What's new

MCI 102-C3 coach to RV - Chassis/Suspension

Anyone ever purchase anything from govplanet and have it freight shipped? I'm trying to figure out the process and can't get through to any staff that knows.

Java said,
JNHEscher said:
Anyone ever purchase anything from govplanet and have it freight shipped? I'm trying to figure out the process and can't get through to any staff that knows.​
No.... But what are you buying?! :evil:

Java said:
No.... But what are you buying?! :evil:
Stuff :flipoff2:
They have a few things of interest that are heavy enough to require freight shipping. I'm too short on time and a vehicle to make it to any of the auction locations in time to grab them. At the moment, I don't know if they have staff that runs a forklift to load your stuff or if you're expected to do it all yourself. Same goes for freight. Don't really know how they work that or if the shipper has to load it all and charge more.

aczlan said,
JNHEscher said:
Stuff :flipoff2:
They have a few things of interest that are heavy enough to require freight shipping. I'm too short on time and a vehicle to make it to any of the auction locations in time to grab them. At the moment, I don't know if they have staff that runs a forklift to load your stuff or if you're expected to do it all yourself. Same goes for freight. Don't really know how they work that or if the shipper has to load it all and charge more.​
Look down on the bottom right in the "Pickup Terms" section. A couple of examples:
T6UtiNL.png

3pfV9Y6.png

Aaron Z

aczlan said:
Look down on the bottom right in the "Pickup Terms" section. A couple of examples:
T6UtiNL.png

3pfV9Y6.png

Aaron Z​
Missed that. Clears up the pick up option. Still waiting for the listings to show the sizes and weights for shipping quote. When I fill out the shipping quote page, it asks for Make and Model. I asked about how to fill that out when there's no make and model listed and got no answer. Any idea?

Java said:
Axle tech 4000's not sure if they are what your looking for.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8pOTdXh...=15hr1m99fponp

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk​
Clean units. Who and where is this guy? I don't use Instagram, though I was able to view all the pics and comments. If I am to go with rigid axles, I do need a pair of narrow steers.

Edit: He's this dude https://www.instagram.com/fugarwi/. Sweet build. Arizona isn't too far away and I have family next to Phoenix.

Java said,
JNHEscher said:
Clean units. Who and where is this guy? I don't use Instagram, though I was able to view all the pics and comments. If I am to go with rigid axles, I do need a pair of narrow steers.

Edit: He's this dude https://www.instagram.com/fugarwi/. Sweet build. Arizona isn't too far away and I have family next to Phoenix.​
Hes on Expo under the same name. I thought I had his email, but I am not finding it....

https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/2617620?h=6-22

So we've been trying like hell to get transportation figured out for Oshkosk axle sets. Missed out on a full set of three off an MK23 or equivalent the other day that would have been just right for the bus. I'll take a pair, just to get something started. I don't want or need the tires and wheels, so I'd sell those off for dirt cheap or partial trade for somebody to haul the axles out here.

We have no vehicle or trailer to haul them with. My friend's truck is currently getting an engine rebuild. Freight and hot shot quotes are a minimum of $5K. I looked at a 2005 GMC 5500 with 24' flatbed today. $4500 obo with a diff that needs a rebuild. Dead battery, so I couldn't get a test drive today.

This axle search is frustrating us. There's nothing nearby that we're ready to jump on and we found out yesterday that Colorado passed a bill last year that bans all military vehicles from being driven in the state by civilians. I suppose this explains why every deuce disappeared.

Pt_Ranger_V8 said,

For axle transportation, post up here.

If they're in the Oklahoma (ish) area, I have a trailer to carry 1-3 axles on, depending on the weight. I can store them until you can either get them, or arrange to transport them. Pretty sure others are the same way.

Pt_Ranger_V8 said:
For axle transportation, post up here.

