What's new

Lunchboxes?

Is the torq as good as it looks? Price seems pretty fair and it is simpler. I am looking at a Dana 60 /14 bolt purchase of torq lockers to run some 40" or so tires. Reasonable HP and 4500 LBS. or so curb weight.

Is the torq as good as it looks? Price seems pretty fair and it is simpler. I am looking at a Dana 60 /14 bolt purchase of torq lockers to run some 40" or so tires. Reasonable HP and 4500 LBS. or so curb weight.
I’d run one in the 60 front but I’d weld the rear

I’d run one in the 60 front but I’d weld the rear
I am not sure I want to weld the rear. I have done that before and it didn't work so well for what I do. Wonderful off road though.....

I am not sure I want to weld the rear. I have done that before and it didn't work so well for what I do. Wonderful off road though.....
Lunchbox lockers in the rear with manual trans on the street fucking suck balls. They unload and lock at all the wrong times. It was garbage, moved it to the front and put a trutrac in the back problem solved.

I'd rather have a welded rear than a lunch box too in a manual.

From what I've read with an automatic not nearly as noticeable in the rear when going around corners and letting off the gas at slow speeds.

Lunchbox lockers in the rear with manual trans on the street fucking suck balls. They unload and lock at all the wrong times. It was garbage, moved it to the front and put a trutrac in the back problem solved.

I'd rather have a welded rear than a lunch box too in a manual.

From what I've read with an automatic not nearly as noticeable in the rear when going around corners and letting off the gas at slow speeds.
I don’t know, I’ve tried both manual and auto with lok-rites in the rear. Hated them both. I’ve also had ARB’s front and rear. My favorite little rig is a manual spooled in the rear and has a lok-rite in front. I drive it on pavement all the time no complaints.

14b grizzly is cheap enough.

I think that there are too many factors to just say "lunchboxes suck in the rear" light short rigs are going to be way worse than heavy, longer rigs. Funny enough, the only lunch box rear I've driven was a stock drivetrain samurai, and the little I drove on pavement and ice, it wasn't noticeable at all. Being well worn may have been a factor.

Also, if it's something that you drive a few miles to connect to a dirt road on the weekends. I don't think you'll care. Daily driving any auto rear locker kinda sucks.

14b grizzly is cheap enough.

I think that there are too many factors to just say "lunchboxes suck in the rear" light short rigs are going to be way worse than heavy, longer rigs. Funny enough, the only lunch box rear I've driven was a stock drivetrain samurai, and the little I drove on pavement and ice, it wasn't noticeable at all. Being well worn may have been a factor.

Also, if it's something that you drive a few miles to connect to a dirt road on the weekends. I don't think you'll care. Daily driving any auto rear locker kinda sucks.

Okay yep short wheel base 100" scout II wide ratio trans. Hated it sucks balls would never do it again. (was a lock right)

Was fantastic in the front.

If you drive it every day you get used to it. 99% of rigs with a lunchbox rear are 2nd cars so people get in their weekend to to go buy groceries and are like "man this sucks compared to my Accord".

Guess I'm not man enough!
yeah, pretty much.

If you drive it every day you get used to it. 99% of rigs with a lunchbox rear are 2nd cars so people get in their weekend to to go buy groceries and are like "man this sucks compared to my Accord".

yeah, pretty much.

Thats a fair point also. I wasn't a fan of the Detroit in my 4runner years ago, but I did get used to it after a bit.

Rear Spartan here on my stick shift Tacoma that I drive to the trails, and it sucked for the first week and then I got used to it. In all fairness the truck is like a mile long. I would rock one again. The same truck has a front Aussie as well, I like the setup!

Last edited:
funny. i've been doing exactly that for 10+ years and it doesnt phase me one bit.
I've had Lock Rights in the D30 front and D44 rear in my CJ-5 with a T18-A since about 1995ish, and it's been fine. It has 33's. If I really get on it trying to power shift (Yeah right with a stock 258) it can shift a little to the side on the highway. It is an off road rig so I don't worry about that too much. I had a Lock Right in the D35 of my XJ and it was fine on the road too with 33's.

I also recently installed a Lock Right in the D70 rear of my W250 CTD and haven't had any issues with it's drivability on the road. It's got less than 500 miles on it so far, so not much road time on it. Running 285-75-16's on it.

SPOOL

That is all.

/thread

Seriously, I'm a fan, at least on a light rig, in the rear. As I've rode sport quads for decades I like the predictable way that a spool works. When you have a light rig, a little scrubbing and a slight understeer is the only real disadvantages and they are manageable. In a heavy rig I'm sure that there would be more issues with this setup. I've ran rear spool/front lunchbox for 7-8 years and have had very few driving issues on or off road with it.

Seriously, I'm a fan, at least on a light rig, in the rear. As I've rode sport quads for decades I like the predictable way that a spool works. When you have a light rig, a little scrubbing and a slight understeer is the only real disadvantages and they are manageable. In a heavy rig I'm sure that there would be more issues with this setup. I've ran rear spool/front lunchbox for 7-8 years and have had very few driving issues on or off road with it.
My Suburban is spooled in the rear right now and it will skip, hop and buck sometimes. Had a Grand Cherokee that was welded that would only skip a little sometimes. It makes sense that an even lighter rig would handle better with a spool.

Reading this thread got me looking. The torq would be my choice. I really like there gm 14 bolt unit. It retains the stock side gears. Ive found that LBLs designed to work like this, with a two piece carrier, are by far the best. I think ill keep my eye out for a 14b just for this locker. I had one like this in a yota v6 carrier and it claimed a few R/Ps. Street driving/drifting and a DD.

I ran a Spartan in a D30 for 8 years. Never an issue. Only removed because I put a different axle in with a selectable. I prefer the selectable, but the Spartan was bullet proof for me.

