What's new

Let's spend more of Dan's Money... Camper addition

DozerDan82

Master of the Universe!!!
Member Number
Loc
3rd Rock From the Big Ball of Fire
So why the heck not. My sisters and their husbands got into camping with their kids, we grew up camping so not far off. Younger sis called today to ask about a new camper they were looking at... after checking it out for her I think I want one.

It's just $$ right??? I know they are not constructed the best but what are ones to avoid? They are looking at a Shasta 26BD, I think I would go for a 5th/goose set up if I do it.

I apparently like spending $$$ - can't take it with you right.............

I have lived in both truck and trailers and a MH loved the MH but it requries you to have a second vehicle, if I had my druthers I would go with a 5th wheel

Yes, that would be the smart thing, but they have a trip planned for May, so fuck it! ha ha

Rent one?

I bought a new one in '18 and I bet I haven't used it ten times, I woulda been money ahead renting BUT with this rona thing going on I'll be able to sell in a couple of months for what I paid for it.

The truck camper we used for our honeymoon roadtrip was bitchin'. We loved that. What an awesome setup.

Just a note on camping though in recent years. Its packed. Absolutely, PACKED. Wall to wall with these giant 5r's and six pullouts. Its obnoxious. Few times a year I take a trip on the motorcycle camping, and these past two years has been shit. Everything if full, its $55 for a tent site next to the shitter or freeway, people are all drunk, and its just a miserable time. I got asked to leave a place because I went on the hiking path to collect some downed sticks for firewood. Rode into town to grab a burger, came back, and there was a note on the picnic table saying pack your things and report to the office because of "harvesting firewood". It was all dead sticks on the ground. They just want you to buy the firewood bundle for $12.

I've been getting more and more into the dispersed camping on the bike. As for a car and tent, its a shitshow now.

[486 said:
;n327590]come on weenie, get you some fuckin shingles and make you one
PS1 and CRT tv is all you need in there

every time I see those and the 'wolf' ones on the road all I can think of is furries

Was that backwoods on the other site that made a shingled one on the back of a Ford pickup? I remember he got a lot a crap over it. He did stick around and became a grownup though.

Im very opinionated on this and here is mine.... i also have one ordered.

Brand new 2021 colman latern17b. Under 13 brand new with a warrenty and at least last year they were gurenteeing they would buy it back after 1 year for 90%.

Anything bigger is unnecessary

Rent one?

I bought a new one in '18 and I bet I haven't used it ten times, I woulda been money ahead renting BUT with this rona thing going on I'll be able to sell in a couple of months for what I paid for it.

This. Find someone that rents one you’re interested in. Get to spend some time with it before committing to it. I rent one when we go hunting. Cost around $120/day. Cheaper than a hotel, and I don’t have to store or maintain a camper the majority of the year.

Im very opinionated on this and here is mine.... i also have one ordered.

Brand new 2021 colman latern17b. Under 13 brand new with a warrenty and at least last year they were gurenteeing they would buy it back after 1 year for 90%.

Anything bigger is unnecessary

:laughing: You may say that now, wait until you got the wife and kid wanting to drag a ton of shit along. My GF wanted a little one like that and I knew how much shit she wants to drag along so we compromised on 30'. Yea it's full.:laughing:

c5bbfc6b61c2ae38a3fab206c5d96de3.jpg

:laughing: You may say that now, wait until you got the wife and kid wanting to drag a ton of shit along. My GF wanted a little one like that and I knew how much shit she wants to drag along so we compromised on 30'. Yea it's full.:laughing:

We lived in a 32' with a kid and 2 dogs... also i plan on towing with my new bronco so i can exaggerate how little room we have to add weight

Reactions: IGT
we like to camp and have always gotten out as much as possible. we always did tents until we had kids, then i got a truck camper i loved but wife not so much. only used a couple times a year.

well last year we sold the truck camper, and very reluctantly bought a '17 25ft rubicon toy hauler. it was 'used' but i couldn't tell. had to give 26k for it, and it still hurts to say that. BUT, holy shit i love this thing. its perfect for me, wifey, and two kids. we are the smallest trailer in our group and i still like it the best. it seems to be of better construction than most ive been in or worked on. even then the roof had a small leak when i bought it.... cuz they all really are pieces of shit.

even though they are junk, i put 40nights in it since we got it in july. and something like 8 states. we keep it packed and ready year round. the wife takes care of groceries, i fuel up, load the toys, and hook the truck and we're ready to go, with all the yuppie amenities.

