What's new

Legends Class 4800 Build - "Tinkerita"

I would send those axles back or have them cover the cost of some wire wheels.
100%

Those are dope axles, just very odd that a custom shop would send that shit out. I hope that wasn't QC'd by a shop manager.

Hell the most mundane, simple metal work that inevitably gets beat to shit that leaves our shop does not have any spatter on it when it leaves.

Unless you said, naw I'll deal with wire wheeling all the BBs...I'd be a little ticked off.

Edit: maybe it's just dust and debris I dunno, but hope you don't have any on your inner seal race.

100%

Those are dope axles, just very odd that a custom shop would send that shit out. I hope that wasn't QC'd by a shop manager.

Hell the most mundane, simple metal work that inevitably gets beat to shit that leaves our shop does not have any spatter on it when it leaves.

Unless you said, naw I'll deal with wire wheeling all the BBs...I'd be a little ticked off.

Edit: maybe it's just dust and debris I dunno, but hope you don't have any on your inner seal race.
No worries, the housings are just dirty as they've been sitting around while I continue to fabricate brackets and what not. All of the seal journals and bearing journals are perfect. One of the down sides to a single bay garage, everything gets dirty and there's never enough space ha! Regardless, we still have to do a lot of welding on them ourselves as we prep them for trusses, brackets and mounts.

Now for the exciting part! Our axles have arrived and it's time to get these things underneath the chassis. S&S Fab did a great job on these housings. These are their Race Series 9" housings with 4" tubes, 3/8" welded skids and internally gusseted, yet still allowing a 10" ring gear. As for the knuckles and rear bearing cups, these utilize the 05+ super duty unit bearings allowing for whatever size axles we can afford ha! I've already started on the rear, so I should have it initially mocked up under the chassis soon.
:usa:
S&S Knuckle.jpg

Does 'race series' mean these are 4130 or just that they have 4" tubes and extra armor?

Also, are you suppose to butt weld those knuckles on, do they slip inside the 4" tube, or are they used?

Does 'race series' mean these are 4130 or just that they have 4" tubes and extra armor?

Also, are you suppose to butt weld those knuckles on, do they slip inside the 4" tube, or are they used?
His race series are 4" tubing with the 3/8" armor over the diffs. The only company I know of that does 4130 4" axles is Spidertrax. But for the knuckles, these slip over the 4" tube so no butt welding is needed. We got these knuckles and an open axle so we can optimize caster angle and driveshaft location under the chassis.

Reactions: Dan
His race series are 4" tubing with the 3/8" armor over the diffs. The only company I know of that does 4130 4" axles is Spidertrax. But for the knuckles, these slip over the 4" tube so no butt welding is needed. We got these knuckles and an open axle so we can optimize caster angle and driveshaft location under the chassis.

That's cool. The tubing on those knuckles just didn't look that big in the pictures. That's a good way to do it though, makes the most sense. Those housings are badass.

If your curious about the motor and where it came from, then check out the video below:

With that said, I've been hard at it on with the rear axle. Since this is the easier of the two, I wanted to start with this one. I started by gusseting the rear of the axle with a Trail Gear truss. Unfortunately this wasn't long enough as I wanted it to be full width for maximum strength. So I decided to chop it up and made partial sections in order to achieve the full width I desired. To add extra some extra strength into it all, I decided to internally gusset the truss as well. Lastly, I topped the truss with individual plates so I could weld them onto the internal gussets maximizing overall strength.
Trail Gear Truss.jpg
TG Gussets.jpg
Integral Plates.jpg
Full Width Truss.jpg

Not going to lie, this took up quite a bit of time, however I think in the long run, it will be worth it. With the truss completely welded, it was time to install the link brackets. The 4800 class is limited to 37" tires, however planning ahead, I went with an overall 10" separation in order to run 40's in the future. To minimize overall height, I started with the lowers and only allowed them to hang 1" below the axle tube for clearance. It looks like more in the picture, but the housing is rotated. For now, I just put some large tack welds on there to make sure we don't have to adjust anything when we get it under the chassis.
TMR Lowers.jpg

