What's new

Magnitude replacement cases - NP205 and Dana 300

Tyler already touched on it but going to add. Part of the difference in height is the bottom cover on the atlas. For all ratios lower than 3:1 the difference in gear size necessitates pulling the center gear first before the input or output gears will be able to come out. I can’t see if TMI has a bottom cover but looks like no. A D300 with 4:1 gears works because the same reason. It has a bottom cover allowing the removal of the center gear first. If that TMI can fit any lower ratios, it’s going to have to have a way to get the center gear in lastly, and out firstly for assembly.

With 2.0 and 3.0 the gears are closer together in overall diameter, so the the bigger of the two center gear’s aren’t so big in diameter that they block the holes for the front/rear output holes. on a stock 205 the center gear goes in as one of the first steps through the big window in the case. If the case halves come apart like a STAK/Hero/Phenom it might make it doable, I can’t quite tell.
The 3:1 Lomax gears will not fit inside a stock NP205 cast case. The Lomax aftermarket cast case has a larger removable cover to allow assembly with 3:1 gears. The Magnitude 205 is a two-piece case that splits near the middle and can almost be completely assembled before mating to two case bodies, making assembly and proper gear setup a breeze.

We do not have a removable bottom cover, you can see how our Magnitude 205 assembles in our assembly video if you want to see it.

You thought 205s were much larger because the OEM cases are. The cases have a bunch of weird bosses and junk that make them bigger than they need to be. The magnitude 205 shape is clearly optimized.

Atlas is 9.75" tall 17.5" wide, the Magnitude 205 is 9.39" tall 18.003" wide. The diagram I'm looking at is not clear if the atlas height dimension includes the bolt heads on the bottom cover, that could account for a little more height difference.
The Atlas out of Brett Harrell's 4456 car shown in the following photos is about an inch taller than our Magnitude 205.

IMG_5950.JPG

People saying an atlas is weaker or stronger than whatever case, are we talking the standard atlas or fully upgraded? Because last I heard, the full race case whatever cases were holding up pretty well to about everything short of 800+ hp u4 or bouncers? Obviously there are guys who can probably break one with a burnt valve 22r, but for the most part, I thought the full bling atlas was more on part with a 205?

I also agree with the 2:1 and 3:1 probably being fine for 90% of the 205 market. Either you are a rock bouncer or u4 and just the single case is enough, or you're a trail guy and will probably run a 2.7 crawl box anyway. I'd almost wonder if the 1.7 or 1.5:1 would be more of a seller than lower ratios for racing guys? :confused:

You thought 205s were much larger because the OEM cases are. The cases have a bunch of weird bosses and junk that make them bigger than they need to be. The magnitude 205 shape is clearly optimized.

Atlas is 9.75" tall 17.5" wide, the Magnitude 205 is 9.39" tall 18.003" wide. The diagram I'm looking at is not clear if the atlas height dimension includes the bolt heads on the bottom cover, that could account for a little more height difference.
The bolt heads DEFINITELY do in the pic on page 22...

Never have I placed the 205 and the 300 anywhere near each other in strength.

I’ve said the Atlas is more comparable to the 300. The 205 is significantly stronger than Atlas.
Tyler.. you make a replacement 300 case I'm fully in!! None of my remarks were directed to you... or anyone. Just a blanket statements to cover theoretical views. Also by no means telling you how to do business.
Yes ive been burned. Rube adapter was my 1st big purchase ripoff... lol so kudos for doing something about it.

Grendel is it possible move anything Magnitude related from this thread to the Magnitude page to help clean this thread. I never intended to clutter this page.

Grendel is it possible move anything Magnitude related from this thread to the Magnitude page to help clean this thread up please. I never intended to clutter this page.
Sure.
Anyone have an issue if I move their posts about Magnitude?

A place for us to discuss these cases.

I bought one, when I didn't get my case from another manufacturer.

John at JB Conversions is going to build mine for me, with all his goodies.

Will be moving Tyler's posts here, at his request.

I think I have them all. They're by date order. If I missed any, please PM me with a link.

I am looking forward to getting my case in a few weeks.

A place for us to discuss these cases.

I bought one, when I didn't get my case from another manufacturer.

