What's new

Mad Max days are here, the killing off of V8’s

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Whoda thunk we’d ever see the end of the V8 engines in our auto industry? Ford is still producing them until I guess the government commie EPA stands on their neck over it.

I’m so glad I’m as old as I am to have been around during our nations better years.

I remember in the 80s or 90s GM said no more big blocks except industrial engines. Since then we've seen the 8.1 vortec and other large displacement race engines from GM, and the V10 from Ford and whatever Chrysler had in the viper. With the abundance of fossil fuels I don't think the era of ICEs is nearing the end. I've been wrong before though. :flipoff2:

R

Seriously I l covered this in 2021.

It would be nice if RAM could come up with a 5.7 V8 that makes more that 13 MPG in city driving EMPTY. 10 towing a 6x8 trailer on the highway. 4.7 was even worse

Love the way it pulls and handles but hate filling it up.

Bring on some innovation!

displacement requires fuel. as the epa turns the screws on cafe standards there's no option but smaller engines.

until rational people get back in power

Power output requires fuel input. Theres been no breakthrough in efficiency. Manufactures are seeming to notice that most users rarely require max output so they can loaf along with a small boosted to hell Engine.

A 300 hp V6 uses “just” as much fuel as a 300 hp V8 except during light loads.

Power output requires fuel input. Theres been no breakthrough in efficiency. Manufactures are seeming to notice that most users rarely require max output so they can loaf along with a small boosted to hell Engine.

Somewhere else I was on an incoherent rant about how not every pickup needs to have 300hp to haul a couple of sheets of Sheetrock. I can’t remember what a few of my 5.2L turbod 4 cylinder Isuzu nrr/npr trucks have for hp but they get decent mpg even with 21000 pound gross. Around 14,000-15,000 they still did better on mpg than my 5.7 when it was empty

Exactly. I own an eco boost (2019 screw 2.7/10 speed, 4x4/3.55 gears). It was a left over with 3 miles on it when I bought in April 2020.

When just cruising it gets good mileage (18 in town 20+ highway hand calculated). Pulling a trailer it drops off depending on how hard I push it/type of trailer/elevation changes. It does what I ask and does complain.

Do I want a v8. Sure. But at the time the 5.0 was having issues with burning oil which I wanted no part of. GM with their dod/afm issues and Ram with their rocker issues (already went through that with my Wife’s pentstar (use at least 10w/30 so far so good)).

Another thing the companies could do is perfect their stuff before letting the public beta test everything for them (I’m also looking at Microsoft when I type this).

Iike the idea of a twin I6. Don't they run that engine in Mexico right now? Not sure about replacing V8 but it's a better option the a 3.6 V6 I'd think.

Look how most people drive these trucks. Other than maybe some dude who's leaving the stop light with urgency light loads are 99% of what these vehicles see.

It's surprising the small displacement engines don't get better fuel economy.

Top Back Refresh