What's new

MITO: B-52Gs and KC-135s do minimum interval takeoffs on pillars of smoke.

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Was reading The War Zone and went down one of their links and found this video. Low-bypass turbofans on water injection, doing a nuclear strike exercise. Get the wings into the air with their tankers and headed north over the Pole. Re-fuel the BUFFs somewhere over the Canadian border, and send them on to perform nuclear strikes on the Soviet Union.

Action starts at 3:08. Looks like <20 second intervals, which means the pilots are riding wake turbulence from the previous aircraft, you can see them use the rudder to get out of the streams :eek:

B-1Bs doing night takeoffs. 4 afterburnring F-101s. The F-16 fighter jet engine is a de-tuned B-1B engine.

The B-1B carries a heavier payload than a B-52 :eek: And look at the way the nose lifts when they release the brakes. :smokin:

B-1B doing what BONEs do: low-altitude terrain following, skipping over mountains.

"Blown by the BONE". B-1B at Cottesmore UK airshow doesn't get the left inboard engine to light right away, so pauses on the runway, clearing the field of photographers and spectators.

Reminds me of deployment in 2002. Over a dozen of them would line up in the early morning fully loaded with death. We would watch them take off before the sun came up. They would all come back in the afternoon completely empty. This was on a tiny island called Diego Garcia. Those were some fun times. There were about 2 dozen B52 and at least a dozen B1 bombers there during that time.

USS Dewey demonstrates sea-keeping qualities for a Tiger Cruise on USS John C. Stennis.

USS Gonzalez does left full rudder at 30+ knots. 120,000 horsepower, 9500 tons.

USS Abraham Lincoln conducts rudder tests: Pin-to-Pin at flank ahead. 260,000 horsepower, 104,000 tons.

Wake of USS Lincoln at Flank Ahead, transiting to Somalia during the Battle of Mogadishu. 4, 25-foot screws at almost 200 RPM, for 24 hours a day.

At 3:23, shots along the starboard side.

Last edited:
USS Iowa BB-61 dips her fantail into the water during high-speed test on Chesapeake Bay, 1985. It's not waves, it's wake.

212,000 horsepower at Flank Ahead, 254,000 horsepower on 115% overload (which she could reliably run), test probably run at 50,000 tons.

rGEWsDr.png

USS Missouri BB-63 unloading 16" in SINKEX 89. No, battleships do not move sideways when they fire a broadside. Pretty good shots of the 16"/50s kicking up water.

Same exercise, from the bow of the Missouri :smokin: This one is worth watching through very much. The more shells you fire, the less you have to pull off the ship. They weigh 2,700 lbs for APC Mark 8, and they're firing at near point-blank range for these guns, nearly flat. I'd say 9 or 10 miles.
Starts at 0:26

Last edited:
9, 1,000 JDAMs on an IED factory. You can see a few of the bombs come in, and after the first two, you can can see full-grown tree trunks speak 200' in the air like toothpicks.

"Everybody's in the truck, right?"

Shrapnel whizzing by.

1:09

160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment softening up some Iraqis.

At 1:56, the GAU-19 .50 cal rotary cannon drops brass on them.

11th Marine Artillery Regiment putting 155s downrange in Iraq, April, 2003.

AH-64 Apache unloads the magazine and fires the rifling out of an M230 30mm chain gun.

C-RAM 20mm Vulcans firing on incoming mortar rounds in Iraq.

More C-RAM

C-RAM

One last C-RAM

Title says it all:

388 Skater with a pair of Merc 1350s winding it up.

Watch for the Buoy pole at 1:09.

I was the crew chief on KC-135 58-0001 from 1986-1990 stationed at Castle AFB. Was pretty fuckin awesome after an engine repair to sit in the seat with my other crew chief, standing on the brakes as hard as we could, dumping water into all 4 engines with the throttles balls to the wall. You couldn't hardly see straight the plane was shaking so much. That amount of power is simply awesome.

Love me some massive weaponry and The War Zone.

Meeeeee too.

I was the crew chief on KC-135 58-0001 from 1986-1990 stationed at Castle AFB. Was pretty fuckin awesome after an engine repair to sit in the seat with my other crew chief, standing on the brakes as hard as we could, dumping water into all 4 engines with the throttles balls to the wall. You couldn't hardly see straight the plane was shaking so much. That amount of power is simply awesome.

