, warning pops up, apparently it regains connection, but the brakes wouldn’t work again until you hit “ok”. Fucking shoot me. I never want another built in brake controller—Tekonsha never acts this way.

I think it's 5...
return to tow haul mode....
blind spot off
lane detection off
trailer attached
back up sensor off...

I think... something like that... insanity

Fuck going back to a non pedal pressure sensitive brake controller. Proportional, inertia based, controllers like the Tekonsha's suck total balls when you have to fiddle with them back and forth to have good brakes on the highway with hills and then not have the trailer stopping the truck coming up to a stop sign or light. Complete night and day difference with the built in controllers.

I don't believe Forscan will do much for this.

I turned off a lot of dings/dongs but they aren't related to any of that stuff.

I’d like to eliminate the “check rear seat for occupants” warning that pops up every time I park.

I guess I haven't spent any time in anything newer than a 2019. Never driven one that has more than tow/haul besides an F150 with sport or tow/haul.

I guess I've just gotten used to the downshift thing for the most part. I can see how it could get overly aggressive with a gasser that rev's to 6k or whatever.

Amen... I think it was 5-6 "hit okay" warnings every time I started the damned truck.

And even when no trailer, why does it always ask if I want backup sensors on when I start the truck? Both the 21 and 22 do this. let me set it and forget it.

That's retarded

I guess I haven't spent any time in anything newer than a 2019. Never driven one that has more than tow/haul besides an F150 with sport or tow/haul.

I guess I've just gotten used to the downshift thing for the most part. I can see how it could get overly aggressive with a gasser that rev's to 6k or whatever.

That's retarded

Tow haul
Normal
Eco
Snow
Offroad

I think

That's retarded

It's spinning the diesel to absolute redline that worries me. Foot on gas, speed at the posted limit and the engine purring away at 3800 rpm I start getting a little jumpy cause if I give it more throttle to speed up and hopefully upshift is it going to?

Is it smart enough to upshift to save itself or will it freeze and float the valves as the gravity overcomes the compression?

Coming down a winding 9% grade in Arkansas the first time I wasn't sure if we'd make it.

You can turn that "off" in the settings...
It will still ask every 3 months or something but not every time.
Until you get an "update" and you've got to change it back:shaking:

"The vehicle is on" no shit

Anyone get the brightness bar randomly?

On my 22 F150 I think the most annoying this is when i get fuel, i reset the trip first thing, I have to wait for the stupid captain obvious messages to clear before i can.

The previous generation interface was much more user friendly, faster and more intuitive.

Top Back Refresh