The next step I have to again give credit to MM and their upper link design. Our axle has an offset pinion in order to have equal length shafts, makes it easier on spare shafts as well as offsetting the diff just a little for rocks. With that said, I had to design custom individual link brackets to make up for the offset diff. Used some cardboard to get an idea then transposed it onto our 3/16" material, added a bend for a little extra clearance, made them tall enough to have our 10" separation, and long enough to integrate them onto the rear truss. After a little back and forth, I was able to template out the outers and finish with one more gusset for strength.
Upper Link Brackets.jpg
Gusset Uppers.jpg

After all of that, I cleaned up a little and I finally got the axle initially set up under the chassis. Installed our mock up unit bearings and I believe this is going to workout well. Now it's time to mock up some links, possibly build our trailing arms and make sure there isn't any interference with our fuel cell (no yet in place).

Rear Axle Mock Up.jpg

Over the past week we've made huge progress. Since we had the rear axle completely mocked up, it was time to get some links under it and see it flex. My big concern was the fuel cell location and shock mount interference. To keep everything as low as possible, I mounted our fuel cell mount to the bottom of the chassis.
Initial Fuel Cell.jpg
Low Mount.jpg

Unfortunately this didn't allow the rear axle to travel up as much as I wanted. So without hesitation I moved it to the top of the chassis tube to get it out of the way. In the near future, I'll do some trimming to lower it some more. With that said, I took my old crawler links and put together a quick suspension for mock up purposes. At full bump and full droop, we have almost 24" travel with 16" coil overs (12.5" up/11.25" down).
High Fuel Cell Bump.jpg
Full Bump.jpg
Full Droop.jpg

After our initial measurements, I started cutting tubing for our upper links to get the correct length we needed. Got those all drilled, inserts welded up, heims installed, and put them in their place under the chassis. After that, I worked on the design of our custom trailing arm. Going with an anti-wobble in the front, 2" .25" wall tubing with a ripped 2x4x.25" square tubing for a shock mount/strength, and heim in the rear for adjustments.
T-Arm Design.jpg

After getting the first one tacked together, I placed it back under the chassis for final adjustments. Wanted to verify clearances again, measure full bump, full droop, and full flex. Moving forward, we have to move the rear lower axle brackets a little wider for our 2.5" coilover springs to clear full flex (clears 2" springs), however everything else works nicely. We will limit up travel to 11.5" at full bump, and strap full droop at 9.5" initially until we verify drive shaft angles. Even still 20"+ inches in the rear.
Custom T-Arm.jpg

Links T-Arm Flex.jpg

Just because curiosity killed the cat, I threw a tire on there to see how it'll look. Although a little wider and taller than our race package, I'm pretty happy how the rear turned out.
First Tire.jpg

looks good. that's a good amount of travel. do you have any more pictures of the trailing arms? how did you cut the box tube lengthwise? getting ready to do the same thing here.

looks good. that's a good amount of travel. do you have any more pictures of the trailing arms? how did you cut the box tube lengthwise? getting ready to do the same thing here.
Yea I sure do... I'll get some better pics for you and post them soon. However, I used 2x4x.25" because of the 1.5" ID for the shock mount. I measured the entire length of the lower round tube so I would be able to go the full length and tie in the welds to the anti-wobble as well as the heim insert. Basically measured where I needed the shock mount and ripped the 2x4 the entire length equally so I would have 2 equal halves (for each side). Used some 1.5" 3/16" flat bar to cap the back and inner shock mount for strength and water/dirt restrictions.

Custom Trailing-Arm Design:
TMR Customs Anti-Wobble (4 degree rotation)
2" x .25" DOM Tubing
2" x 4" x .25" Square Tubing (1.5" Interior Width)
1.25" Heim Insert

Used the 2" DOM for the main structure and attached both the anti-wobble housing as well as the heim insert. Note: make sure you drill a couple of holes at the end and weld those up with the insert installed to hold the insert in place before welding up completely. As mentioned, we ripped the 2x4 in equal halves for the "top" shock mounting location. Used 1.5" wide plate to add a back and interior plate to keep mud and water out of the overall design. Also used the same material to build a wrap over the anti-wobble housing for additional support. Lastly cut out some overlay plates to use as additional support and strength to the mounting location of the coilovers. Drilled a hole for drainage and completely welded everything up then duplicated this on the other side.
interior plates.jpg
cover plate.jpg
drain hole.jpg
duplicate trailing arms.jpg