Reading this thread got me looking. The torq would be my choice. I really like there gm 14 bolt unit. It retains the stock side gears. Ive found that LBLs designed to work like this, with a two piece carrier, are by far the best. I think ill keep my eye out for a 14b just for this locker. I had one like this in a yota v6 carrier and it claimed a few R/Ps. Street driving/drifting and a DD.

The Toyota V6 Spartan uses the factory side gears as well which surprised me. I'm putting one in the front of my truck and I'm sure it'll be stronger than any of the other components :laughing:

The Toyota V6 Spartan uses the factory side gears as well which surprised me. I'm putting one in the front of my truck and I'm sure it'll be stronger than any of the other components :laughing:

Pretty common with 4 spider type carriers. Suzuki stuff is the same way.

Those V6 side gears are pretty weak, hopefully you aren't planning anything to hardcore. :laughing:

Pretty common with 4 spider type carriers. Suzuki stuff is the same way.

Those V6 side gears are pretty weak, hopefully you aren't planning anything to hardcore. :laughing:
hmmm damn, I figured it'd be stronger than the 4cyl lockrite from 2003 :homer:

I guess worst case I paid $250 for a Lincoln locker kit :flipoff2:

my tires measure 35" and it's a 22r on propane so hopefully it can hang in the front with RCVs

hmmm damn, I figured it'd be stronger than the 4cyl lockrite from 2003 :homer:

I guess worst case I paid $250 for a Lincoln locker kit :flipoff2:

my tires measure 35" and it's a 22r on propane so hopefully it can hang in the front with RCVs

You should be fine. Maybe, I broke 1 in the rear on 35s, but never broke a front.

Thread is worthless without pics:flipoff2:
48407586-6137-409A-8CFC-8B5845CE14B0.jpeg

My old truck had a 3rz, duals, v6 third w/ lunch box, 38s and 488s. It survived a hard life of clutch kicking doughnuts in 2 low, crawling shit, and daily driving. I sheered teeth off the ring gear and still drove it home. I'm sure it will be fine. I new a gear guy who said factory side gears are stronger than anythjng else. I eventually put that v6 carrier and locker into a high pinion case. It had wear beyond its spec limit so I shimmed it up and sent it.

My old truck had a 3rz, duals, v6 third w/ lunch box, 38s and 488s. It survived a hard life of clutch kicking doughnuts in 2 low, crawling shit, and daily driving. I sheered teeth off the ring gear and still drove it home. I'm sure it will be fine. I new a gear guy who said factory side gears are stronger than anythjng else. I eventually put that v6 carrier and locker into a high pinion case. It had wear beyond its spec limit so I shimmed it up and sent it.

They v6 side gears specifically are super thin and then have a relief that make them even worse. They are definitely not stronger than other options. Some guys have broken them on the street, mine lasted a while. There may be other factors

Those V6 lunch box lockers are weaker than the 4 cylinder models. I killed one in a few months.

They v6 side gears specifically are super thin and then have a relief that make them even worse. They are definitely not stronger than other options. Some guys have broken them on the street, mine lasted a while. There may be other factors

Those V6 lunch box lockers are weaker than the 4 cylinder models. I killed one in a few months.

Well, shit

If I had known up front I would have ordered an Aussie or similar that replaces the side gears as well lol. Live and learn.

The 4cyl third I pulled from 03 was going strong and never technically "broke" but the the pinion was beginning to walk on the carrier. I assume the lock Rite stopped unlocking because it's full of shavings. There was a golf ball sized chunk of shavings/shards in the fluid I drained. I don't see anything broken but I haven't torn it down yet. I was planning to replace all the bearings and install a solid pinion spacer but for time/sanity reasons I thought I was doing myself a favor having a spare V6 third with Spartan built so I could get back on dirt quicker and have time to rebuild the 4cyl as a spare.

Are the side gears what usually fail in the elocker carrier as well?

Last edited:
Well that is new info to me. But I can still say it was certainly strong enough. The v6 third has a beefier case and bearings. And the 4 spider design makes the LB work smoother. The only problem I ever had with v6 carriers is the tendency to spin bears. Many ive opened up had a spun ring gear side bearing. I just punched a million dents into in and pressed em back on with green locktite bearing retainer. I guess a guy could slap a 4cyl carrier into a v6 housing. But that's just weird.

Well, shit

If I had known up front I would have ordered an Aussie or similar that replaces the side gears as well lol. Live and learn.

The 4cyl third I pulled from 03 was going strong and never technically "broke" but the the pinion was beginning to walk on the carrier. I assume the lock Rite stopped unlocking because it's full of shavings. There was a golf ball sized chunk of shavings/shards in the fluid I drained. I don't see anything broken but I haven't torn it down yet. I was planning to replace all the bearings and install a solid pinion spacer but for time/sanity reasons I thought I was doing myself a favor having a spare V6 third with Spartan built so I could get back on dirt quicker and have time to rebuild the 4cyl as a spare.

Are the side gears what usually fail in the elocker carrier as well?

Yes, it's the exact same side gear, that's actually the one I broke.

Well that is new info to me. But I can still say it was certainly strong enough. The v6 third has a beefier case and bearings. And the 4 spider design makes the LB work smoother. The only problem I ever had with v6 carriers is the tendency to spin bears. Many ive opened up had a spun ring gear side bearing. I just punched a million dents into in and pressed em back on with green locktite bearing retainer. I guess a guy could slap a 4cyl carrier into a v6 housing. But that's just weird.

When I had my front V6 3rd built, the carrier bearings were spun, I grabbed another 3rd and they were spun also. Guess it's common :laughing:

Top Back Refresh