What's new

Maine trailer plates

Soule88

Member Number
Loc
Central Illinois
Who's done the out of state trailer registration? Illinois can eat my ass, $256 dollars a year for a trailer that will see 200 or so miles a year? Pass. My plates are due here soon on my 10K PJ tilt and Id like to swap it over to a little more budget friendly options,

Who did you use to do the paperwork?
Have you had any issues with the out of state registration?

I just used the first google result. Works great for flipping "no title" trailers. Obviously it puts the responsibility on you if it does turn up stolen but for shit dragged out of yards that's not likely.

Never had issue dragging them around but I also don't live in a state where trailer registration is a revenue stream.

Last edited:
Why Maine?

Trailers are permanent registration here, for $30 I think, maybe it's $20.

Why Maine?

Trailers are permanent registration here, for $30 I think, maybe it's $20.
Because you can do it without being in state (your business agreement with the middle man satisfies their law) and they basically DGAF as long as the form is filled out.

I could register my dog as a trailer and they would be ok with it.

mine just expired last month, was planning on just running it without renewing but maybe i'll do this instead

my brother did it to avoid PA inspection on his homebuilt m100 trailer because it was a PITA.

They would only take a prior registration, so i registered it in ohio because we don't have titles for a trailer less than 1K lbs, so a weigh slip and a trip to the DMV and he had a registration document with a made up VIN. I filled out a bill of sale and he sent that with the registration with my name on it to the company in maine. plates showed up in the mail.

I live here (Maine) and just registered a 24' Enclosed (10k Street Stroller (Strohl Corp)) in the fall. It was $85 or $65 i think for 2 years. First time you register with a new to you trailer/recently bought you have to pay sales tax. Obviously not the case if you already owned it but "just moved to town".

Requirements were: Prior registration or VIN they can check in the system, and a piece of mail/bill proving youre a resident.

Under 7500lb and I believe you dont even need the vin.

I just sent in my info this morning.
Scan of the title, and a power of attorney form. $99 dollars for 5 years and $19 shipping.
Now we wait. I used Mainetrailerregistrations.com

I have all of my trailers registered in Maine. Its pretty straightforward. Even if you don't have a title, its pretty common to register homebuilt trailers.

But I also live here.:flipoff2:

Now this has me wondering how these groups make their money, Obviously they arent doing it for free.

I have all of my trailers registered in Maine. Its pretty straightforward. Even if you don't have a title, its pretty common to register homebuilt trailers.

But I also live here.:flipoff2:

I live here too.....but I wanted to register it as a real trailer...since it is LOL. Boooo me

Look at Michigan. They have a permanent plate that was pretty reasonable last I looked, and no issue registering out of state.

I use Staab Agency. Have for the last 10 years, I'm near Buffalo NY and haven't had an issue covering alot of the 50 states and Canada with a Maine plate. Have 3 trailers registered there.

Last I knew you can't do campers but haven't looked into it lately.

You talking about Maine?

They don't require a prior reg at the state level. Might have been the middle man you were going through covering their ass.
I'm not sure the details, but I believe it was the state of maine requiring it to have a vin, so we needed paperwork showing a vin, and the easiest way to do that was to register it in ohio.
100% because home made trailer.

I'm not sure the details, but I believe it was the state of maine requiring it to have a vin, so we needed paperwork showing a vin,
It's just a box on a form. They DGAF what you do.

You stamp whatver you want into the trailer and write the same thing on the "bill of sale" and you're golden.

Think of Maine Trailer Vins like Palmetto State or 80% lower Serial numbers.

I'm fairly certain Homemades don't have/need a VIN though. I haven't seen it done since I was a teenager though. My dad registers his trailers once a decade maybe, and all of mine have actual VINs.

I do my 25k PJ and my inline proline snowmobile trailer registered in ME. MA title then i call a reg company up there and get a plate for 12 years at a fraction of what taxachusetts is trying to fuck me for. I've heard of out of staters getting burned by the police, but i din du nuffin.

Bumping this thread back up for anybody that's on the fence about it... Super easy process, I went with Maine Trailer Registration & Title Applications - Staab Agency as previously mentioned in this thread. Filled out form online along with Scans of Bill of sale, Title, and Power of Attorney on Friday. Paid for 12 year Plates with CC, Registration and plate showed up monday... Possible added Bonus, Since the trailer is not tagged in Va where I live, I Theoretically shouldn't be getting a personal property tax bill for it every year, since that is how they determine what items they charge property taxes on.

Bumping this thread back up for anybody that's on the fence about it... Super easy process, I went with Maine Trailer Registration & Title Applications - Staab Agency as previously mentioned in this thread. Filled out form online along with Scans of Bill of sale, Title, and Power of Attorney on Friday. Paid for 12 year Plates with CC, Registration and plate showed up monday... Possible added Bonus, Since the trailer is not tagged in Va where I live, I Theoretically shouldn't be getting a personal property tax bill for it every year, since that is how they determine what items they charge property taxes on.
The charge taxes on stuff you own??

So a guy with a yard full of equipment, parts cars, etc gets raped?

The charge taxes on stuff you own??

So a guy with a yard full of equipment, parts cars, etc gets raped?

THey charge taxes on the vehicles that are registered and "use the road" Any vehicle, trailer, Motorcycle,camper with plates and registration is taxed. If it doesnt have plates then its no problem... I have titles for my atvs, sxs and a couple of other vehicles and there are no property taxes. There is also a tax relief type deal where if the vehicle is older or worth less than a certain amount you dont pay taxes on it. This 2023 equipment trailer will be the newest thing in the yard by 9 years so the taxes would probably be as much as my 06 silverado 3500... (which isnt all that much, but still its the point of not paying prop taxes on something I already own)

Top Back Refresh