Can also be watched here:

Now with the rear done, it's time to tackle the front. In order to achieve the full 50 degree steering, 16" of travel, and have all the clearances I need for 2.5" coilovers, I knew I had my work cut out for me. Before I started cutting anything, I ordered a 9" axle measuring tool as well as a Method MR101 to help with this process. I also went to Spidertrax and got as much input as I could from their tech support as well as used the front axle calculator they supply (highly recommended).
MR101.jpg
MR101 & BFG KM3.jpg

With all of that, I started mocking up the axle under the chassis to see if my initial pinion offset would suffice. Luckily through the years of mishaps, I measure twice and cut once (sometimes still not enough) but in this case I did moved the pinion offset to -8.5" over the initial -9.5". This helped with the clearances I needed for the lower mounts as the steering knuckle assemblies are just massive and take up a lot of tube space. With all of that said, I took a BUNCH of measurements and finally started cutting the axle tubes for our outer C's. NOTE: For WMS you have to add everything (2x unit bearing, 2x C depth, 2x knuckle) to get the correct measurements.
9 cut to length.jpg

Typically you'd "press" the outer C's onto the axle tube, unfortunately I don't have access to anything like that, so I improvised as I usually do. I took a belt sander to the outer edge of the axle tubes until I had enough clearance to literally beat the C's onto the tubes, it's basically press fit haha. Regardless, it was a long day but worth it as I was able to get the C's in the correct location as well as the desired caster angle.
9 knuckles.jpg
9 steering installed.jpg

After installing a unit bearing, I threw the axle back under the chassis with the MR101 and KM3 to brainstorm some more about all the mount locations. Initially tacked up some lower link mounts to verify a few things, to say the least, it's going to be snug, some custom brackets will be made in the processes, but definitely possible. Instead of pushing through, I decided to sit back, have a cold snack, and admire how far we've come. In these small moments, I get really excited about the finished result.
Front lower link mounts.jpg
4854.jpg

After a few long days in the garage, we got the front axle all mocked up. I started with adjusting the lower link brackets and the coilover mounts so they would work together. The goal was to mount the coilovers as low and wide as possible, because I wanted to utilize 16" coilovers versus 14" (chassis was designed around). Then moved to the upper link mounts and our truss/skid/hydraulic ram mount. I got the link separation we needed as well as the proper link angles we needed to keep the axle centered. I then used what 1.75" DOM scrap pieces I had left over to build a custom front skid which will in return help mount our PSC ram and help support the overall axle housing.
9 lower mounts.jpg
Front Upper Link Brackets.jpg
Front Ram.jpg

Next on the agenda was to build some templates for our high steer arms off the knuckles. I decided to add a plate that covers the entire top of the knuckle for strength versus plates off the front and added some bends to align with the ram. We'll go back and gusset everything and add a secondary shear point for the lower side later. The goal is to integrate everything together including our knuckle arms making everything as beefy as possible, but before I got too carried away, I wanted to make sure everything would work under the chassis.
Front Knuckle Arm.jpg
Front Axle Assembly.jpg
Chassis Axle install.jpg

After getting the axle under the chassis, I quickly realized I only have about 7" of up travel due to the height of the ram. Instead of redoing what I just finished, I made the wise decision to move forward. I'll go back and lower the ram when I finish the skid and integrated truss. Not to mention I still have bump stops, limit straps, and sway bars to account for. I got the axle squared and centered, our wheel base set at 115, and began making our links. Figured I could at least flex the axle under the chassis and make sure there were no other issues... which there were. Luckily nothing serious, At almost full bump, the upper links hit the mocked up engine mount arms. I knew this could possibly be an issue, so I had only tacked them into place initially. I still have to fine tune the driveline so they can be pushed back the 1/4" we need. I put the axle back at ride height and tacked on our chassis side coilover mounts. Had to massage my existing mounts to account for the 15 degree coilover angle, but was able to get the 16" coilover in there while maintaining approximately 9" of up travel.
Front Coilover Install.jpg
Front Bump.jpg