as far as which trialer to get. there are some better than others and i think its pretty obvoius when you look at them. i think its more important to know what to look for on them. when i got the first camper i had a bunch of issues i didn't think to look for.

this is what we have;
View attachment _W8U_5LqiJiLs5sd3p0-1JTtciPsU4p9Pc-oTK0Oc-jtGFh4CZCA6sXhcLEpHor3cH6ciVH-2MQAcZ7_1sBYy7lKEFI9uKXZQo-b

Wife and I been trailer camping for about 6 years. They are all built cheap but some are worse than others. We started with a older 26' 5th wheel just because you get more trailer for the money.
In 2019 we picked up a new 39' toy hauler and love it. Its a triton brand but made by keystone. I wouldn't want anything bigger though. A lot of spots are just too small.
Like others have said since Covid its freaking nuts trying to find a spot at our state parks. Even booking 2-3 months out!

this is a camper
camper.jpg

this is a trailer

trailer.jpg

and this is where I take my camper just about every weekend from May to Sept (sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later).

IMG_20170916_191719.jpg

no crowds, no kids (all grown up) no park attendants and no stupid rules. just a nice lake out in the BC wilderness that we built a road into.
at this stage the camper is just a place to keep our stuff. we are outside 99% of the time when camping. cook and eat outside, camper has a toilet but we built a pit outhouse that we use except when the mosquitos are too bad.

oh, and here is the view from the DIY hot tub

IMG_20170916_191528.jpg

I just could not ever imagine going to a developed campground and dealing with that gong show

the truck is currently under the knife. box is gone, I am fitting a flatbed and building out the camper base to 8' wide for more storage. has to be done by May!

I'm with Fuzzydog on this one. If you want something other than a tent, get a truck camper. The last thing I want to do while camping is to sit inside a single wide. Truck camper gives you more comfortable shelter for you and a receptacle.

I'm with Fuzzydog on this one. If you want something other than a tent, get a truck camper. The last thing I want to do while camping is to sit inside a single wide. Truck camper gives you more comfortable shelter for you and a receptacle.

Those shits are EXPENSIVE.

I’m looking at retiring soon, and Mrs can work anywhere she can get a good internet signal, so we bought a little 21ft trailer that sleeps 2. So far it has been used as guest quarters for our oldest who came out to visit over Christmas. We are throwing money at it a little at a time to get it outfitted for this summer :grinpimp:

*Our little money pit
C481FC3F-3726-4681-87C8-941B1A860214.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m looking at retiring soon, and Mrs can work anywhere she can get a good internet signal, so we bought a little 21ft trailer that sleeps 2. So far it has been used as guest quarters for our oldest who came out to visit over Christmas. We are throwing money at it a little at a time to get it outfitted for this summer :grinpimp:

Buy bigger propane tanks especially if you plan on living in it during the winter in cold country! Heavy drapes that velcro around the windows at night helps. You will also find out the why of a curtained four poster bed. Invest in a mattress warmer (No not that kind) an electric one.

We had a Bigfoot camper. Got rid of it in favour of a 19' bumper pull. I like the trailer better. Easier to get firewood, bring toys, etc. 19' is enough to have the kid asleep at the back and I can give it to the wife in the bed up front.

We’ve had trailers, one a 24’ one a 21’ and two fifth wheels. One a 27’ that I really liked but the wife hated. We have a 32’North Shore made by Dutchman. It’s by far the best built and most enjoyable of the bunch! I would never go back to a bumper pull after owning fifth wheels. But we are in the west and most of our camping is dry camping. That way we are away from others more. Whatever you pick, if not new. Look for water damage from roof leaks real good!! Look for repairs that might hint at leaks. Once you’ve found a leak the damage is usually already done.

Buy bigger propane tanks especially if you plan on living in it during the winter in cold country! Heavy drapes that velcro around the windows at night helps. You will also find out the why of a curtained four poster bed. Invest in a mattress warmer (No not that kind) an electric one.

Our trailer came outfitted with dual 20lb propane tanks, and I do have several spares. I don’t function well in cold climates (I’ve had frostbite) so we wouldn’t be out camping in winter months much. We do have an awesome collection of home made quilts thanks to Mrs mom and aunt :grinpimp:

I have twin 40s, the last park I stayed in, in Wheatridge CO had a local propane place that rented 100 pounders. My older MH would suck down a hundred pounder every week and a 1/2, even then you had to wear sweats inside to stay warm

Top Back Refresh