What's new

lets talk gear

Member Number
Loc
socal
just got back from a road trip with the family. need to do something about gear. in my single days i ran whatever gear was cheap because without fail it would get covered in gear oil. additionally i had a fair amount of space in the bed of the truck for the ol' stuff and shove. now that i got a family of 5, we are running our program out of an SUV upgrading gear to reduce its footprint is needed. while it pains me to drop $100-200 on sleeping bag for my kid plus a sleeping pad, reducing the size from 2 5gal buckets to 2 bottles of water is appealing as that would be a huge help in the tetris game. the less space the gear takes up, the more space i have for food and i like food.

anyone else dealing with this or come up with solution?

1658250082425.png

Roof rack, bumper rack... But, it looks like you should be giving lessons on space conservation and organization. Not sure how you could do better..

receiver rack, but it makes opening the rear hatch a bitch

but a small 4x8 enclosed trailer might be worth the minor investment

teach your family how to pack for a trip. The only thing you should have multiple pairs of is socks and underwear. Those suitcase can be reduced alot.

Roof top storage? Guessing not all them snacks were needed when your stopping for gas ever 5-6 hours. But 5 people that's alot of gear.

The biggest thing is having a packing list and sticking to it, cut out any of the “we might want this” stuff. Example would be taking fishing gear when you really just plan on hiking, but somebody might want to fish in the pond for 30 minutes, which doesn’t actually end up happening. Aside from emergency gear (to include bug spray, rain jacket, etc), if you don’t use it in 2-3 trips, leave it behind.

I have gotten into backpacking, so it makes more sense to me to just have a 2 lb 20 degree down mummy bag than that plus a 6 lb flannel rectangle for when I car camp.

One thing you’re doing correctly is the duffel bags for each person. A rule I’ve seen applied, is if it doesn’t fit in that person’s bag, it’s not coming with. Doesn’t matter if it’s a puzzle, 3rd pair of boots, stuffed animal, etc. This is what drives me nuts about my wife, there are always 2-3 small tote bags in addition to her suitcase or duffel bag, then just random handfuls of crap.

With a fridge, food, and clothes, you’re already packing out an SUV with a white family. One of the reasons I’m building a small camping trailer right now. I care less about the actual volume of stuff and more about being able to get loaded quickly without a bunch of stress. There’s no reason it should take us 45 minutes to get in the car for a spur of the moment beach, trip, but it always does. :shaking:

Somehow I can do a 7 day trip out of a 40 lb pack which includes stuff to kill an butcher an animal, but for a 2 day vacation near stores with everything one could ever need there are things stacked on the dashboard.

Get rid of the water bottles ,buy everyone a Nalgen and carry a five gallon jug of water. Pre pack and re pack all your food. Factory packaging takes up a shit ton of wasted space.
Anything that packs up light and small is expensive. Cheap camping gear is heavy and bulky.

Get rid of the water bottles ,buy everyone a Nalgen and carry a five gallon jug of water. Pre pack and re pack all your food. Factory packaging takes up a shit ton of wasted space.
Anything that packs up light and small is expensive. Cheap camping gear is heavy and bulky.
We all have our own Hydro Flask water bottle. They are a little pricey, but they are well worth it. My girls are out on their own now, their Hydro Flask is usually with them.

When I was going in to the desolation wilderness on a regular basis I stopped bringing water bottles (except for a Hydro flask) . I invested in a Katadyn pump filter, and gravity feed filter. I kept a collapsible water container for base camp.

Last edited:
no roof racks, hitch haulers or trailers. not happening, if it comes to this i will replace the tahoe with an ecoboosted mid roof transit.

this trip was 2 weeks on the road, half camping and the other half an airbnb. everything was structured around 7 days self containment with what we got. everyone had a duffel bag to give the wife boundaries for packing for the kids (7/5/3). they each get a klein linesman bag for whatever toys they want to bring, so they usually discuss it amongst themselves and get a little bit of everything. that program just kinda happened but it has been amazing.

the food shituation was dialed, bought meal prep containers to standardize the space. once the food was gone, the container was wiped out and went back into the fridge to keep things in their place and it was ready to be refilled at the next grocery stop. dry food was pulled from the factory packaging and dropped into a ziplock.

this is the first time weve did an extended trip like this, so it was a learning experience. we used everything we packed and overall it worked great.

I have gotten into backpacking, so it makes more sense to me to just have a 2 lb 20 degree down mummy bag than that plus a 6 lb flannel rectangle for when I car camp.

this the direction i want to go, only thing that concerns me is durability. what bag do you have?

This is the latest bag I’ve purchased, though it was the previous orange version, I only have a few trips in it but it fits my needs. Criteria was ~ 2 lbs, ~ 20 degrees, $300 budget which was actually surprisingly hard to find. It seems to be smack in the middle of the range where there are lighter, heavier, cheaper, more expensive, warmer, and colder options.

