What's new

Low budget, low skill zj build.

Here's the forward clutch pack. I burnt this up last trip. The manual says clearance spec is .030-.050. I have .027 currently. You guys think this will be fine or should I have the pressure plate milled down ~.005?
20240106_124735.jpg

Last edited:
Man these ZJs are fun. I picked one up for $150 and it was a blast to beat on. Always wanted to do another budget build.

I'd be hesitant to do 1 tons on this. I've had a 1 ton 4 door suv and unless you don't care about body or windows at all, your capabilities with big tires and 1 tons are kinda wasted. You also go from $600 used tires, to $600 ea tires, then you'll most likely need lower tcase gears of some type, ect.

Throw the 8.8 in, and a few upgrades at the hp30, run 35s and have a blast.

Also keep an eye out for used built D30s. The nice thing about them is they seem to go cheap. Like arb, rcv's gears, ect and they're only asking $700

I'm not too concerned about the body on it. I treat zjs as throw away jeeps because you can find them so cheap. Kinda like the xj used to be. I'm starting on small axles this year but I'm really getting sick of fixing them.

I'm not too concerned about the body on it. I treat zjs as throw away jeeps because you can find them so cheap. Kinda like the xj used to be. I'm starting on small axles this year but I'm really getting sick of fixing them.

Just use whatever parts those XJs use in the busted knuckle videos :laughing:

I mean I get not dropping $1000s on little axles. I just think a rig like that is a lot more fun on 35s than 42s and 1 tons, but I get it. I currently have both :homer:

My samurai will always be a smaller tire rig. Even with this one I think 38s will be plenty. But I still have all year on chromos with 33s. I might have a change of heart

H
Here's the forward clutch pack. I urnt this up last trip. The manual says clearance spec is .030-.050. I have .027 currently. You guys think this will be fine or should I have the pressure plate milled down ~.005?
20240106_124735.jpg

I’d probably run it.

I’m sure that’s what the guy on the assembly line would probably say on a Friday at the end of the day too.

Well it's Saturday and I'm drunk so run it I will. I figure the way I drive ill burn that .003 off real quick.

I love these types of budget builds, best wheeling I ever did was in a half rotten $300 xj with a welded 8.8, bastard leafs in the rear comp cut to shit with a 2 different pairs of 35’s. Miss those days.

I love these types of budget builds, best wheeling I ever did was in a half rotten $300 xj with a welded 8.8, bastard leafs in the rear comp cut to shit with a 2 different pairs of 35’s. Miss those days.
Those days are only a $1000 beater and a tetanus shot away. Bring it back for the highlight reels

Those days are only a $1000 beater and a tetanus shot away. Bring it back for the highlight reels
Unfortunately with the price of scrap and people parting everything out the days of driveable $1000 beaters are over. Rotten xj’s with broken unibodys sell for 2k plus if they run.
Got my eye on a cheap liberty tho so that might happen

Scrap isn't actually worth that much. Parting shit out only makes "money" because

a) people are liars and between selling a few parts and scrapping the vehicle are making a hair more than the cost of the vehicle.

b) you idiots are paying way too much for parts.

Yeah, I do miss the $500 running beaters. I miss affordable classic barn finds too. And new trucks under 80k... this is some real bulls***

Oh for sure, I am in canada so its even worse. Getting specialized parts sucks add 35% exchange rate plus duty and customs fees

Back to my pile of shit:
20240107_162904.jpg

I found the accumulator spring broken too. That might be getting to the root of why my forward clutch didn't forward clutch anymore.

It's a cheap mistake to make. I support you in this.

And that leads to tons and welded difs!

Yeah, I do miss the $500 running beaters. I miss affordable classic barn finds too. And new trucks under 80k... this is some real bulls***
I picked up my mostly running XJ for $850 in 2020

I’ll say it’s not common for sure, but one thing to factor in is damn apps and FBM has made it so damn easy to reach people and sell shit so the deals come and go fast. I’m an addict so I scour that shit daily. Gotta have cash on hand with a trailer ready to go same day pretty much.

You watch those videos? I'd bet you'd not be following those guys up those hills with 1 tons and 40s. :laughing:
How are these guys worthy of admiration and rockbouncers inbred retards that can't drive ?

Screenshot_20240224_123640_Facebook.jpg

Finally got the race schedule. Transmission is done and back in. Need to fix the rusted exhaust and do a better job of cleaning metal out of the rear axle, but other than that the jeep is good to go. The only other thing I need is 2 helmates and 2 neck restraints. From what I see, I'll have more in that than I have in my jeep.

The jeep is as ready as its going to get before this season kicks off.
Exhaust is "done". I'm not redoing the over axle section until I know how the rear long arm brackets are going to sit.
20240329_150102.jpg

20240402_110429.jpg

I cleaned out all of the dirt and metal from the front diff and replaced the axle seals since they were trashed from breaking shafts. In the rear axle, I put new chromo shafts ( waste of money) and replaced my beer case gasket with something a little more conventional.
20240322_123659.jpg

test drove the transmission about 200 miles. Jeep drive like total shit but it shifts great.

I'm headed to Rush for a season shake down run on Monday if anyone is free.

Made it through 98 miles off road at rush with no major issues. That park is super rutted right now and being locked f&r and on 33 boggers, I could still only make it out of the parking lot on one trail. I thought that was wild. I need deeper gears next I think.. and the front axle was clunking an awful lot, so I guess the cover is coming back off. All in all, a very successful trip.

The transfer case kept kicking out of 4 low. I think I found the issue. Lucky for me, the local junk yard had 2 cases for 85 each. So I snagged em both.
20240413_003201.jpg

Snapchat-1402871683.jpg

Also, when washing it off I found a little lower control arm damage.
Snapchat-1766718294.jpg

What’s the damage to the lower control arm? all I’m seeing is some missing paint. The bracket looks like it was bent from the factory to me.

What’s the damage to the lower control arm? all I’m seeing is some missing paint. The bracket looks like it was bent from the factory to me.
That bracket should be straight. I have ruff stuff brackets to weld on. Hopefully soon! My first race is not too far out.

Top Back Refresh