If they're in the Oklahoma (ish) area, I have a trailer to carry 1-3 axles on, depending on the weight. I can store them until you can either get them, or arrange to transport them. Pretty sure others are the same way.​
These sets are in Albany, Georgia. I forgot to add the conflicting info I've getting about loading them. The auction listing says no loading dock, ramps, or forklift available. I've called Richie Bros/GovPlanet a couple times about these. They're just call center workers that tell me that you are not offered loading assistance. I've emailed and messaged them about it - no response. There's quite a few videos showing staff loading full vehicles with a fork truck. I asked around a bunch and have been told every time that you pull into the front of the lot and they load your part/vehicle right on your trailer. Pretty sure they would load the axles without hesitation, but what in the fuck? Why do these Oshkosh axle auctions say no forklift while all other auctions do?

Don't mean to rant, but we've been burned by so many people since moving to Colorado that we don't want a few more thousand dollars on the line. I'm pretty comfortable with a few of you guys helping on this since a few of you have probably been watching this build from day one. I just want it to go smoothly and come in at a cost that the wife agrees to since she's the one busting her ass to pay for it all. She's about as enthused about the axle swap as I am, but doesn't want to blow all her money in one shot. I need a truck, dammit.

bdkw1 said,

Might try to find out where they are located and call them. The GOV website said no loading for mine, but the guys there loaded it on the trailer. A lot of this stuff is moved to a central storage place for auction. These usually have the required equipment to load them.

Edit: Holy shit! If this is at 31°32'50.6"N 84°10'40.0"W, That is where I picked up my step van. Those guys at the yard are supper cool and can load it.

bdkw1 said:
Might try to find out where they are located and call them. The GOV website said no loading for mine, but the guys there loaded it on the trailer. A lot of this stuff is moved to a central storage place for auction. These usually have the required equipment to load them.

Edit: Holy shit! If this is at 31°32'50.6"N 84°10'40.0"W, That is where I picked up my step van. Those guys at the yard are supper cool and can load it.​
Yeah, I asked some folks about the Albany yard. Was told they're really cool there. I need to get a direct phone number to somebody at that yard. If I can straighten out the confusion on loading and the transport cost is more reasonable, it's a go. These can even be hauled to Concordia, MO. to be stored at my buddy's place to shorten the drive.

I was about to step into the bus to make calls to figure out hauling these axles. 50-60mph now. Suppose I'll hop in the 4Runner.

Edit: Fastenal was suggested yesterday - axles are entirely too large for them to accept. No luck contacting the auction yard or independent shippers. Lumber yard selling the flatbed isn't answering yet. I'd really like to take a quick ride in it to let my ears hear what they hear.

Oshkosh MK23, 25, 27, and 28 with TAK-4:

3.556:1 planetary wheel hubs which are the exact same ratio as the common AxleTech 4000's. Swappable, I'd say. There's a few noticeable between the internals of the end plates.

1.687:1 R&P ratio. TAK-4 and AT4K diffs look identical. Possibly swappable, too.

5.999:1 overall ratio. I would find a way to lock the wheel hub gears, which would give me a 2.14:1 axle ratio. Stock is 3.33:1

30000 series transfer case. 1.27:1 underdrive, single speed. 32/68 planetary torque split. If I acquired one, I'd open it up to see if the diff can be flipped around. With a rear-engine bus, everything is backwards in comparison to the vehicles that use the drivetrains that I'm considering.

Put those ratios together with our Allison HT740D and loaded Michelins that revolve 491 times per mile and you drop the engine rpm to about 1,300 at 70mph. About 100rpm below peak torque rpm, which I'd call a decent win considering what I'd be working with. Them military trucks are geared low.

911.jpg

02rexwi said,
JNHEscher said:
Oshkosh MK23, 25, 27, and 28 with TAK-4:

3.556:1 planetary wheel hubs which are the exact same ratio as the common AxleTech 4000's. Swappable, I'd say. There's a few noticeable between the internals of the end plates.