I really didn't want to go back and start lowering the ram just yet, I wanted to do something that made me feel more productive visually on the chassis. I decided to break out my old cardboard templates and start cutting some aluminum for the rear quarter panels. I flexed out the suspension, made some changes from my original template design, installed the 1/4 turn dzus tabs, slightly bent the needed edges and installed our new panels.
Rear Skins.jpg
Rear Profile.jpg

After a couple of days admiring the rear quarter panels, I decided to just finish the front as well. Did the best I could to keep everything aligned with the hood, however I'm sure with the fiberglass cowl/hood and aluminum panels, everything will change over time with racing, so I just got it close enough.
Front Skins.jpg
Rear Profile Full Skins.jpg

Now the wife thinks it looks like the Batmobile. Anyways, the overall stance of the chassis does look awesome with the full skins, just wish everything wasn't on backorder. Would be nice to have all of our wheels and tires installed to get the full effect. Regardless, we're still making progress.

I've been a little slack at keeping up with the build, however work life has been a little hectic, more so than usual. However, that didn't detest me from getting into the garage and cranking out what I could. The garage is my place to destress... most of the time lol.

After getting the exterior paneling done, I moved to the interior for the first time. Starting with the big paneling then onto the small panels, I was able to get most of the flooring and firewalls all completed. Going from the rear to the front, used my old templates to cut out my 3/16" aluminum panels, added the needed threaded tabs to the chassis, drilled my holes and countersunk everything for a nice clean finished look.
Rear Firewall.jpg
Front Floor.jpg
Front Firewall.jpg
Completed Firewall.jpg

After getting the flooring and firewalls figured out and installed, I needed to start working on the seat mounts. As you know early on I made the center support bar removable under the flooring to have access to the transmission, so I needed to come up with a design that would allow the same access by removing the seat mounts for easy access to the transfer case, driveshaft, etc. I threw the seats in the chassis to start brainstorming. I ended up using some DOM and created a "system" that allows both the seats to mount to as well as the harnesses. This design allows for the seats to pivot up if need be (get to the batteries), or removing everything with just a few 3/4" bolts.
Seat Mockup.jpg
Seat Mount System.jpg

Had to incorporate (2) mounting locations for the wife. I want her to be able to enjoy the steering wheel as well in the future.
Seats Install.jpg

Once I fine tuned the seating locations and mounts, I started mocking up the steering wheel and the dash. In theory, I wanted the dash to be multiple pieces, again for easy access to whatever and easy disassembly. So I mocked up a "face" for the dash and a rear panel that would connect to the chassis under the fiberglass cowl. Made a few sketches of what I wanted to achieve and was able to come up with an overall 3 piece dash design. A front panel that connects to the firewall of the chassis, a face of the dash for our gauges and switches, and a top with sides that bolts down directly onto the front and face panels. I used multiple nutserts and countersinks to achieve this, however the end result was exactly what I wanted. To make things even easier, I made (2) quick removable panels on top as well for quick access to our wiring.
Dash Layout.jpg
Dash Build 1.jpg
Dash Build 2.jpg
Dash Build 3.jpg
Dash Complete.jpg

After completing the dash, I used a sharpie to figure out where I would put everything. It quickly filled the dash face and I began to worry about where I would fit everything else. Luckily I never cut the face so my original design changed and I had to move a few things around. I fabricated the TMR passenger handle and got that installed while I worked on the ideal shifter placement. Once I got the transmission shifter where it felt comfortable, I basically boxed in an aluminum sheet for a center console that would incorporate the transmission shifter, transfer case shifters, as well as our kill switch. Since our batteries will be wired through the kill switch, I wanted this to be more permanent than the actual shifter console, so I hard mounted this to the chassis's dash bar.
Passenger Handle.jpg
Killswitch Install.jpg
Shifter Console.jpg
Shifter Install.jpg

The end result was honestly better than I expected it to turn out. The overall dash and console allows us to use (2) GPS head units, EFI Dash, switch panel, extra toggle switches if needed, communications, variable air pumper, kill switch, and a little 12v usb charger. Should be all we need to hit the track and trails.

