What's new

Mini 14 Re Barrel

Splib

Rusty Spoons
Member Number
Loc
Marsh
I have not found a stock type replacement (barrel:edit) for a 1980/81' stock Ruger mini-14. This one is a 182-xxxx serial number and has stainless 18-inch barrel, " CAL .223", SS metal parts and a wood stock. Shilen makes a "Heavy" barrel, not what I am looking for. I gather the barrel design has been improved, but I haven't been able to find a source for a stock replacement barrel, be it new and improved or the original thin whippet barrel. - thanks

Last edited:
Not trying to be condescending, honestly. Have you tried Ruger? I have a 184 series SS mini so what you learn may apply to me (prolly not, however. I have shot that one less than 30 times in the last 30 years).

Might have something or build you a factory looking barrel.

My 181 series was stringing and I looked into rebarreling it and it wasn’t worth the money to me so I traded it off. It was fun to shoot unless you wanted to actually hit something.

They say adding a bit of weight to the end such as a eagle brand muzzle break or flash hider will help. Maybe even a strut.

Not trying to be condescending, honestly. Have you tried Ruger? I have a 184 series SS mini so what you learn may apply to me (prolly not, however. I have shot that one less than 30 times in the last 30 years).

Yeah, you're OK, :flipoff2: and I started at their website. IMHO their web page is not useful. i.e. you cant start at a weapon and search parts, or, start at parts and search weapon. And the min-14 is black hole, no info coming out. Could be me. Yeah, probably just me. :laughing: Midway has spoiled me. But it's not like searching for an AR-15 or a Mauser barrel. I can't have the only 35 yo Mini-14 with a dark nasty bore and be the only splinker that wants a replacement barrel.

I don't want to make my pitted dark whore/bore shoot better. As I stated, I am looking for a replacement barrel. I had no fucking clue that t these weapons now retail over $800. It's worth it to me to re-barrel same with like, direct replacement or same fit upgrade. I understand that the newer barrels shoot better, so thats on the table.

If anyone posts up a Ruger link for a replacement barrel, the part, not the service, please do so, so that numb nuts can stumble into it. I can always wait until after the holidays and call my ancient gunsmith. He doesn't do e-mail or web anything. - thanks

Yeah, you're OK, :flipoff2: and I started at their website. IMHO their web page is not useful. i.e. you cant start at a weapon and search parts, or, start at parts and search weapon. And the min-14 is black hole, no info coming out. Could be me. Yeah, probably just me. :laughing: Midway has spoiled me. But it's not like searching for an AR-15 or a Mauser barrel. I can't have the only 35 yo Mini-14 with a dark nasty bore and be the only splinker that wants a replacement barrel.

I don't want to make my pitted dark whore/bore shoot better. As I stated, I am looking for a replacement barrel. I had no fucking clue that t these weapons now retail over $800. It's worth it to me to re-barrel same with like, direct replacement or same fit upgrade. I understand that the newer barrels shoot better, so thats on the table.

If anyone posts up a Ruger link for a replacement barrel, the part, not the service, please do so, so that numb nuts can stumble into it. I can always wait until after the holidays and call my ancient gunsmith. He doesn't do e-mail or web anything. - thanks

Thanks MP

I found that site just now and was going to post it for the benefit of anyone else doing this. I will wait, however and talk to my guy. I would hate to have him say " ya shoulda waited I can get this . . . . ." :homer: Interested to see how much I can sink into this rabbit killing Zombie maybe sooner than later weapon. If I can get the barrel installed and head spaced, test fired for under $400 I am doing it.

From the Ruger site: Factory Ruger mags 5,10,20 shot start at $29 and go up from there . . . .. . Ruger also shows Magpul for about 1/2 that . .. .

FWIW, the new style barrel will require a new style gas block, that'll bump the price up a bit.

Call Ruger. They have a building full of NOS parts.

Thanks MP

I found that site just now and was going to post it for the benefit of anyone else doing this. I will wait, however and talk to my guy. I would hate to have him say " ya shoulda waited I can get this . . . . ." :homer: Interested to see how much I can sink into this rabbit killing Zombie maybe sooner than later weapon. If I can get the barrel installed and head spaced, test fired for under $400 I am doing it.

From the Ruger site: Factory Ruger mags 5,10,20 shot start at $29 and go up from there . . . .. . Ruger also shows Magpul for about 1/2 that . .. .
The Magpul mags on the Ruger site are not intended for the Mini. They are AR compatible mags. I don't think Magpul supports the Mini at all. ProMag might support the Mini but I wouldn't take their mags even if they were FREE. Yes, Mini mags are expensive...

