What's new

Lets tear apart a perfectly good truck

Yeah, seems like some people really like using beads, some people hate them. I figured I give them a shot since my balancer didn't want to work last time i used it. If they have any issues, I'll pull the beads and get them balanced on a machine.

IMG_20230430_111858583.jpg

Got to drive it last week. Took a lot longer to get shafts done then I thought it would. Anywho, they are in. Took it for a spin a couple miles down the road to get fuel, and back home.

Couple things to take care of, but nothing major yet.

Clutch pedal grabs right at the top, I don't like not having any freeplay. Nervous its not fully engaged, so I might space out the slave a bit and see what it does. Clutch feels nice otherwise though, nice easy pedal feel.

Speedo needs some tuning, was doing 100+ mph in first gear. Simple fix with the app on the phone, that dakota digital box makes it so easy. I'll fine tune it next time I drive it.

Fuel pressure would drop to nothing at idle once it warmed up. Ordered an adjustable OFV from torqtek, it showed up today. Hopefully that'll take care of that.

Got home and noticed the power steering pump had oil all over it again. Cleaned it up and left it overnight, looked in the morning to figure out where it was leaking. Still not 100%, but its not the pump to reservoir seal that I had to replace earlier. Almost looks like its the two lower bolts that hold the pump to the vacuum pump, but that can't be because they are blind holes I believe. At least on the gm pump they are. I think its gotta be the steering pump shaft seal, but it doesn't look to be wet around it. I almost think its engine oil, and not steering fluid. The engine oil is still clean, so the color looks the same as the power steering fluid, but it kinda feels like oil rubbing it between the fingers. It's weird that it hadn't leaked all the times it ran sitting here at the house, then when I drove it it leaked, and it hasn't leaked the few times it ran at the house since then either. Wondering if the oil drain line in the vacuum pump assembly keeps up at idle, but when you're driving it, there's a lot more oil in that assembly allowing it to leak. Whatever the reason, gotta pull that steering pump off again, just need to figure out whats leaking before I pull it back apart. Will get the OFV replaced and go drive it again and see if I can figure out where its coming from.

Never got it under any load really, and not much more then about 35mph. Thinking I'll be pulling some fuel out of it, it'll roll some coal as it is, but I'll wait till I can actually get it on the highway, and get a trailer behind it. Debated getting an AFC live setup for it just for ease of tuning, be nice and easy, but the other part of me says just don't be a lazy fucker.

Still need to get an adjustable track bar, Either I cant read a tape measure, or I cut the coils after I did the track bar. But the front end sits to the passenger side about a half inch. Anyone know if those super duty adjustable track bars will go shorter then factory?

I was actually surprised how quiet the engine, and the exhaust was. Granted, I didn't get it out on the highway, but around town it's definitely quieter then the 6.5 in my K5.

Awesome build! I love these trucks. Have had a 94 and 97 Chevy and a minty 97 GMC throughout the years. Wish I never sold the GMC (sold it in 2012 or so), it was such a nice truck. I am always on the lookout for a clean crew cab long bed such as yours. I am digging it!

Been trying to work out the kinks/little issues. Still have only put about 20 miles on the thing. I drive it around town, come back home and figure out whats leaking and/or needs attention. Let's see if i can remember all the issues it's had already...

After the first test drive it had a fuel pressure problem, was only about ten lbs at idle after it warmed up but would jump up to 30+ as soon as you were off idle. It was also leaking oil from the vacuum pump, initially, I thought the steering pump was leaking again. But upon further inspection it was the vacuum pump seal that's a fairly common problem on these engines I guess.
So I ordered an adjustable OFV, and a rebuild kit for the vacuum pump. Would like to have just ditched the vacuum pump, but that's an expensive ordeal. Rebuilding the pump is pretty simple, used a seal kit from Genos garage. Somehow managed to get the pump out without having to pull the steering lines off the steering pump, which is awesome because bleeding a hydroboost setup blows. Got the OHV swapped out. Supposedly its set for 30psi at idle, but when I fired it up, it was about 45psi. Backed it down, but couldn't get it low enough. Once it got to about 35psi it starts leaking fuel from the adjusting screw because its out so far. So i screwed it in until i could get it to stop leaking and rolled with it. I think it was around 37psi at idle.