1.687:1 R&P ratio. TAK-4 and AT4K diffs look identical. Possibly swappable, too.

5.999:1 overall ratio. I would find a way to lock the wheel hub gears, which would give me a 2.14:1 axle ratio. Stock is 3.33:1

30000 series transfer case. 1.27:1 underdrive, single speed. 32/68 planetary torque split. If I acquired one, I'd open it up to see if the diff can be flipped around. With a rear-engine bus, everything is backwards in comparison to the vehicles that use the drivetrains that I'm considering.

Put those ratios together with our Allison HT740D and loaded Michelins that revolve 491 times per mile and you drop the engine rpm to about 1,300 at 70mph. About 100rpm below peak torque rpm, which I'd call a decent win considering what I'd be working with. Them military trucks are geared low.​
I wouldn't count on the wheel end gearing swapping. It's very similar, but not quite enough to swap.

Again, I don't think the R&P would swap, but it is VERY close to Axletech 5000's. The 4000 housing is different...

Flipping the differential in the t-case would only flip the torque proportion to the other direction (more torque to the front axle). Rotation direction would stay the same. You could flip the differential housing in the side-to-side differential. This would be easy on a non drive-thru carrier. The drive-thru carrier would require a different housing.

As for locking out the wheel end gearing. It could be done in theory, but your ratio isn't correct. You'd be left with only the ring and pinion ratio of 1.68:1. This would also put a lot more strain on everything upstream of the wheel end planetary. None of that was intended to be transmitting that much torque.

[486] said,
02rexwi said:
Flipping the differential in the t-case would only flip the torque proportion to the other direction (more torque to the front axle). Rotation direction would stay the same. You could flip the differential housing in the side-to-side differential. This would be easy on a non drive-thru carrier. The drive-thru carrier would require a different housing.​
well, flip the whole housing and rework the mounts

[486] said,
JNHEscher said:
I would find a way to lock the wheel hub gears, which would give me a 2.14:1 axle ratio
Put those ratios together with our Allison HT740D and loaded Michelins that revolve 491 times per mile and you drop the engine rpm to about 1,300 at 70mph. About 100rpm below peak torque rpm, which I'd call a decent win considering what I'd be working with. Them military trucks are geared low.​
I don't see why you're going to all the effort of AWD when it isn't going to be able to pull itself over much of anything with those kind of ratios

It's just that you're adding all this driveline loss, and knobby tires that ensure that it'll get 4 mpg or worse, then you're seeking out axle ratios that make the top gear of your very limited ratio spread borderline useless (you are running an allison, right?) in the search for fuel economy.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I'd be real tempted to give it a go with a lift axle in the rear and a locking single diff with some real mean concrete/garbage truck drive tires

Got some corrections to make.
02rexwi said:
I wouldn't count on the wheel end gearing swapping. It's very similar, but not quite enough to swap.

Again, I don't think the R&P would swap, but it is VERY close to Axletech 5000's. The 4000 housing is different...

Flipping the differential in the t-case would only flip the torque proportion to the other direction (more torque to the front axle). Rotation direction would stay the same. You could flip the differential housing in the side-to-side differential. This would be easy on a non drive-thru carrier. The drive-thru carrier would require a different housing.

As for locking out the wheel end gearing. It could be done in theory, but your ratio isn't correct. You'd be left with only the ring and pinion ratio of 1.68:1. This would also put a lot more strain on everything upstream of the wheel end planetary. None of that was intended to be transmitting that much torque.​
Forgot that AT4K hubs are four-pinion and the Oshkosh are three.

Being a pusher bus, the t-case input would face the rear, facing the 68% towards the front axle. I'd much rather find a t-case with a 50/50 diff. Still working on it. Being able to spin the proportional diff around would suffice.

