What's new

MMW Dana 300 waiting list

I realize some people are just finding out about the SCS stuff for kinda the first time. They aren’t new. My dad had 4x4 SCS stuff in the 90’s. They’ve been around longer than AA. They’ve always been race/competition specific though. The SCS transfer case everyone is starting to use now, is a monster truck drop box someone thought to turn on its side and use as a t-case.

the two gears it comes with will make 1.5 but reverse the order of the gears and changes it a 4.1 for example. at least thats how i understood it to work. very slick for sure.

There is a bunch of of options for the fixed ratio from about 1:1 to 2:1, then you have a ton of options for the quick change ratios from 1:1 to almost 2:1. Then from about 1.1:1 to 1.5:1 you can swap gears quickly to reverse the ratio. So 1.1/0.9 to 1.5/0.75 roughly.

Then you have the option to add a shift able 2.7 magnum box in front of that.

So basically, you have almost unlimited options between about 10:1 to a tall overdrive.

They're pretty damn awesome really.

I realize some people are just finding out about the SCS stuff for kinda the first time. They aren’t new. My dad had 4x4 SCS stuff in the 90’s. They’ve been around longer than AA. They’ve always been race/competition specific though. The SCS transfer case everyone is starting to use now, is a monster truck drop box someone thought to turn on its side and use as a t-case.

I've heard of them for quite a while, but until recently, I thought they were pretty large. Which I believe they actually were.

There is a bunch of of options for the fixed ratio from about 1:1 to 2:1, then you have a ton of options for the quick change ratios from 1:1 to almost 2:1. Then from about 1.1:1 to 1.5:1 you can swap gears quickly to reverse the ratio. So 1.1/0.9 to 1.5/0.75 roughly.

So basically, you have almost unlimited options between about 10:1 to a tall overdrive.

I've heard of them for quite a while, but until recently, I thought they were pretty large. Which I believe they actually were.
very cool for sure.

Huge is an option. But small was always an option as well. The stuff in dads old mud bogger was smaller than what you see in the UFO cars and only had 3 gear’s total and wasn’t “quick change”. You had to pull the whole box and split it to change gears but even that whole process took maybe an hour.

For the monster truck boxes they have options in multiples of feet, not just inches.

They make tons of custom stuff too.
Scherer and TC are using one off boxes.

Last edited:
They make tons of custom stuff too.
Scherer and TC are using one off boxes.
I wondered about You, TC and the bouncer stuff. Do you guys ever have any reason to have a hi/low range? Or 2wd even? I’d imagine a fixed case and spools F/R would do the intended job.

I’ve seen Bobby Tanner turn Atlas’s into shrapnel twice personally and that was a long time ago. I was watching busted knuckle vids last night and can tell from the impacts things are taking on those bounty hills there’s no atlas’s in the bouncer’s anymore.

They are. They are quick change and some gear ratios change just by swapping the same two gears spots. Filthy Motorsports has them on them on their site.

Dumb question as I know nada about SCS cases....from the pics the driveshafts both (f/r) look offset from center...is that with all cases or do they also have options for centered rear output and driver or passenger drop? I'd imagine with only two gears a centered rear isn't an option. Offset to the same side would be cool for guys wanting diffs on one side of the car.

Dumb question as I know nada about SCS cases....from the pics the driveshafts both (f/r) look offset from center...is that with all cases or do they also have options for centered rear output and driver or passenger drop? I'd imagine with only two gears a centered rear isn't an option. Offset to the same side would be cool for guys wanting diffs on one side of the car.
Yes they do. We have one in our blazer.

I don’t think there’s a problem you can come up with that they won’t have a solution for. I think you can get both rear outputs at the same time like if you wanted to do a 6x6.

IMG_5980.jpeg

I don’t think there’s a problem you can come up with that they won’t have a solution for. I think you can get both rear outputs at the same time like if you wanted to do a 6x6.

IMG_5980.jpeg
The amount of variation they can provide is impressive and honestly, the price is pretty competitive....

The amount of variation they can provide is impressive and honestly, the price is pretty competitive....
I don’t think we’ve ever seen them in rock crawlers because there’s nothing to shift. That’s not their game. We always want to be able to do front and rear only. I don’t think that they have any interest in serving that market. So while the price is comparable to other things you’re used to seeing. It’s a less for more situation. You’re paying a premium for strength and serviceability. There’s no shift rails, shift forks, slide collars, syncros. And they’re noisey. I like the noise, but they are not quiet just FYI.

I wondered about You, TC and the bouncer stuff. Do you guys ever have any reason to have a hi/low range? Or 2wd even? I’d imagine a fixed case and spools F/R would do the intended job.

I’ve seen Bobby Tanner turn Atlas’s into shrapnel twice personally and that was a long time ago. I was watching busted knuckle vids last night and can tell from the impacts things are taking on those bounty hills there’s no atlas’s in the bouncer’s anymore.
Depends if you're talking trail bouncers or comp bouncers.