That is exactly what I meant to say. I only implied it. Pick up a phone and talk to a person.
I understood what you meant. Some people need to be guided a little more. I needed a part for an older ruger and this guy I worked with a while ago said he has family that works there and told me to call them.

Their customer service is awesome. Got the part I needed for no charge. They did say they wont send out some parts they want to fix them in house. For a barrel they may want you to send them the gun so they can headspace it properly.

Thanks for the help. I have been doured and soured since the Wuhan BS in getting customer service from other industries. It has literally disappeared. Will call them on Monday. :beer:

I've had a Mini-14 SS Ranch with a synthetic stock for about 20 years. It's not crazy accurate, but is very robust. It's a great trunk gun, and is what I take when going on expedition type off road trips. Never had a misfeed, except when I tried a Promag. Only Ruger mags work correctly.

For the record. Ruger customer service 336 949 5200 From their webpage - Customer Service

Notice the Prescott AZ heading for the (336) area code. 336 is in North Carolina. OK. :homer: Talked to Charlotte in service repair and Ruger does not offer replacement barrels for the older rifles. They can't sell a new or old barrel with or without a gas block to me, to my gunsmith or anyone for that matter. The option they have is for me to mail them my family heirloom :flipoff2: and they will replace it with a new rifle at reduced cost :lmao::lmao:

That is just something special. Like an Old Isuzu commercial. So that leaves aftermarket, apparently. Looks like I will have to lurk some Ruger forum or some similar :idea: Suggestions for a Ruger username ? :laughing: I trust my gunsmith could take a piece of railroad tie and end up with a barrel for this thing and it would cycle and shoot fine but fuck me this is not a simple deal at all so far.

Not the answer I was expecting at all.

I'd still call Accuracy Systems and see what they offer or if they have a used stock barrel. They do nice work and have fast turn around. Had my mini 30 trigger worked over by them and it's night and day.

I called Accuracy Systems and got voicemail, left message. We'll see. Went through over 100 posts on a min-14 thread on CalGuns and my eyes are bleeding . . . . :eek:

Welp, as a vintage Mini-14 "enthusiast" that does suck... One time I wanted just the top portion of the Mini-14 gas block for an "experiment", I scoured the intardnet and finally found an entire gas block for ~$20. It was from a private gunshop/gunsmith I found online and when I called to see if he still had it he had to go and check. I still have the lower part loitering somewhere. Not exactly what you want to hear and I wish I remembered where I bought it.

Moral: These rifles are being (or have been) parted out. And I do know that there are demilled AC556 parts kits but those are pricey just for a barrel. Keep searching, a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (or whatever bullshit to use for motivation). :laughing:

Welp, as a vintage Mini-14 "enthusiast" that does suck... One time I wanted just the top portion of the Mini-14 gas block for an "experiment", I scoured the intardnet and finally found an entire gas block for ~$20. It was from a private gunshop/gunsmith I found online and when I called to see if he still had it he had to go and check. I still have the lower part loitering somewhere. Not exactly what you want to hear and I wish I remembered where I bought it.

Moral: These rifles are being (or have been) parted out. And I do know that there are demilled AC556 parts kits but those are pricey just for a barrel. Keep searching, a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step (or whatever bullshit to use for motivation). :laughing:
I spent close to $500 for a SS factory folder gas block.

At one time apex gun parts sold disassembled ac556 carbines, not sure if they still have parts though.

You guys are scaring me :eek:

Looks like this weapon may remain crusty dusty. Going to go hug my AR :flipoff2:

I spent close to $500 for a SS factory folder gas block.

At one time apex gun parts sold disassembled ac556 carbines, not sure if they still have parts though.
Wow, I've got TWO of 'em...

You guys are scaring me :eek:

Looks like this weapon may remain crusty dusty. Going to go hug my AR :flipoff2:
Annnnnd you’re at my jumping off point with the one I owned. This isn’t new, I had the same offer from Ruger ~8 years ago. The difference is mine had 0 sentimental value so strictly a decision of utility.
My suggestion: Enjoy it with family and keep it as is for special times. I’m doing that with several old family firearms just to make good memories for the next owners.
I do wish you the best of luck with getting it a decent barrel, though.

Bill Ruger keeps screwing people even from beyond the grave

Top Back Refresh