I know that the wheel hubs reduce the driveline torque a ton. Theoretically locking the hubs to get a better ratio was the best I had come up with so far. Double t-case to achieve double overdrive might work out much better. I haven't come up with any other combo to work without swapping the trans to what the MTVR's use. The ratio is actually correct. I made a confusing typo. 2.14:1 comes from the 1.27:1 t-case and 1.68:1 r&p. Still too high.
[486] said:
well, flip the whole housing and rework the mounts​
If we're thinking of the same thing, indeed. I'll chop up anything the make what I'm after.
[486] said:
I don't see why you're going to all the effort of AWD when it isn't going to be able to pull itself over much of anything with those kind of ratios

It's just that you're adding all this driveline loss, and knobby tires that ensure that it'll get 4 mpg or worse, then you're seeking out axle ratios that make the top gear of your very limited ratio spread borderline useless (you are running an allison, right?) in the search for fuel economy.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I'd be real tempted to give it a go with a lift axle in the rear and a locking single diff with some real mean concrete/garbage truck drive tires​
Agree that the overall ratio of that combo is disappointing. 4th gear would bring the suck. I'm not running knobby tires (referring to XZL's?). I'll be running OTR 42"ish tires which are 10" shorter than XZL's. Haven't once been after increasing fuel mileage. 5mpg is pretty much tops for the buses with the 8v92 and I expect to see less. I'm still going straight for drive axles all the way around. Just gotta get that gearing pinned down. It'll happen.

bdkw1 said,

Too bad you dont have more room between the axles. T600 between the rear axles, drive on rear axle with the front output and drive the other with the rear output. Drive the front axle with the PTO output (in high range only).

bdkw1 said:
Too bad you dont have more room between the axles. T600 between the rear axles, drive on rear axle with the front output and drive the other with the front output. Drive the front axle with the PTO output (in high range only).​
That's pretty similar to what I had laid out in the original plan when I was intending to use AT4500's and later wasn't aware that tandem axles had 50/50 diffs in them. Might go back to that. Looking a AT4500's again since they're close to half the weight of a TAK-4 and have some sweet disc brakes. No drive-through diffs, so a t-case with center diff would need to go between axles. Probably a lot easier to match up gear ratios that way and I might even stack t-cases to achieve the correct high range ratio and brag out having doublers on a bus when I crawl to top of gnarly camping spot and campers up there go nuts when the see us coming.

Kunker said,
JNHEscher said:
Agree that the overall ratio of that combo is disappointing. 4th gear would bring the suck. I'm not running knobby tires (referring to XZL's?). I'll be running OTR 42"ish tires which are 10" shorter than XZL's. Haven't once been after increasing fuel mileage. 5mpg is pretty much tops for the buses with the 8v92 and I expect to see less. I'm still going straight for drive axles all the way around. Just gotta get that gearing pinned down. It'll happen.​
New to the thread (thank you for your transport thread to get me in here), but I'm glad to hear you're sticking to the crazy vision vs being practical - I learn more from "crazy" than cookie-cutter stuff.

Kunker said:
New to the thread (thank you for your transport thread to get me in here), but I'm glad to hear you're sticking to the crazy vision vs being practical - I learn more from "crazy" than cookie-cutter stuff.​
This is great. You're in good company, sir. I was going to delete the transport thread last night, but got very occupied. Perhaps it is best that I leave the thread and report back when I find my final solution.

I suppose I'm not too crazy to be building an 8x8 MCI if 8x8 Prevosts roam the lands of Canada, though ours would actually have four drive axles. I've been spotting 8x8 cranes and concrete pumps more frequently, lately. Just need this virus to go away, get the truck registered, and more axles to show up.

912.jpg

bdkw1 said,

God help you if you ever need to do engine work on one of those. In frames bring the suck and you have to cut the frames to get the motor out.

The tour video has been popping up on my YT feed for some months. Watching it right now. Still walking around the exterior. I do not envy the maintenance they have to do on it, but crazy cool otherwise. All the more reason I need to make ours a true 8x8.

Top Back Refresh