What's new

lets talk gear

had a great weekend in the sierras. got a solid 7mi 1500' hike with the family and shared some time with friends.

the sleeping shituation is about 90% there. the temp rating is fairly accurate, it was probably in the mid-high 40s at nights. i wasnt cold, but wasnt warm, just in the weird annoyance state most of the night which caused lots of tossing and turning (i sleep in my chonies as clothes annoy me, im sure some clothes would have kept me warmer) this keep the wife up as "it sounded like you were rolling around in a bag of chips". night two i tossed a horse/mexican blanket i keep in the tahoe in between the bag and sleeping pad. no reports of noise from the wife and i was warmer. will be adding a small blanket to go in-between the bag/pad and get an insert for the bag to get me another 10-15* on the rating.

the sleep pad was significantly more comfortable than the thermarest i have been using and super easy to inflate. i will be adding these to the fleet to start.

old vs. new
1664206843389.png

Glad to see it’s working ok. A beanie will keep you substantially warmer than sleeping in a base layer from my experience. You can always drape a puffy jacket over your torso outside the bag also if it gets colder than expected.

With you, the wife, and 2 kids, it’s not a bad idea to get two lighter bags and two warmer bags, unless you always camp as a family 100% of the time. It gives you more flexibility if there are just two of you going, I’m not taking my kids camping below freezing anyways, and they need warmer rated bags when they are smaller if you’re letting them “grow into them”.

I just used the older versions of this for a week in northern Colorado, we had ice inside the vestibule the first night and I was fine in just boxers.

Glad to see it’s working ok. A beanie will keep you substantially warmer than sleeping in a base layer from my experience. You can always drape a puffy jacket over your torso outside the bag also if it gets colder than expected.

With you, the wife, and 2 kids, it’s not a bad idea to get two lighter bags and two warmer bags, unless you always camp as a family 100% of the time. It gives you more flexibility if there are just two of you going, I’m not taking my kids camping below freezing anyways, and they need warmer rated bags when they are smaller if you’re letting them “grow into them”.

I just used the older versions of this for a week in northern Colorado, we had ice inside the vestibule the first night and I was fine in just boxers.

cold feet are the thing that will make me toss and turn.

mid 30s isnt out of the question in the dezert for camping/prelanding/offroading so far the cheap bags have done the trick for the kids. sea to summit sells inserts, so i am going to start with that. i will be replacing all the self inflating foam mats with the sleeping pad i got or one similar at the beginning of the year along with an addition another small sleeping bag with insert. i want to do a few overnight trips, my wife wont be coming on those but my son might.

thanks for the info

Top Back Refresh