Test drive number two! Got it out on the highway for a minute, managed to get the speedo pretty close. Using a gps on a cigarette lighter nav thingy, and adjusting the dakota box with the phone. Still has the fuel pressure dropping at idle, only after it warms up...wtf. Little seepage from the OFV adjusting screw. Also, the alternator still squeaks like a mofo (did while it was on the 454 as well, just kept forgetting to replace it). Also noticed the oil return on the bottom of the turbo is seeping. Ordered a new/not rebuilt alternator, finally. Promptly went and got the wrong turbo drain gasket from the local parts store (I thought it was odd they had it in stock!):homer:. Set out to figure out the fuel pressure issue. Put the orig OFV back in. Thought I'd try unplugging the fuel pump in the tank, see what it does. Well, it does exactly what it does once it gets warm, good pressure driving but low pressure at idle ( low enough it lopes a bit). Well that means the fuel pump is turning off once it gets warm. Turns out the oil pressure switch (which is brand new, cause I broke the original one pulling it out) is garbage. I could push/pull on the sensor and make the pump come on and off while it was running. So I ordered a GM replacement one this time.
Got the turbo drain gasket replaced, new alternator on, and the new oil pressure sensor in. Goddamn alternator still squeaks! Its a different squeak, but still a squeak...dammit! Take it off, put the old alt back on and send the new one back. Lets go for another drive..

Test drive number three! Low fuel pressure issue taken care of! However, its still all over the place, I need to put the adj one back in it. Seems every time I look at it its at a different pressure. I'll start it, it'll be at 45psi, next time I start it, its at 30psi. Next time its at 35psi. Wierd. Also noticing a fuel leak from the fuel heater area, and the snubber/fuel gauge line connection is a little damp. Got a reman alt from autozone while they had a 15, or 20% off thing going last week online. So it saved me 50 bucks or so over the new one I sent back. Get it on, and theres still a little squeak..Shit. Its a lot different then the last two alternators, and quieter. So I got something else squeaking as well. I can spin this one and its quiet, the old one, and the brand new one I sent back would both squeak spinning them by hand.

Test drive four! Did about a 10 mile loop this time. About half way through the alt quit charging and the tach went away. came and went for a few minutes, then went away all together. When I got back I unplugged the alt plug and plugged it back in and it was working as normal again. Might throw some lithium grease on that connector. Took the belt off and tried to find the squeaky wheel. Cant find the culprit spinning each one by hand, but the fan hub os the only non-new thing on the front of the engine, so I ordered a new one of those today. Re-installed the fuel pressure gauge hose to hopefully take care of that little seepage. Also found that it looks like the adapter fitting going into the fuel heater is what is leaking, not the heater/prefilter thing itself. Need to get that taken care of still.

I also managed to get some e-track installed in the bed for the camper, and a gooseneck plug as well. I figured I'd use a gooseneck plug instead of the little 3 prong thing they use, because I may put a gooseneck hitch in it someday. Took the canopy off for the first time in about 15 years! Never had anywhere safe to put it before, and I rigged up a crank/pulley setup to lift it off with one person.

BustedCrank

You did not modified or replaced the fuel sending unit in the tank????

did you left it in there intact and the gas fuel pump pushing diesel fuel into the lift pump? lol that explains why it started so fast for you on your first test fire.

your high fuel pressure most likely will stop if you gut the original fuel pump inside the fuel sending unit and let the cummins factory lift pump do it's thing sucking diesel out of tank.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pressure much.
I'm not too worried about it, I think I'll throw the adjustable one back on it, and keep it as low as it'll go without leaking. Would just like to see it be consistent, would make it difficult to tune when its swinging 20psi at idle every time you start it.

You did not modified or replaced the fuel sending unit in the tank????

did you left it in there intact and the gas fuel pump pushing diesel fuel into the lift pump? lol that explains why it started so fast for you on your first test fire.

your high fuel pressure most likely will stop if you gut the original fuel pump inside the fuel sending unit and let the cummins factory lift pump do it's thing sucking diesel out of tank.