Competition stuff, almost everyone runs SCS
Trail stuff, we still need to move between obstacles so Atlas Race case or Hero is the choice for the high HP guys.

BK buggies are almost all Atlas Race case and haven't broken any.

my uneducated opinion on the matter solely based on observation.

atlas were ok and still are for the slow guys, why you ask? well when smashing hoops the rear is tracking and the front is floating (well it should be if your shock tune is any good) meaning your front and rear do not have equal traction. if you go back and track the history of the atlas becoming the weak link in u4 it is always the center gear that leaves the chat. the front is trying to do one thing, the rear another and the center quitting on the job. it seemed like the rear engine cars had a little more success and i would argue that is because they were using the front output to drive the rear so it was seeing less shock load and the front was direct from the input so it would take the shock load better.

when you marry the front and rear on the same gear they are theoretically seeing the drive speed. now does that mean you move the abuse downstream? i would argue that the you are using the loss of traction from a slight over drive as the fusible link at that point.

my uneducated opinion on the matter solely based on observation.

atlas were ok and still are for the slow guys, why you ask? well when smashing hoops the rear is tracking and the front is floating (well it should be if your shock tune is any good) meaning your front and rear do not have equal traction. if you go back and track the history of the atlas becoming the weak link in u4 it is always the center gear that leaves the chat. the front is trying to do one thing, the rear another and the center quitting on the job. it seemed like the rear engine cars had a little more success and i would argue that is because they were using the front output to drive the rear so it was seeing less shock load and the front was direct from the input so it would take the shock load better.

when you marry the front and rear on the same gear they are theoretically seeing the drive speed. now does that mean you move the abuse downstream? i would argue that the you are using the loss of traction from a slight over drive as the fusible link at that point.
sprag time

Do they add any support brackets/ mounting system? Or is it just hangin off the trans?
Rear support too. I don't agree with it, but like everything, more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Both hanging. We had a lot of discussions about that.

Never have I placed the 205 and the 300 anywhere near each other in strength.

I’ve said the Atlas is more comparable to the 300. The 205 is significantly stronger than Atlas.
Tyler.. you make a replacement 300 case I'm fully in!! None of my remarks were directed to you... or anyone. Just a blanket statements to cover theoretical views. Also by no means telling you how to do business.
Yes ive been burned. Rube adapter was my 1st big purchase ripoff... lol so kudos for doing something about it.

People saying an atlas is weaker or stronger than whatever case, are we talking the standard atlas or fully upgraded? Because last I heard, the full race case whatever cases were holding up pretty well to about everything short of 800+ hp u4 or bouncers? Obviously there are guys who can probably break one with a burnt valve 22r, but for the most part, I thought the full bling atlas was more on part with a 205?

I also agree with the 2:1 and 3:1 probably being fine for 90% of the 205 market. Either you are a rock bouncer or u4 and just the single case is enough, or you're a trail guy and will probably run a 2.7 crawl box anyway. I'd almost wonder if the 1.7 or 1.5:1 would be more of a seller than lower ratios for racing guys? :confused:
In my head I compare race case to 205 and regular 300 lol

I don’t think we’ve ever seen them in rock crawlers because there’s nothing to shift. That’s not their game. We always want to be able to do front and rear only. I don’t think that they have any interest in serving that market. So while the price is comparable to other things you’re used to seeing. It’s a less for more situation. You’re paying a premium for strength and serviceability. There’s no shift rails, shift forks, slide collars, syncros. And they’re noisey. I like the noise, but they are not quiet just FYI.
You could do something dumb like driveline disconnects... but length of case sideways might be problem still? still no high range though, not that crawler crowd needs it.

You could do something dumb like driveline disconnects... but length of case sideways might be problem still? still no high range though, not that crawler crowd needs it.
I know lots of people who don’t need or want 1:1. Suzuki Samurai and Land Rovers high range isn’t 1:1.

1.2:1 - 1.4:1 - 1.6:1 is still high range.

I know lots of people who don’t need or want 1:1. Suzuki Samurai and Land Rovers high range isn’t 1:1.

1.2:1 - 1.4:1 - 1.6:1 is still high range.

I think more people would like ~1.4:1 that they realize, could always run taller axle gears.

Like Toyota and JK guys who feel 5.38s are great for 35 maybe 37s, but then run 40-42s and just deal with it.

I think more people would like ~1.4:1 that they realize, could always run taller axle gears.

Like Toyota and JK guys who feel 5.38s are great for 35 maybe 37s, but then run 40-42s and just deal with it.
I think a large part of the reason so many rigs get under-geared is dumbness who are stuck in the past wanting a modern engine engine that has torque peak at 3k+ and hp peak at 5k+ go down the highway at 2000rpm or less and then exacerbating that desire by putting an exhaust that's too loud for a street rig on a street rig.

Top Back Refresh