What's new

M24 x 1.5 threaded tube ends?

realsquash

Member Number
Loc
Southern Wisconsin
I've done a WJ knuckle swap on my XJ's d30hp and it's becoming obvious that I need to use some offset tie rod ends and drag link ends such as what the WJ has stock and I'd like to run straight tubes. I want to get some 7075 and thread them on the lathe, but I can't do metric thread pitches on it. A good LH M24 x 1.5 tap is a zillion bucks, so that's out. Maybe a Chicom special for $45 would do a good job, but I have serious doubts.

The other option is steel tube with weld-on ends, but I can't find any for these TREs. I can machine these myself on my VMC and threadmill the M24's (have single-point style tool for this), but the machine is busy for a while and I don't want to tear down the setup on it to do a couple of these things.

Anyone ever seen a weld end like this? Or want to rent me your tap (lol)? Are there other TREs with the S-shaped offset that don't break the bank? The GM 1-ton offset joints won't work without brodozer-level wheel spacers.

Other than the taps that come in those bottom dollar kits you buy at the big box store wearing down quickly if used in hard steels the only people who have issues with garbage taps are the ones who can't read a tap and drill chart so as long as you're literate you should be fine.

Maybe not a help, I just had to redo the TRE on my Massey Ferguson tractor and they are M24x1.5. This is from a 1970’s tractor so maybe not much luck in finding a junkyard tie rod to cut up. Both ends were right hand thread.

I ordered a Chinese left handed tap and I'll test it on a scrap when it shows up. When I was looking for a LH thread nut I discovered some John Deere tractors used them, too.

Chicom tap will work fine, use some good fluid, I have great luck with "Alumatap" brand fluid

Hey Moe! I machine 6061 every day so I've got a bunch of Tap Magic for aluminum. I love using that stuff, it works great and smells like cinnamon. WD40 works well on Al, too. So does Trim Sol E206, but that won't work on the old lathe :)

Hey Moe! I machine 6061 every day so I've got a bunch of Tap Magic for aluminum. I love using that stuff, it works great and smells like cinnamon. WD40 works well on Al, too. So does Trim Sol E206, but that won't work on the old lathe :)

Hey !! that is the only drawback with alumatap is the stink , and the dorsal fin that you sprout on your head after long term usage.:homer:

PS , Those MOG portals go very nice , I put over 2500 miles on them last summer , working on caging it up now so i can actually wheel the thing

Hey !! that is the only drawback with alumatap is the stink , and the dorsal fin that you sprout on your head after long term usage.:homer:

PS , Those MOG portals go very nice , I put over 2500 miles on them last summer , working on caging it up now so i can actually wheel the thing

They were in prime shape, that's why I bought them :( But I'm glad to see you put them to good use. I already have the fin soooooo..... Got both taps and splurged on a big drill bit. Should have it done this weekend.

Well I threaded the 7075 tierod last night. I bought an OSG tap for the RH threads - cut like butter. The Chicom LH tap ended up making good threads, but it took almost an hour to make 2.5" worth of threads. It would rub so bad inside the already-cut threads that I had to actually cool the aluminum with air to keep it manageable. In and out about 15 times to get it done. I saved $100 doing it this way, but man I almost regretted it. I had to do the draglink now and I'm dreading that.

Top Back Refresh