Yes the factory 454 pump is still pushing fuel from the tank, into the factory lift pump on the engine. I kept it for ease of firing off after a fuel filter change,, initial startup, and to avoid/find all the air leaks in the system everybody seems to have when using just the factory lift pump. Also, was hoping the factory lift pump would pull through it, and then i could use it as just a backup, for the record, it will while driving just fine, just not well at idle. And you're right, its completely the reason for the high fuel pressure. I looked at the OHV for trucks running a fass or airdog, but those are 150-200gph pumps, and the factory GM pump is only about 50 if i remember correctly, so I don't think that would work either. If it becomes an issue, I'll remove the pump in the tank and just let the lift pump on the engine do its thing.

Side note...Did you ever make a thread for building your own afc live setup?

Took it for another spin today. And after replacing the fan hub setup, it's still got a squeak in the accessories :flipoff: Everything is new now, but one of them is squeaking.

Got the fuel leak taken care of at the fuel heater bowl/prefilter. But still have a seep where the grease whip goes into the brass fitting for the fuel pressure gauge. I have some teflon on it, maybe I should have left that off, I'll try that tomorrow.

Seems to run pretty well. Definitely has too much fuel off the line, as is smokes pretty good till the turbo lights. I haven't cracked the afc to see what it has (or doesnt) for a fuel plate, no idea if it has different injectors in it or not. But it sure seems to pull pretty well from the 40 to 70mph range, I'd say its a lot less effort then it was with the supercharged 454. But that may be because it's been so long since i've driven it, and it usually had a trailer behind it. Once I can get a drive in without any problems to take care of, I will throw a trailer behind it and get a better idea of how it pulls in comparison.

Took it for another spin today. And after replacing the fan hub setup, it's still got a squeak in the accessories :flipoff: Everything is new now, but one of them is squeaking.
Have you taken a mechanic's stethoscope - or even a hammer handle - to it to try to determine what is squeaking? I've narrowed a few things down with HF's cheap one: Mechanics Stethoscope

Have you taken a mechanic's stethoscope - or even a hammer handle - to it to try to determine what is squeaking? I've narrowed a few things down with HF's cheap one: Mechanics Stethoscope

I used a screwdriver on everything but the water pump, I wasn't gonna get my ugly mug that close to the fan (although it probably couldn't get much worse!). Alt, compessor, fan hub, and tensioner all sounded the same. Maybe I'll pick up one of those stethoscopes this week. Buddy said both his dad's cummins trucks squeaked like that, and it was always the belt. I dunno how, but maybe, I could try some dressing or something I suppose just to see. I should get another belt for it anyway to keep in the truck for a spare.

Took it for about a 50 mile cruise today with the trailer. It cruises pretty well, actually really quiet while just maintaining speed. Drives nicer then it did with the worn out IFS under it. Steering wheel is a little crooked, but that's an easy fix. No noticeable bump steer. Brakes seem to work well, I didn't do any major panic brake checks at speed because there were always cars around. Saw 35psi on the boost gauge a few times, and you can hear the turbo bark when you lift when it's up there. Never saw more then 1200*, but I wasn't in it very long because it would be doing 70+ where I shouldn't be. When you put it under a load it gets loud in the cab, I think the trans is hitting the body around where shift tower comes through. Nothing major, just an annoyance that may get fixed down the road, or just get used to it and forget about it. Was underwhelmed with the exhaust brake, but I think it will do better the more load you put it under. Also, I'm used to the engine brake on the x15 I drive at work, that thing works awesomely.

I think it pulls just as well or better then the whippled 454 did. Really need to ease into it to keep it from smoking though, but once the turbo starts spooling it clear out even with your foot down. Need to get a turbo that will spool sooner, but for now need to back the fuel off a bit down low. Need to look into a DIY afc live setup, I know people have done it, but I haven't looked into it yet myself. Or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order one. I think i'd do a better tuning job with one, vs without, as I'd probably get it close and then be too lazy to perfect it if I had to pull the afc apart every time.

I checked under the hood a few times throughout the trip, no leaks every time..till I got home. Had the fuel prefilter bowl leaking again. I might just bypass it and run the fuel line right into the mechanical lift pump.

Overall, I'm happy with it though so far.

IMG_20230618_114355574.jpg

Top Back Refresh