:usa: Thanks for your service. 07

Here's a B-2 coming into Diego filmed from the beach. Haven't been able to find the video so it's silent. Just got this off of another site yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/Ibu042q.mp4

Planes kind of freak me out because they're thin aluminum foil with rockets attached. I know airliners only take off at 80% or so, so I can't imagine what it would be like to throttle that big beastie up. There's something chilling that makes your hair stand up with those BUFFs and KC-135s. It's that Cold War thing, like the launch sequence on The Day After. It's just so.... majestic, but ominous as well. Big Power, I like that shit.

Here's another: 9 BUFFs and 5 KC-135s in under 5 minutes:

160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment softening up some Iraqis.

At 1:56, the GAU-19 .50 cal rotary cannon drops brass on them.

11th Marine Artillery Regiment putting 155s downrange in Iraq, April, 2003.

In Afghanistan there were several 155s behind our tent. It made for an interesting wake up called when they would start sending metal over the fence at 3 AM without warning. :laughing:

My favorite plane of WWII - Vought F4U Corsair, 'Whistling Death'.

It's the British who figured out how to land them on aircraft carriers, thus inventing the modern Landing Signal Officer and curved approaches used by the US Navy today. The Brits quite literally invented everything about how to operate a CATOBAR aircraft carrier, and now they use ski jumps and we use CATOBAR.

US Navy didn't like the Corsair in WWII, and with pretty good reason. I love our Vets, I am one, but the fact is a lot of Pilots in WWII were green novices who probably shouldn't have been flying. One reporting officer in a Task Group used to insult them on his reports: "Lt. J.G. Dope did not disengage the safety lock on his bomb, and therefore failed to strike the target" was one I remember. Which means that he was dive bombing and had to pull out of a dive with a 500lb bomb attached. :eek:

Anyhoo the F6F Hellcat was easy to make, easy to fly, and easy to fix. It won the Pacific air war for us, but it was out-turned, out-climbed, and out-ran by the mighty Corsair, which saw service into Korea.

Plus, I like vehicles with hood, like musclecars. And the Corsair has plenty of that. Apparently when you landed it, not only could you not see the wires, you couldn't see the entire ship once you got it lined up. Not until you were on the deck. Lethal though.

Edit: Oh the gull-wing is to push the landing gear down and lift the fuselage so that the giant 4-bladed prop didn't hit the deck :smokin:

My favorite plane of all time, of any type, civil or military.

The North American XB-70 Valkyrie. 6 afterburning engines, Mach 3.1 @70,000 feet. The XR-71 Blackbird is Mach 3.2 at 80,000 feet, to give some idea of how monstrously powerful this thing is.

One was lost in a collision with an F-104 Starfighter chase plane, which got sucked into the wingtip vortice, turned over left on it's back, skirted upside-down the over the top of the twin tails of the Valkyrie, clipping them off, then clipping the left wing off before exploding. The Valkyrie crashed with the loss of both Pilots, one crew escaped with crushed arm when the escape pod clamped down on it :eek:

When the Valkyrie first flew, this is what Impalas looked like:

MYVp5vD.png

Set to Wagner's "Ride of the Vaklyrie's" of course. I'm not aware of a sound recording of the Valkyrie's engines:

Planes kind of freak me out because they're thin aluminum foil with rockets attached. I know airliners only take off at 80% or so, so I can't imagine what it would be like to throttle that big beastie up. There's something chilling that makes your hair stand up with those BUFFs and KC-135s. It's that Cold War thing, like the launch sequence on The Day After. It's just so.... majestic, but ominous as well. Big Power, I like that shit.

Here's another: 9 BUFFs and 5 KC-135s in under 5 minutes:

It was a trip for sure. Was at Castle for 4 years. Pretty much was just a 9 to 5 job. Except we worked nights pre flighting the plane for the next day. I didnt really travel much, but did do a few TDY's to Edwards. Got to sit up front on takeoff, fully loaded, with water injection. Sitting in back was scary. No windows. Shaking like crazy. Only thin aluminum holding it together. FGelt like it would fall apart. So much power. Got to fly the boom waiting to refuel. Got to lay next to the boomer while refueling F-16's, F-15's, B-52's and the B-1, which had just came out. Somewhere I have a few pics, but mostly its just memories.

The Valkyrie was made out of stainless steel, with titanium segments over the wing leading edges and other areas where the heat would build up to dangerous levels. Unlike the Blackbird, it didn't have many 'wonky' habits like leaking fuel on the runway, or dangerous handling characteristics like yawing if one afterburner lit before the other. It was in all respects a refined, production-ready jet which was a dream to fly.

Back in the 1950s, it wasn't small cars which were fastest, it was big cars. If the XR-71 is a 1958 Corvette with a 283 hp small-block engine, the Valkyrie is a 1958 Continental with a 400 hp big-block. Valkyrie is like a Dusenberg. All the luxury, and all the horsepowers.

The Russian version of the B-52: The Tu-95 'Bear'. Counter-rotating turboprop engines, the propeller tips are supersonic. One of the loudest aircraft on Earth.

Legend has it, some F-14 pilots who shadowed the Bear suffered days of tinnitus. These things are still flying, and enjoy enormous respect and prestige, perhaps one of the best things the Soviet Union ever built outside of the T-34 tank and Soyuz spacecraft.

Thanks for posting this up. Brings back some great memories for me. Getting older sucks. Having parents battling cancer sucks. This evening has been reflecting on the good times I've had in life. My time at Castle was one that I hadn't thought about in a long time.

The Grand-Daddy of All Powerful Things: The Saturn V rocket. My readings indicate that it had, and this is difficult to convert because rockets create a Force, not a Power, but it had 163,000,000 horsepower at sea level, and 193,000,000 horsepower just before 1st-stage burnout.

5 Rocketdyne F-1 rocket engines. 4 tons of oxy-kerosene mix per second per engine, 20 tons per second total. The fuel pump for each engine is a 55,000 horsepower turbine.

At 275,000 horsepower, the Saturn V rocket uses more power to pump fuel than it takes to push an Aircraft Carrier to 30 knots.

Walter Kronkite narrates the Apollo 4 launch. Kronkite was aboard USS Texas during Operation Torch, and certainly heard her 14" guns bark plenty of times. He also flew in B-17s over Germany, and reported from the front lines at the Battle of the Bulge. Walter Kronkite is well-versed in loud, powerful things, and just listen to him talk about the Saturn V.

A man who made his living talking about things, and he's at a loss for words here :lmao:

Apollo 4 didn't have the water sound shielding like later launches, and the sound caused damage. I had a Physicist online calculate for me that the sound pressure from a Saturn V was enough to vaporize the concrete inside the blast pit. The sound itself would heat the cement until it vaporized.

1:25 for the 10-second mark:

Here is a nerd giving a play-by-play from a pad camera video, it's worth a listen.

Last edited:
Here's one for me because I like ships.

2nd Night Battle of Guadalcanal, November 14th/15th 1942. This is one of two times that the US Navy ever engaged in a Battleship vs Battleship action (the second at Surigao Strait in 1944, 6 Battleships versus 1 Battleship and several Heavy Cruisers, again on radar-directed fire control at night. That was a turkey shoot).

The Japs had mauled us badly at Guadalcanal, and the Navy ended up losing 3x more men keeping the Marines supplied than the Marines actually lost on Guadalcanal. Including the worst defeat ever suffered by the USN at sea, the Battle of Savo Island. That action saw the loss of 2 Admirals, Cunningham, who didn't seem to understand the implications of Radar, and Norman Scott, who tragically did but was under Cunningham's command. The IJN tore off a piece of the Navy's ass and handed it to us. Not to mention several instances of vicious friendly fire USN vs USN. I mean Heavy Cruisers spotting Destroyers and Light Cruisers at near point-blank range in the dark, and blasting them down with broadside after broadside of 8" guns.

The First Battle of Guadalcanal saw the Japanese bring Hiei and Kirishima, two improved Battlecruisers converted to Fast Battleships. The American Heavy Cruisers managed to set Hiei on fire and she had to be scuttled early the next morning, but still the USN's losses mounted, and fast.

The Navy finally had enough, and the Marines were eating captured Japanese rice infested with maggots, just like in the miniseries The Pacific. When the Japs started bringing Battleships along with the Tokyo Express down 'The Slot' to bombard Henderson Field, which the Marines had to go out and rebuild nearly ever single morning, the Navy Brass finally decided to deploy two of their precious Fast Battleships to decide the issue.

These were the South Dakota and Washington. The SoDak was brand-new, and suffered the usual teething problems. One of which was the propensity of a 5"/38 mount to trip it's mount breakers. So an Electrician Division Officer decided to physically tie the breaker in place On. Yep.

Of course the night action began and the South Dakota started firing on Japanese ships with her secondaries, the range was so close, and the 5" mount tripped the breaker, which didn't release, and the short-circuit traveled up to the main panel and shut the ship down. Total dark, all power lost.

