What's new

Mexico kicks ass!

Sounds like a good time Crispins, keep the report flowing.

I'm headed for Baja in a couple of months to do some off-road camping and exploring. Is there any reason to bother with exchanging money to their version of currency? I figure they will all happily accept green backs but maybe there are some circumstances where I should have pesos? It's been 20 years since I have crossed the border and I've never been to that part of Mexico.

Sounds like a good time Crispins, keep the report flowing.

I'm headed for Baja in a couple of months to do some off-road camping and exploring. Is there any reason to bother with exchanging money to their version of currency? I figure they will all happily accept green backs but maybe there are some circumstances where I should have pesos? It's been 20 years since I have crossed the border and I've never been to that part of Mexico.
Here is what I found, most of the time when they convert to peso's they short you a little.

like right now it is 1 dollar to 19.80 pesos, but most places here have a sign that it is 18 to 1

Not really a huge difference, but annoying to me.

Xplor was beyond amazing.

My wife did all 14 ziplines, they thought I was too fat so I only got to do 3 of them.

I do not have the wordsmith skills to explain how cool it is there.

The park is built around a cave system, most of the walkways to different areas of the park are underground.

The beauty of those caves is more amazing than any cave I have been to before, and I have been to over a dozen in my life.

Everyone is so friendly here, life is good as fuck.

As far as booming, here in Playa everything is under construction, everything.

I think I am going to put money down (not today but sometime next year once I know other things are going right for me) on a pre-construction in North Playa 5th Ave.

Yes I get the risks, I am not stupid at all. I may lose my money but most likely I will turn it into much more money and have a spot to stay at when I come down for a month or more every winter. I may or may not rent it out for the rest of the year (most likely will not tho as I would prefer to keep it for myself)

Anyway leaving tommorow, sad to come home but I have an off road park to build and construction starts wend.

Notify your bank of your travel and hit the atm when you get down there, better exchange rate.

Mexico is bad, stay out.
or don't and go swim with whale sharks.
1670949781985.png

95% of your tourist destinations are going to be safe, but you dont want to play the any games of fuck around and find out....

I have several Mexican friends and from what they tell me, if you dont know where exactly your going then you will get fucked.

One of my friends, his family here in the U.S (dad, uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins) have all been saving for almost 20 years to buy a ranch in Mexico and they were closing on a 1k acre farm when they found out it was edging on a Cartel territory and that they would have to pay xxx tax to the cartel to operate. So they ended up buying further south, but now they have to drive almost 9 hours one way when they go to visit the ranch. He told me when driving down they get stopped at check stations ran by corrupt army/ police and once they find out your dual citizen you have to pay $ to get through, He said they will literally hold you hostage there until you pay the money.

The other buddy of mine used to invite me to Mexico until about 10 or so years ago. He used to go to a town about 2 hours on the other side of the boarder. It's a poor town where he said you can live like a king for $100. About 10 years ago he got robbed while there and when he went to report it to the police they threatened to disappear him... Turned out the town became a Cartel town and he supposedly barely made it out alive on that trip.

Lastly, a good buddy that I have been working with for 17 years, we are the same age and we worked together in the field when we were younger. He was a green card Mexican until about 6-7 years ago when he became a resident. He married a white chick and the only way he takes her back to Mexico is on a tour bus. He said that he is scared if they drove and had to stop in a Cartel town they will kidnap her and he will either have to pay a ransom or worse....

SO, long story short.... Fuck Mexico.... I'd love to go, It's a beautiful country and would offer the outdoors person a shit ton of fun, but it's a corrupt shit hole!

Top Back Refresh