John at JB Conversions is going to build mine for me, with all his goodies.

Will be moving Tyler's posts here, at his request.
Thank you!

The 300 market has really only ever needed a replacement case.. the 300 gearset is not comparable to atlas gearset strength. I've r&d this subject thoroughly lol. We've only ever had a 3.1 aftermarket 205 gearset available so I don't see why people whining for 4.1. Do toyota math then and get 1.whatever and add rangebox. Tyler I understand what your doing with the 205, kudos to you. Can't wait for a replacement case 300 for rock donkeys.
I'd say the market needs a replacement case and whatever is needed/custom to fit the the case.

Like modified rails, intermediate shafts, etc.

Give me everything I need to bolt my stock/aftermarket stuff in.

Tyler and I were talking. The intermediate shaft for his 300 case needs to be cut. I am sorry, I don't trust most people to do that right... and if it's wrong, they're going to blame the case when it blows.

So for mine I asked them to make sure all the parts work with off the shelf solutions. I want a one stop shop. Hell, send a new bearing and seal kit with it. The intermediate shaft comes in some Crown rebuild kits, which means that it's a wear item.

1718302206189.png

Thoughts?

Do I have that right?

I have a JB Customs stainless cable twin stick on my current Dana 300. He's making the brackets to fit this case, so I don't have to. I am lazy, I don't want to have to fab and test what I don't have to, when manufacturers are willing to step up and work together.

This is my mock up set.

7a3bc82f-3d7f-455b-a108-405b53a831f9.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say the market needs a replacement case and whatever is needed/custom to fit the the case.

Like modified rails, intermediate shafts, etc.

Give me everything I need to bolt my stock/aftermarket stuff in.

Tyler and I were talking. The intermediate shaft for his 300 case needs to be cut. I am sorry, I don't trust most people to do that right... and if it's wrong, they're going to blame the case when it blows.

So for mine I asked them to make sure all the parts work with off the shelf solutions. I want a one stop shop. Hell, send a new bearing and seal kit with it. The intermediate shaft comes in some Crown rebuild kits, which means that it's a wear item.

1718302206189.png

Thoughts?

Do I have that right?

I have a JB Customs stainless cable twin stick on my current Dana 300. He's making the brackets to fit this case, so I don't have to. I am lazy, I don't want to have to fab and test what I don't have to, when manufacturers are willing to step up and work together.

This is my mock up set.

7a3bc82f-3d7f-455b-a108-405b53a831f9.jpg
jb fabrications when I went from his cable shifted setup for factory Dana 300 to another Dana 300 repayment case that shall not be named he had a hardware kit to do it that was cheap. I just emailed him.

Last edited:
In fabrications when I went from his cable shifted setup for factory Dana 300 to another Dana 300 repayment case that shall not be named he had a hardware kit to do it that was cheap. I just emailed him.
JB Customs is working with Tyler to do exactly that, make new brackets. He'll have a case next week to mock up.

Cable shifters - smaller than the OEM Dana 300 case, stronger, stays in the gear you put it in.

Attachments

• d7d34ad5-f106-4716-9b97-f7683e955f9a.jpg
    d7d34ad5-f106-4716-9b97-f7683e955f9a.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 7bf6d93e-a727-4ecd-9b9f-c902db928604.jpg
    7bf6d93e-a727-4ecd-9b9f-c902db928604.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 1
I"m not a huge fan of cables for shifters, but that looks tits! Great packaging.

how do you know it stays in the gear you put it in? have you wheeled it yet?
Yep, wheeled it around my farm :flipoff2:. It replaced a twin stick D300 that would pop out of gear, to the point: I had a turn buckle on the firewall to hold the stick when I could not push it in.

The Jeep is now completely restomodded.

Last edited:
I just sent someone this thread. He’s killed 2 atlas full bling race cases in his bomber car. I mentioned a 205 and he said it won’t fit. The magnitude case solves that issue.

When did he break that? Maybe should learn to let of the gas some. :flipoff2: Seen a few folks break like that but it was landing on all 4 while still on the throttle.

I've been trying to email JB conversion for a setup kit and not getting any response. It's taking like a 1-1.5 weeks to get a reply. :shaking:

Top Back Refresh