Now the USS Washington is steaming in Ironbottom Sound, with dozens of afloat contacts, flashes all over the place, two land contacts in Savo Island and Guadalcanal itself, and no idea where either the Kirishima or the SoDak is at. She has two big blooms on her radar, but which one is the Kirishima and which one the South Dakota? It's total chaos, Washington is steaming through a graveyard of burning and disabled US Destroyers, the Japs are mauling us again.

Finally, the Kirishima spots SoDak's fires, and illuminates her with enormous spotlights, and opens fire with 14". The rest of the Japanese ships follow suit. While the Kirishima and a couple of Heavy Cruisers and several Destroyers open on SoDak, peppering her with 8" and smaller shells, and at least one 14" strike on her aft turret barbette, the Washington lays her plot, totally unseen and unknown by the Japanese. The Washington has her target.

At 8400 yards or 5 Statute Miles, she opens with 16" at 12:03 AM the morning of 15th November, and ceases fire with main battery at 12:10 AM. In that 7 minutes, she manages to get 20 16" hits on Kirishima using radar-directed fire control and a fire control computer. Firing out of the dark.

20 16" hits on one ship in 7 minutes is one of the most violent gunfire actions in the history of warfare. It's point-blank range. The 2,700 lb armor-piercing shells are still traveling 2,000 mph when they strike Kirishima. Her bridge is wrecked, several underwater hits open her to flooding, the rudder control is shot away, she's set on fire, and virtually all over her topside is wrecked.

One 16" shell will open a 50-foot wide, 20-foot deep crater on a beach. The armor piercing shells will penetrate 30 feet of reinforced concrete. To concentrate that much destruction x20 on one ship, even a Battleship, is destruction beyond comprehension.

The Japanese cease the action, and so do the Americans. South Dakota is mauled with 36 dead, but she's seaworthy and not terribly damaged. The 14" hit on her barbette jams the turret, but overall she's relatively unscathed and fully capable of battle (as long as proper electrical procedures are followed). The Japanese are left to retreat and scuttle an already-sinking Kirishima on the other side of Savo Island, while the Americans lick their wounds. It's the first real victory for US surfaces forces over the Japanese and marks the turning of the Guadalcanal campaign. The Japanese won't attempt a resupply or bombardment in force again, and with confidence in their supply lines, the emboldened Marines build on their victories and begin real offensives that eventually clear the island of Japanese by early 1943.

Taking South Dakota and Washington and applying them to a night battle in Ironbottom Sound is sort of like taking a fine-tuned, large athlete like Tom Brady and sending him into a dark alley to have a knife-fight with Ninjas. It's a huge risk, with Long Lance torpedoes darting around, nobody knowing WTF is going on, and the Japanese having all of the night-fighting skills and advantages. But they do it, and win, and it's a savage victory. Those Fast Battleships were supposed to be shepherding the precious Carriers, of which the Navy was running out in late 1942. At one point, the USS Enterprise is the sole operational Carrier in the entire South Pacific.

But the Washington pulls it off, and this is supposedly a photograph of her firing on Kirishima in that action

iYCFAYx.png

Reminds me of deployment in 2002. Over a dozen of them would line up in the early morning fully loaded with death. We would watch them take off before the sun came up. They would all come back in the afternoon completely empty. This was on a tiny island called Diego Garcia. Those were some fun times. There were about 2 dozen B52 and at least a dozen B1 bombers there during that time.

i was likely there at the same time. Deployed several times 2001-2003 with the KC-10’s

i was likely there at the same time. Deployed several times 2001-2003 with the KC-10’s

Nice. I was there a total of 3 times. 1999, 2001/2002 and 2004.

The post with sound showed up on The War Zone, from an Instagram military-interest account:

The B-2 continues to amaze, yawing in on an ocean cross-wind landing with no vertical rudder.

And they really are quiet!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEsSeT5llfI/

In a post about this video of F-18s refueling in a thunderstorm (playing the ubiquitous Thunderstruck, seems military refueling operations require AC/DC, I think it's in the 22nd Amendment of the Constitution somewhere).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CExUd6HlwMu/

Warzone article:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...nister-as-hell

Last edited:
Diego Garcia is one of my favorite places in the world. I would love to be able to go back someday. The fishing there is some of the best in the world. The British do not allow commercial fishing within 500 miles of the island.

Diego Garcia is one of my favorite places in the world. I would love to be able to go back someday. The fishing there is some of the best in the world. The British do not allow commercial fishing within 500 miles of the island.

a good friends family did some crane installation and service there. sad it was a rad place.

a good friends family did some crane installation and service there. sad it was a rad place.

Most people hated it because it was so small and isolated but it was absolutely heaven for me.

Top Back Refresh