What's new

Local rancher shoots dog, public outrage ensues

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/loca...ty Sheriff is,animal was harassing his cattle.
While California law allows a livestock owner to shoot a dog or other animal if it is endangering his property, the dog’s owner, Beau Bjorkman, argued on a Facebook post that that the rancher overreacted. He sought animal cruelty charges against the rancher, who is not being named by the sheriff’s office.

The sheriff’s office initially agreed, but Thursday reversed course and filed against Bjorkman after the rancher pressed for the trespassing count, because Bjorkman entered a locked gate. The rancher is also complaining to deputies that he is being demonized on social media for protecting his cattle.

It began near the 7000 block of East Copper Avenue, where Bjorkman admits he entered a locked gate since he knew the code, to let his dogs run. About 15 minutes later, he said the rancher drove up and expressed concern the animals were chasing his cows. Bjorkman said that he agreed to leave, but the rancher drove about 20 feet forward, pulled out a deer rifle, and shot the dog, then warning he would do the same to the other dog.

Sheriff’s spokesman Tony Botti said that there are calves on the property, heightening concerns that cattle frightened by Bjorkman’s dogs could trample the young animals. He said Bjorkman gained access to the property because of a former job, where he learned the combination.

Guy is trespassing with dogs off leash, one takes off after cattle, dog is dispatched, Facebook keyboard warriors are making rancher's life a living hell.

https://abc30.com/fcso-explains-circumstances-that-led-to-rancher-shooting-mans-dog/8477616/
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Sheriff's Office is shedding some light on a dispute that led to a rancher shooting and killing a man's dog on his Fresno County property on Wednesday.

The dog's death has led to a flood of criticism and some threats directed at the man who pulled the trigger.

According to Tony Botti with FCSO, deputies got a call at about 10:30 in the morning on Wednesday from a man who reported that one of his French Bulldogs had been shot and killed by a rancher on E. Copper Ave., north of Clovis. The man was reportedly taking his dogs for a morning walk and ended up on the rancher's property.

"He got onto some property that he should not have been on, it was trespassing," Botti said. "In fact, he used a combination that he had prior knowledge of to unlock a gate and get on there."

Through their investigation, FCSO learned that the rancher approached the man and asked him to leave his property, fearful that the dogs (which were off their leashes) could frighten his cattle. The rancher told the man he may have to shoot the dogs.
"A short time later, something transpired to where the rancher felt that the dogs were creating a hazard to his cattle, so he did pull out a rifle and shot and killed one of the dogs," Botti said. "He fully admitted that he was trespassing, he had no right to be there. And he initially claimed that he worked for a company who had access to that property, and that's the reason he was up there was doing some work. We called that company and found out that this man actually no longer works for that company."

In a social media post that has since been deleted, the owner of the dogs shared his side of the story, saying he was complying with the rancher's orders when his dog was shot and went on to ask for justice for the animal.

That post led to heavy backlash and threats against the rancher, according to the sheriff's office.

"You know, it's really unfortunate to see the way this is playing out... It's really the ugly side of the internet, that instead of taking some personal accountability, you have this man who's inciting hate with the rest of the people in the community and they don't have a full context of what happened," Botti said. "So we really urge people to not believe everything they see on the internet."

A report given to the District Attorney for review will include a charge against the dog owner for trespassing. FCSO says they are taking a report from the rancher on Thursday due to the number of threats and harassing statements he has received in the wake of the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/FresnoSheriff/photos/a.588480594606944/3647583635363276/?type=3
Some of you may be aware of some emotionally charged statements and even threats being made online toward a Fresno County cattle rancher due to a dog being shot to death. We would like to lay out the facts as to what took place so that it provides context to accusations being made.

Just before 10:30 am on Wednesday, the Fresno County Sheriff's Office received a report from a man that his dog had been shot and killed. A deputy responded and met with the man who said he had taken his two French Bulldogs for a walk on some private property located off of Copper Ave. in Clovis. Both dogs were not on a leash. The rancher, who owns the property, drove up and questioned the man as to why he was on his land. Additionally, he told him that he has cows and calves in the pasture and if his dogs disturb them he may have to shoot them. The man did not make a strong effort to call his one dog back that was roaming in the field. The rancher drove a short distance and saw the dog chasing after his herd of cattle. The rancher took his rifle out of his vehicle and fired one shot, striking and killing the dog. Under the law, a livestock owner has the right to use lethal force to protect their animals from hazards such as dogs, coyotes, etc.

