What's new

Master Socket Sets

Sweet Lou

Member Number
What do you folks recommend for a decent all inclusive socket set? Over the years my socket sets have become piece-meal at best. I do still have a decent Craftsmen Cube but I would like to reserve that for wheeling/road trip type situations.

I am using this for personal at-home work only, not for commercial type applications. These will live in my garage tool box and come out for any project at hand. These will not be used in a business-type setting for selling my work to customers, portraying an image, etc. I have different tools for that.

What do you folks suggest for sockets-only sets. I don't need foam, organizers, ratchets, 50 different torx style bits, screwdrivers, etc. Preferably an all-inclusive socket set, standard, metric 6 point/12point, etc. Ideally has the biggest span in sizing as well. Needs to have some sort of warranty. Not opposed to buying used either.

How big are you needing? Up to 1"? Bigger?
1" minimum, I would say 1 5/16" being ideal. Can always buy a few bigger to supplement if needed. Other than my honda beater DD and boat everything I work with at home seems to be diesel applications or rock crawler stuff.

Most times you buy a set that goes up to 15/16 then another set that goes from 1" to 2" ish.

I've been eyefucking these for the awhile now. You said you didn't need rachets or anything but in this case I've been really liking the span of sizes. You can go browse other parts of the site for sockets only kits. They're not high end by any means but I like the price and I bet they'd work good for home gaming.

Most times you buy a set that goes up to 15/16 then another set that goes from 1" to 2" ish.

I'm aware and more than willing to do that.

I've been eyefucking these for the awhile now. You said you didn't need rachets or anything but in this case I've been really liking the span of sizes. You can go browse other parts of the site for sockets only kits. They're not high end by any means but I like the price and I bet they'd work good for home gaming.

Those Tektons are decent, I've played with them a few times. I really don't want to pay extra for the cases, and my biggest concern is I don't see any 12 point sockets on their site - maybe I didn't spend enough time there.

yeah, they definitely have more range on the 6pt side. but the 12pt offerings are there.

or this one for ya

I'm aware and more than willing to do that.

Those Tektons are decent, I've played with them a few times. I really don't want to pay extra for the cases, and my biggest concern is I don't see any 12 point sockets on their site - maybe I didn't spend enough time there.
Why do you want 12 pt sockets? :confused:

Gearwrench or Tekton would be my mid-budget go to brands for sockets. I have some of both and prefer the Gearwrench ones.

Funny though, my most used socket sets are some $35 a tray for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive in 6 and 12 pt, one tray metric and one tray sae, from princess auto and I've yet to lose or break one in a good 6-7 years. Then again I don't use cheaters (just move up a drive size or add heat/fluid) or chrome on impact or anything stupid like that.

1/2 drive and larger, just go impact sockets. I like doing separate cased sets, they're easy to grab based on what you're working on, and easy to stack up in a tool bag when hitting the road.

How close are you to a Canadian Border? Or do you have Canadian Shipping companies like Cross Border Pick Ups that will bring them Stateside?
Can't really go wrong with a Canadian Tire master socket set... especially when they go for like 50% off!

1639603202854.png

It isn't currently on sale but it's not uncommon for this to be 50% sometimes 75% off and these are good quality sockets. My CT set is +40 years old and I've replaced 2 sockets that I personally abused the hell out of.

I went Harbor Freight Icon for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. I don’t use it for a living. They haven’t let me down yet.

Why do you want 12 pt sockets? :confused:
lots of stuff has 12pt heads on fasteners

they're also real handy for hammering onto rusted and rounded bolts
going next size down on a 6pt doesn't have much bitey edges, really just the middle of six greasy flats, couple sizes down on a 12pt has a lot more stabby points to bite in when you hammer it on because the middle of the flat is relieved

going next size down on a 6pt doesn't have much bitey edges, really just the middle of six greasy flats, couple sizes down on a 12pt has a lot more stabby points to bite in when you hammer it on because the middle of the flat is relieved

I rarely see 12pt on anything except like head studs and axle nuts and such...I'd say 99% of the stuff I find out there is 6pt and if I had to choose one set, I'd go that way.

Secondly, just get those spiral removal sockets...WAY better than hammering sockets on.

Secondly, just get those spiral removal sockets...WAY better than hammering sockets on.
those work okay once or twice
then they're rounded out trash

I've got a full set of the good mayhew ones in reserve (even the $500 1/4 dr set in 0.25mm increments that at the time you could only get through MAC) that I haven't touched yet. Always seem to be able to finagle a way to weld or torch or otherwise fuckulate broken shit out without putting the mileage on those guys

those work okay once or twice
then they're rounded out trash

I've got a full set of the good mayhew ones in reserve (even the $500 1/4 dr set in 0.25mm increments that at the time you could only get through MAC) that I haven't touched yet. Always seem to be able to finagle a way to weld or torch or otherwise fuckulate broken shit out without putting the mileage on those guys

The ones I have aren't the tight spirals but more aggressive teeth....I haven't rounded out any of them yet.

1639632498068.png

I've had way better luck forcing an undersize 6pt onto a rounded off 6pt than I have doing that with a 12pt.

I think unless the bolt is so rounded that you're forming a head from scratch you might as well do the 6pt since the material is already closer to that shape.

If you would have used a 6 pt to begin with, you wouldn't have a rounded off bolt that you now need a special socket to remove.:homer:

:lmao:

Is the husky stuff any good for the price these days? When I was a teenager my Grandpa bought us a big husky socket set and they are still rolling around in my tool drawer to this day with zero issues and I'm not afraid to put chrome 12 points on the impact.:homer:

I do have a big set from sunex that I like but no 12 points and it comes in an orange case.

I've had way better luck forcing an undersize 6pt onto a rounded off 6pt than I have doing that with a 12pt.
I think unless the bolt is so rounded that you're forming a head from scratch you might as well do the 6pt since the material is already closer to that shape.
sure thing, AvE
If you would have used a 6 pt to begin with, you wouldn't have a rounded off bolt that you now need a special socket to remove.:homer:
sure thing, jimmy numbers

I love my GP socket sets, cases are thin as possible to better fit in drawers.
The master sets include wobbles and extensions.
There wobbles IMO are equal to the older Snap On sockets in every way.

81 actual useful sockets $380

I’ve been happy with my Tekton sockets so far, I’m slowly replacing all of the Craftsman stuff I’ve had for 20+ years with them.

I like that the sets don’t skip sizes and you can buy individual sockets cheaply. I don’t like having to buy metric and SAE, shallow and deep, 6pt and 12 pt in everything though.

Land Rover and Ducati seem to be fans of 12pt stuff for some reason. I prefer the E-Torx as there are fewer sizes.

Top Back Refresh