What's new

Lumber prices WTF?

I do pretty much just residential new construction electric and the gc needs a hard number before construction and I’m currently wiring homes that were bid out last fall.. there’s no way I’d eat the cost of wire right now, I sent new proposals for all jobs. It’s not really up for negotiation, accept the price or get fucked. So far everyone is awake to the reality that wire is up almost 200%. I’m sure it helps that home values are climbing as high as commodities.

Fullsize80cherokee or other sparkies.... when you say up 200% when is that compared to? I got a bid for the house we are building back in march of 2020. Just got the bill today and it mentions "wire trippled due to covid 19". I haven't seen 300% on wire anywhere but I may not be as close to it as some. There was no mention of this prior to the work starting so looking for any hard costs comparisons

Fullsize80cherokee or other sparkies.... when you say up 200% when is that compared to? I got a bid for the house we are building back in march of 2020. Just got the bill today and it mentions "wire trippled due to covid 19". I haven't seen 300% on wire anywhere but I may not be as close to it as some. There was no mention of this prior to the work starting so looking for any hard costs comparisons
i really only keep score of 12 so I can’t speak for 14 gauge but a 250 spool of 12/2 romex was ~55 bucks this time last year, now it’s $160... everything residential electrical is hard to get it seems so I’m sure the price also reflects that. Also the jurisdictions I work in adopted 2020 Nec rather than keeping 2017 which adds a few thousand to a bid because more gfi breakers throughout the house for shit like a dryer, range, electric vehicle.

55–> 160. Ok that seems like 300%. We were technically a remodel (1 wall) so no new code.
Wish I got an updated number before work started but if that’s what it costs for raw materials, is what it is

Heh. Still less than the lumber increases. Shit time to build but probably better than next year still

14/2 is the same went from $30-$120. Boxes have gone up, pvc has gone up, plumbing valves/ fittings have gone up. Anything copper based has gone crazy, even pex has gone up and fittings havet been a bit of a bitch to find. Only thing that doesn't seem to have gone up more than 25% or more is drywall/flooring.

As a small GC bidding things a year ago is killing me..... My clients understand, but some of these projects are budget stretchers for them.

Commercial EC Referencing commodity quote sheets-

12/2 Romex on 3/9/20 = $240.97/1000'
12/2 Romex on 3/8/21 = $466.03/1000'
12/2 Romex on 7/6/21 = $758.20/1000'

You should have pulled the trigger in March 2020 :lmao:

I working on updating a project proposal from 4/21 right now. Looks like my commodity materials are up over $400,000. Just in the last 3 months.

20210710_124638.jpg
20210710_124628.jpg

Wtf is right

Finally seeing prices drop down.

$6.48 versus the $8.37 a month agao 2x4x8 studs at home depot

Was at Lowes today and prices have dropped here too, did not expect treated to be half the price and cheaper than non-treated :confused:

7/13
2x4x8 : 7.74
Treated : 5.98

On 6/3
2x4x8 : 8.38
Treated : 10.98

I know exactly what you mean... I'm pricing stuff to include substantial increases for the next year. Problem is that I'm still getting projects. Obviously my prices aren't high enough...
I have had a hard time balancing pricing lately. Bidding things at our normal prices I have way more work than we can handle, I have people I can’t even call back and am losing jobs I’d like to do but just can’t get to. When I raise prices 15% to throttle things back a bit, I don’t hear back. These are mostly jobs under $10k, and I’m strictly referral based, so people aren’t bid shopping.

2x4s are down into the $6 range for non-shitwood here at Lowes, were 8+ last I checked months ago. Cedar fence boards are about to crest $4 a piece though, seriously trying to round up good used at this point to fix the rotten ones I've got.

They ran out of placed to store it
Yup, shits stacked in the parking lot at the local Home Depot. I hope they choke on the bunks! I was looking at treated 2x4s last week and the guy that works that section asked if I needed help? I told him I’m not buying shit until the prices return to earth.😜

I know the main Home Depot in my city is a central distributor and all for the other Home Depot's but I have never seen them fill the contractor / lumber side parking under the roof up before with lumber. You can't park there right now, can only walk around the lumber to get in.

And the place is a ghost town at 8:30 PM on. Feels weird to be able to walk in and workers standing around asking you on every corner if you need any help.

In Wa state, bought 2 2x4x10's this am, 21 bucks. Cheap 2x4x8's are 6.15 ea

Dammit! I have a deck to rebuild this summer, prices were heading back down and now the forest fires are pushing futures up again.:mad3:

Dammit! I have a deck to rebuild this summer, prices were heading back down and now the forest fires are pushing futures up again.:mad3:
Just heard on the news that Canfor is going into curtailments again pretty quick and others are considering doing the same. Gotta keep the record prices up somehow.:mad3:

Any builders got a rough idea on how many 2x4s in a 1700sqft block house?

I'd like to build in the future, wouldn't mind a stockpile at the bottom....

Just heard on the news that Canfor is going into curtailments again pretty quick and others are considering doing the same. Gotta keep the record prices up somehow.:mad3:
Just a saw a uneducated economist video saying that. He said, they are wanting to have it around 600 per thousand.

Top Back Refresh