The property has several no trespassing signs posted, as well as a gate with a padlock. During the investigation, it came to light that the dog owner had told the rancher he works for a company that utilizes the land, so he knew the combination to unlock the gate. The rancher called the company to confirm his story and the company said the man no longer worked for him, so he had no business being on the land. A deputy later contacted the company and confirmed this to be true.

This case will now be submitted to Fresno County District Attorney's Office for review. The dog owner is facing a misdemeanor charge of trespassing.

It is important to note that had this man not trespassed, his dog would still be alive. Due to social media shaming, the cattle rancher is now being harassed and receiving numerous threats. This is not fair to this man, however, it is somewhat understandable because only half the story was posted for the public to read. Our department is now putting together a report to document all of these threats.

The argument that the dogs are small and posed no threat is baseless. Any animal can create a hazardous situation. A cow being chased can easily fall and break a leg or trample a calf to death as it tries to run away. The rancher was justified in protecting his livestock on HIS property.

Rancher will not be charged with anything. Fuckhead liberal shitstain should've not trespassed with his dog. Too bad fuckstain didn't take the bullet instead of the dog.

Shot a lot of dogs harassing cattle. Sucks but it's part of having livestock.

Rancher will not be charged with anything. Fuckhead liberal shitstain should've not trespassed with his dog. Too bad fuckstain didn't take the bullet instead of the dog.

Shot a lot of dogs harassing cattle. Sucks but it's part of having livestock.

Sheriff issued a statement saying that rancher will not be charged and the DA will not pursue. Dog owner is being charged.

Locals are now spinning conspiracy theories that rancher knows the sheriff, yet these people spinning this dont even know our sheriff is a woman. :shaking:

What the hell is the dude thinking trespassing, going through locked gates with dogs off leash and continues fuck head behavior even after being warned. Generally don't think you should kill other people's pets, hopefully dog passed fast with little discomfort. Tresspasser put everyone in a shity situation by being a shit stain.

What the hell is the dude thinking trespassing, going through locked gates with dogs off leash and continues fuck head behavior even after being warned. Generally don't think you should kill other people's pets, hopefully dog passed fast with little discomfort. Tresspasser put everyone in a shity situation by being a shit stain.

Using a gate code he knew from previous employment...

French bulldogs are exactly what I expect somebody named beau bjorkman to own. I'm with the farmer. Dont do dumb shit somewhere you don't belong.

His side of the story.
As you all know... I am always outdoors with my family and our dogs. Today I took Lola and Lily out to a place that we have been many times before. It was in the East side of Copper Ave. I have done construction out there and used the gate code. I let the dogs out to run around. I was out there for approximately 15 minutes before a Silver Dodge crew cab with a Black flatbed owned by KENNTH BEHLING drove up to us. He reminded me that I was on private property. He expressed his concerns about dogs chasing cows, I told him we have a couple hundred acre ranch right above him, where we also run cattle. I told him I would leave with my dogs. It was a calm and civil conversation . Then he stated that he would shoot my dogs if they interfered with his cattle operation. I completely understood and let him know that my grandfather raised me the same way and that my dogs are too scared to chase cattle. He promptly drove 25 feet in front of me as I called Lola to come to me in the car, he pulled out a deer rifle and shot my dog. She was no more than 20 feet away from the front of his truck. This dog was petrified of cows and would never chase or attack them. He drove away holding his rifle out the window and told me he would do the same to my other dog (lily) that was standing by my foot. He killed Lola, for the simple fact that I was walking on a dirt road that he said was private. Please please please share our story. Justice must be served!!!!

Dog should be under control. I love my dog but would totally understand her being put down if she didn't behave.

This time of year we have neighbor’s cattle on three sides of our inner perimeter, and we have a Pit bull. We have always had Pits. I check our perimeter fence regularly, and make sure our knuckle head is behaving

No f.b. for me how bad is she?

Somewhere between the two stories is the truth. Either way he was in the wrong to begin with.

Really plastic, no 2 pictures of her are the same :laughing:

There is always that, but sounds like he is spinning it for the sympathy vote.

If , he owns a 100 acre ranch, why would he be on this mans property?

And there is this... :rolleyes:

I grew up on a cattle farm, neighbors across the road were always taking in strays, regularly had a pack of mutts.

It's not something I'm proud of, but but dogs never chased cattle or harassed calves more than once if we could help it. Neighbor was aware, and was okay with it being our problem instead of his. :shaking: Even told dad, "do what ya gotta do."

[486 said:
;n220777]dogs that chase livestock get shot, it's just what happens

just like cats that happen to exist

Because cats eat gerbils...and that in turn means less gerbils for you to, well you know:flipoff2:

Not going to pretend I know the whole story here. Seems like a "when idiots collide" situation.

Top Back Refresh