I like the fact that there’s more foot room also. IMO, durability on non ultra lightweight gear is overrated and it will be fine if you don’t do stuff like walk around in gravel wearing your sleeping bag like a giant condom.

This is the sleeping bag I bought for my 4 year old to grow into, I’m not going to take him camping when it’s sub 40
degrees for awhile. We are in N FL, so it’s not all that hard.

Saw this in the wild, didn’t get a mfr or better pic. The plastic bin looks small but was full width, may have been lockable. Certainly more dryer than the top rack. Cooler on the top rack?

4E5502EC-092F-4F4B-A70A-39F50C1EA59B.jpeg

As a former backpacker/light backpacker/ultra light backpacker;
I am thoroughly convinced you can reduce each family member's personal luggage/carry-bag stuff by a third, maybe even half if you go the ultra light way.

A starter:

As a former backpacker/light backpacker/ultra light backpacker;
I am thoroughly convinced you can reduce each family member's personal luggage/carry-bag stuff by a third, maybe even half if you go the ultra light way.

A starter:

That was my point, except for vehicle travel you can just go ”lightweight” rather than “ultralight” for 1/2 the money and still cut 50% of the bulk/weight from standard car camping gear.

Example: We have a North Face 4 person dome tent that weighs 7 lbs. Many car camping tents weigh nearly 20 lbs. There’s really no need for a $900 cuben fiber tipi to carry in a full sized vehicle.

Same deal with sleeping pads, buy a ~ 1 lb inflatable pad that retains some comfort and insulation over an 8 oz torso pad that crinkles all night.

This why I like taking my camper with me. You can fit a lot fireworks and shit in there.

perfect world, i would like to have two duffle bags for all the sleeping gear. one for bags, one for mats. if i spend enough money i can have everything in one, which is VERY appealing. it can be done, but at what cost. 97% of what we do is car camping. footprint, durability, cost and weight are the priorities in that order.

this combo is very appealing, granted its a ton of money up front but give us some flexibility in the future.

i cant justify the cost of a camper or RV. so much money that just rots away in the driveway.
Ah c'mon. Gotta spend money on something, might as well be good money pit. Kind of lucky myself, currently have mine stored under a roof.

perfect world, i would like to have two duffle bags for all the sleeping gear. one for bags, one for mats. if i spend enough money i can have everything in one, which is VERY appealing. it can be done, but at what cost. 97% of what we do is car camping. footprint, durability, cost and weight are the priorities in that order.

this combo is very appealing, granted its a ton of money up front but give us some flexibility in the future.
Good points.

What I was also referring to was something that doesn't cost a penny.
Example:

In that pic of your packed rig/trip; take everyone's (including yours) personal carry bag(s) and have them eliminate, say, 10% of their personal stuff. When that's completed; do it one more time.

Another example:
Think back on that trip; were there any general-community (non-emergency) gear/personal stuff that wasn't used/hardly used?
"Wasn't used/hardly used" stuff should absolutely be left behind.

In your family of 5; if your lovely wife is the only female, then eliminating gear/personal stuff should be super easy (guys don't care about wearing the same clothes/underwear for days at a time etc).
However; if you're the only male in said family of 5, 4 females accomplishing that will be, shall we say, a challenge....:eek::lmao:

For disclosure:
Whether a 3-day or a 2-week general trip; I pack:
2 t-shirts
2 shorts
1 pant
2 undershorts
1 windbreaker
1 med-jacket
1 pair secondary footwear
toiletry stuff pouch

Everything fits in a carryon pack.:smokin:

Ah c'mon. Gotta spend money on something, might as well be good money pit. Kind of lucky myself, currently have mine stored under a roof.

id rather have a paid for house then an RV i used 5/6 times a year.

1658432844087.png

nope nope nope need at least one change of under ware per day and socks also, and then at least one spare. but i am not back packing so weight is not the issue. all the rest i can skimp on but i have a hard line in the sand about changing my socks and undies daily. lol :dustin::dustin::dustin:

1658432844087.png

nope nope nope need at least one change of under ware per day and socks also, and then at least one spare. but i am not back packing so weight is not the issue. all the rest i can skimp on but i have a hard line in the sand about changing my socks and undies daily. lol :dustin::dustin::dustin:
socks I agree with, I take 4-5 days worth typically
the other I only do 2 pairs. baby wipes keep the shorts clean and if I do end up with some spicy food that's what the spare is for. And can always buy some at walmart.

I am the same as above on clothes packing. I bring a change of skivvies for every day plus an extra pair. same with socks. I sweat like a fiend when it's hot or humid and I am not dealing with athlete's foot from wearing my socks multiple days. shorts, long pants I will wear multiple days if needed and they aren't muddy. I prefer to have a clean shirt daily if possible.

We don't car camp anymore so there is plenty of room in the camper for extra changes of clothes. :flipoff2:

1658432844087.png

socks I agree with, I take 4-5 days worth typically
the other I only do 2 pairs. baby wipes keep the shorts clean and if I do end up with some spicy food that's what the spare is for. And can always buy some at walmart.
I am the same as above on clothes packing. I bring a change of skivvies for every day plus an extra pair. same with socks. I sweat like a fiend when it's hot or humid and I am not dealing with athlete's foot from wearing my socks multiple days. shorts, long pants I will wear multiple days if needed and they aren't muddy. I prefer to have a clean shirt daily if possible.

We don't car camp anymore so there is plenty of room in the camper for extra changes of clothes. :flipoff2:
I definitely respect your preference for underwear-change frequency.....ladies:flipoff2::laughing:

I assumed 90% of men, if left to their own devices, changed underwear less frequently while vacationing.:confused:🤷‍♂️
(the other 10% are gey:flipoff2::laughing:)

The point of that post of mine was reducing bulk(taking up space)/not weight.

I wear merino wool boxers and socks when backpacking, bring one spare, and just rotate them every day. They don’t get gross or stink. Not something I’d mess with traveling in a vehicle though. I think you underestimate how much space the backpacking sleep system will save, I’m pretty sure I could fit 4 bags and pads in a normal school sized backpack.

Bonus is that if you end up camping via canoe, horseback, SXS, mountain bike, etc, it works really well. You don’t have to plan on hardcore backpacking for it to be useful.

My biggest struggle with car camping is kitchen stuff. When you’re hanging around the campground more than hunting/hiking cooking is part of the experience, so I don’t want to just eat a mountain house. Problem is I pretty much end up eating the same things I do at home, steak/baked potato/broccoli. I need to work on simple but good stuff like the hobo foil packets with chicken/carrots/onions.

I had thought about building a teardrop camper as I liked the idea of it staying ready to go, being able to sleep out of the heat, and not having to deal with packing up a soaking wet tent, but we were on the verge of having kids then and I figured it would sit way more than it got used, as you said.

My current solution is a replacement for my worn out utility trailer that is off road capable and versatile with carrying things. When you’ve got 2 car seats and a dog(s) in the SUV, plus want to bring 4 bikes and a canoe, you need more room anyways. I found a giant dry bag that will strap down to the deck, or I can use a construction job box and still have room for toys.

1D4A1DA1-4794-4006-B91F-B7ACBF0682CE.jpeg

Yeah, I built a camping trailer that has everything in it. And while it does make me carry more than I need its so nice just tossing food in, grab a bag of clothes and gone. Already know everything I need is there

Been slowly thinning out stuff I don't use it in. Trying to have a space big enough for a scuba loadout or one of those inflatable pontoon/raft boats.

i have considered a small enclosed just to use as a shelter, but again i have something that sits most of the time taking up space.

hitch haulers, roof racks, etc are a hard pass because they draw attention and the last thing i want is to be climbing on the roof to unload crap. in its current state my tahoe is a just another SUV with hideous rims, the CA license plate is enough of a liability.

at this point in time, the clothes is not on the table for reduction in the interest of domestic tranquility. additionally, i refuse to re-wear underwear or socks. i thank the men in uniform who going months in the dezert in the same gear so i dont have to. which is why i am focusing on the sleeping gear. if the sleeping pad works out, those will be the first to be implemented since they are the cheaper of the two and i can reduce the entire families sleeping pad footprint into one thermarest.

1658722505218.png

I think you underestimate how much space the backpacking sleep system will save, I’m pretty sure I could fit 4 bags and pads in a normal school sized backpack.

well, were are about to find out. just ordered some test pieces, was going back and forth on the temp rating for the bag and not 100% stoked about the 1/3 zipper but its just money right?

1658722140200.png

I think you underestimate how much space the backpacking sleep system will save, I’m pretty sure I could fit 4 bags and pads in a normal school sized backpack.
had a great weekend in the sierras. got a solid 7mi 1500' hike with the family and shared some time with friends.

the sleeping shituation is about 90% there. the temp rating is fairly accurate, it was probably in the mid-high 40s at nights. i wasnt cold, but wasnt warm, just in the weird annoyance state most of the night which caused lots of tossing and turning (i sleep in my chonies as clothes annoy me, im sure some clothes would have kept me warmer) this keep the wife up as "it sounded like you were rolling around in a bag of chips". night two i tossed a horse/mexican blanket i keep in the tahoe in between the bag and sleeping pad. no reports of noise from the wife and i was warmer. will be adding a small blanket to go in-between the bag/pad and get an insert for the bag to get me another 10-15* on the rating.

the sleep pad was significantly more comfortable than the thermarest i have been using and super easy to inflate. i will be adding these to the fleet to start.

old vs. new
1664206843389.png

good deal.

I find the same with the temp rating, as in they are off (high) about 10 degrees for me to be comfortable.

Top Back Refresh