What's new

Machine i.e. mill, drill press, lathe etc lighting. What do you use?

Landslide

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Besides paying stupid money for an old light fixture for shop machines, what is recommended to use with the following features. Flexible arm, lamp shade with 90* window or opening, 110v and not some cheap crap plastic Walmart light.

What do you use or recommend?

Ummm
Whatever you need to be able to get the expected results?

Myself...
2- 8' fluorescents overhead. And some task lamp.

I have a fuckton of lighting in my machine shop so no need for machine specific lighting anymore but before that I'd get yard sale or thrift store flexy arm lamps, take the base apart and use the bulkhead fitting that's inevitably in there to bolt them to a bracket bolted to the machine.

Search machine work light on amazon and there are many options, including some that look like updated LED versions of the old school machine lights.

I have one of these that I clipped to the chip guard on my mill. Works great to get right in on top of the work when I need to really see a detail
1701118537700.png

I also got one of these to cobble fab into a spindle lamp on my mini mill. That's way down the long list of projects I haven't gotten to still.

71187hVX+5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's bright enough in my shop that I don't need extra light. I did upgrade the lights inside the mill to what Haas currently uses. I almost need sun glasses.

I find myself wearing a rechargeable Petzl headlamp a lot of the times, that way the light goes to whatever I am working on; not just the machines.

However I go to the thrift store and look for cheap flexible neck lamps. I then adapt them to welding magnets and put them wherever I want. They are cheaper and brighter than the LED ones, and usually the flexible neck is longer.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 8.59.24 AM.png

I grab these lights when I see them at garage sales or Goodwill.

They are easy to mount wherever and you can move them around as needed.

You can usually get them for a couple bucks, so when one gets all twisted up and bent, you recycle it and put on another one.

This is what I use too. I think they're called sewing machine lights.
I bought 10 of those a while back. Bridgeport, Ellis, drill presses, bandsaw, bench grinders etc. One died a quick death but for $8 each, they can't be beat!

Ive got a LED ring light that is magnetic and fits perfectly on the end of the quill of my Bridgeport. its never in the way and a ton of direct light on the work piece.

sort of like this but not this actual one

I've got a 4 foot shop light sitting right overtop
The older I get the more light I need, so I’d be in at around 6 48” lights at each machine :flipoff2:

I have some light fixtures but looking for something that I can bring in on something and move it out of the way easily when needed.

Just curious what other people are using

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 8.59.24 AM.png

I grab these lights when I see them at garage sales or Goodwill.

They are easy to mount wherever and you can move them around as needed.

You can usually get them for a couple bucks, so when one gets all twisted up and bent, you recycle it and put on another one.
I got one on my basement shop drill press I’ve had since the 70’s or 80’s.

Ive got a LED ring light that is magnetic and fits perfectly on the end of the quill of my Bridgeport. its never in the way and a ton of direct light on the work piece.

sort of like this but not this actual one

Ok now that’s really nice.

Just saw this thread and its funny timing because I just bought a ring light today for my Bridgeport on ebay on the recommendation of a friend who runs a machine shop and linked me to the one he uses at his home shop - MILLING MACHINE RING LED RING LIGHT KNEE MILL BRIDGEPORT MAGNETIC | eBay edit: looks like the same one on Amazon linked above but cheaper

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh