What's new

Let's spend more of Dan's Money... Camper addition

I ordered a Bullet 250BHS last fall that will be ready in a few weeks. We have two kids and two dogs. They're all cheaply built but this one seems marginally better than others. Got the full solar kit with it. First camper, no experience but I hope it'll serve our needs.

The truck camper we used for our honeymoon roadtrip was bitchin'. We loved that. What an awesome setup.

Just a note on camping though in recent years. Its packed. Absolutely, PACKED. Wall to wall with these giant 5r's and six pullouts. Its obnoxious. Few times a year I take a trip on the motorcycle camping, and these past two years has been shit. Everything if full, its $55 for a tent site next to the shitter or freeway, people are all drunk, and its just a miserable time. I got asked to leave a place because I went on the hiking path to collect some downed sticks for firewood. Rode into town to grab a burger, came back, and there was a note on the picnic table saying pack your things and report to the office because of "harvesting firewood". It was all dead sticks on the ground. They just want you to buy the firewood bundle for $12.

I've been getting more and more into the dispersed camping on the bike. As for a car and tent, its a shitshow now.

Where the fuck was that, NY?

They are all kind of crappy, especially the cheap ones. The best advice is to go look at them and be realistic on what needs fixed right out of the box. Soft spot in the floor, keep walking, rusty screws behind the outside kitchen door, keep walking, toilet not secured down, yep, walked right off the lot. Those were all issues I found while being on the new camper lot for 1 hour. I am just not interested. The warranty wait line was 2 months, even for piddly shit. Guess who cant fix simple shit on a camper? Yep, people that decided this would be the year to go camping.

That being said, the coachman Apex line impressed me the most. They have walls that supposedly wont delaminate, they had a chunk of the fiberglass walls sitting in water at the sales counter. In my area, these run 30-35k where the cheapies were going for 22-26k. Apex is midline but decent quality.

Good luck!

Unless you do alot of "camping" then renting is the way to go. There are RV equivalents to airbnb.

Grand Design authorizes warranty repairs at local shops, instead of having to take it to the dealer and wait in line.

Never buy from camping world or service there.

store in a garage or it will be junk twice as fast.

You need to be handy or you will go broke.

A friend of mine once told me his wife's idea of roughing it was doing without room service. To illistrate this he told the tale of a fishing trip Where when they got to the lake he set a pallet down witha portqa potty on it wrapped in a tent. He then set her a chair out with an umbrella and a cooler full of drinks. He was happly fishing when she walked up and explained that he must at once take her to a gas station so she could use the restroom. So he loaded everything back into the van and took her to the gas station. Then home, he never took her with him again :laughing:

No interest in renting, I would want to have it set up how I want and ready to use when I want to. Still early on in the conversations about getting one, but good information on here. Very much a spur of the minute type thing, but if I could find one for the right price I would def kick the idea around harder.

How many people does it need to handle and for how long at a time? I bought a 2021 21ft Flagstaff Micro-Lite 21DS bumper pull last Sept. already have 7,000 miles on it. Not the least expensive brand for sure, but definitely not the most expensive.

Upgrades have already started, mostly power related. If you are planning on a May trip, you had better start looking at campgrounds. Places are filling up pretty fast, I've got another 6 week trip coming up and the nicer parks are getting full.

You need to check the reviews, especially the interior height if you are tall. If you are going to travel far between stops, see if the bathroom and possibly the fridge are accessible with the slides closed. If I need to pull off to use the bathroom, i need to bump my slide out about a foot. Kind of annoying but the trailer layout works for everything else I do.

Make sure hvac is flawless and working great.... otherwise bail!!!!!
Just ask rugger!!!!
:flipoff2:

Toterhome.

I've never owned one, cause camping is lame. However, friend owns a 2005(?) Cougar 5th somewhere in the 30ft range.

I paid to leave it on the coast so we could go fishing. Was cheaper than the fuel and trouble to haul it. I've helped replaced the fridge, range, all the furniture, floor, roof, walls, misc plumbing, etc. I'm glad I dont own in and just provide labor for repairs.

It humors me that certain RV parks wont allow # or older models in their park. It was great for the week of KOH, but otherwise it's a major PITA.

Toterhome.
It humors me that certain RV parks wont allow # or older models in their park. It was great for the week of KOH, but otherwise it's a major PITA.
It's actully kind of fucked instead of judging by how it looks thay just say if it is 5 or 10 years older we don't want it in our park.

Toterhome.

I've never owned one, cause camping is lame. However, friend owns a 2005(?) Cougar 5th somewhere in the 30ft range.

I paid to leave it on the coast so we could go fishing. Was cheaper than the fuel and trouble to haul it. I've helped replaced the fridge, range, all the furniture, floor, roof, walls, misc plumbing, etc. I'm glad I dont own in and just provide labor for repairs.

you should try pulling up in your converted 26' box truck.

that's still painted in uhaul colors.

fun times.

KIMG0849.JPG
27' northwood nash. 4 season camper. I live in it. Its comfortable. I think id be better off with a shorter dual axle camper with a slide out though.

Im at 47' total length hooked up, which can make booking a spot at natl park camground difficult. Theres not as many spots available and they get booked quick during peak season. I also like to camp in the national forest outside of natl parks with the camper.

we ended up going with an older class C, which was about 2 weeks worth of rentals in price. minor mechanical work required, no real coach work required which was nice.

we haven't tried to stay in a RV Park, just forests and rest stops. don't see any appeal for any reason to go to a rv park unless it is long term like a seasonal living arrangement

conversion van is pretty awesome and going up from there to a class b van is another fun option, similar but more convenient than the slide in truck campers

Or your skoolie still yellow

"you can't bring that in here, it's not a motorhome"
"you want to see the vehicle registration from the state of ohio that says "motorcoach" on it? You want my money or not?"

"you can't bring that in here, it's not a motorhome"
"you want to see the vehicle registration from the state of ohio that says "motorcoach" on it? You want my money or not?"

For most people in charge of those kinds of campgrounds, wanting your money is only secondary to maintaining their own little private kingdom.

do toyhaulers still typically have larger fresh/gray/black tanks compared to travel trailers?

i have a 2001 thor tahoe transport 21' toyhauler that holds 100gal of fresh water :eek: i can take full on long refreshing showers on a 4day weekend trip:flipoff2:

It seems funny to ask here, but do you 4 wheel?
Camping trailers suck for a guy that has a Jeep/4x4 (where you do most of your camping) as you can't EASILY (adding that in for all the guys with redneck toyhaulers, flat bed trucks, and what ever else that most people with a travel trailer do not have) take a rig and a trailer without either a flatbed or double towing.
I love a truck camper / cabover camper, but at 40 years old I got sick of climbing in and out of bed.
I sold my cabover and bought a Class C RV. It was great and all but I still could not take it most places I go 4 wheeling as it was too low and got stuck, so I made it 4x4 and other that it not having the same power that my cummins had with a cabover on it, I love it.
motorhome3.jpg

It seems funny to ask here, but do you 4 wheel?
Camping trailers suck for a guy that has a Jeep/4x4 (where you do most of your camping) as you can't EASILY (adding that in for all the guys with redneck toyhaulers, flat bed trucks, and what ever else that most people with a travel trailer do not have) take a rig and a trailer without either a flatbed or double towing.
I love a truck camper / cabover camper, but at 40 years old I got sick of climbing in and out of bed.
I sold my cabover and bought a Class C RV. It was great and all but I still could not take it most places I go 4 wheeling as it was too low and got stuck, so I made it 4x4 and other that it not having the same power that my cummins had with a cabover on it, I love it.

You win this thread.

I’m looking at retiring soon, and Mrs can work anywhere she can get a good internet signal, so we bought a little 21ft trailer that sleeps 2. So far it has been used as guest quarters for our oldest who came out to visit over Christmas. We are throwing money at it a little at a time to get it outfitted for this summer :grinpimp:

*Our little money pit

I have a bullet too, but mines a 27', single slide bunkhouse. Been renting it out when i don't use it, took me 3 years to pay it off.

I have a bullet too, but mines a 27', single slide bunkhouse. Been renting it out when i don't use it, took me 3 years to pay it off.

We looked at the bunkhouse, but Mrs wanted smaller to make sure no one (family members) could pull a "Hey, you have extra room, I can just stay with you ! ".

Top Back Refresh