Nice job guys! Doing the aluminum tin work is always super satisfying mid build!

Also I just ran into this last night in my 4800 build. Looks like the rugged air pumper variable switch is getting clearanced out and they have some different styles now. So would suck to dial that location in and not have support for that specific switch.

Nice job guys! Doing the aluminum tin work is always super satisfying mid build!

Also I just ran into this last night in my 4800 build. Looks like the rugged air pumper variable switch is getting clearanced out and they have some different styles now. So would suck to dial that location in and not have support for that specific switch.
Yes they did. We will more than likely use the new one as it does save some space. Same size as a rocker switch now. But let's be honest, typically you just turn it on max and forget it haha. Always options which I like.

With a lot of the big projects taken care of, it was time to start directing my attention to some of the critical components to keep Tinkerita in a positive direction. A while back I ordered a Griffin Radiator combo unit (with 16" Spal fans) on sale and it's been tempting me to install it. So with $20.00 in my pocket I picked up some rubber gasket material and a few 3/8" bolts from the local hardware store to help with the install. I unboxed the radiator and went right to work. Before I could get the radiator in its resting place, I first had to install our Jaz 45 degree filler neck on the fuel cell. This would allow me to fill the cell from our rear quarter panel (a part of U4 rules) and give me the space I needed for the radiator.
Griffin Radiator.jpg
Rad Mockup.jpg

After getting the rad mocked up, it was time to fab up some custom mounts. I used carboard for a starting template, then transposed it over to some scrap 1/8" plate. With a few cuts with the cutoff, I was able to create lower mounts that utilized 90 degree bends for additional weld surface to the chassis's W behind our heads. I added a little 1/2" piece to the back side to hold the radiator from moving around so much and used the rubber material as a barrier to protect from any metal to metal contact. After setting the radiator in the new lower mounts, the hard part was coming up with a design for the top which needed to bolt to the chassis. I used a similar design as the bottom for the top except instead of welding it to the chassis, I fabbed up another piece in which the mount bolted to. I slightly angled them down, so when you tighten the mounts, they act as a clamp on the radiator securing it in place. This turned out to be a nice clean alternative and gave me space for brake lights, amber lights, etc.
Rad Installed.jpg
Rad Mounts.jpg

Another reason for the radiator install was to get the final placement of everything so I could get a tire carrier fabricated. To keep on keeping on, I plotted a few ideas in how I wanted to carry a spare. To make things easier to visually see, I threw a spare tire on the back and strapped it down. I quickly realized with a spare permanently in the way, I was losing a lot of space that I could utilize. I decided to make a fold down design that will keep the tire up out of the way, but able to access stuff in the back once folded down. With some spare 1 1/4" tubing lying around, a couple of 3/4" heims, and scrap metal sheet, I created the initial design.
Tire Carrier Design.jpg

After playing with the angles a bit, I finally was happy with the initial mockup and started to add some additional strength to the design.
Tire Carrier Gussets.jpg

Now the hardest part about this whole thing was figuring out a way to install the tire in the "center". I decided to utilize a "spare" unit bearing on the carrier to hold the spare tire down and keep it centered. This will allow us to have a spare onboard for the long races such as KOH as well. Therefore I used some spacers and flat bar to put together a bearing cup. Although not completely perfect, it'll work well as a spare holder. To get it where it needed to be, I removed the carrier, put an old unit bearing in our wheel/tire combo, installed the cup and tacked the cup in its place. I took a few additional scrap pieces and made gussets to secure it to the carrier.
Unit Bearing Box.jpg
Unit Bearing Install.jpg
Unit Bearing Gussets.jpg

To hold the carrier in the "up" position, I used 1/2" t-handle pins on both sides to keep it from moving. Not super happy with how the initial t-handles came out, I later cut them off and used leftover tubing instead of the flat bar. It made the overall design more appealing and stronger. To complete the look of the carrier, I wanted to incorporate a radiused bar on the rear to help with tire support. Unfortunately I do not have a tubing roller so I did what I do best and improvised. I cut the bar I was going to use 6" longer on both sides so I could use my press and press down in 1" increments to my desired radius. To keep it straight, I added a c-clamp to the end of the bar and a degree finder to make sure I pressed in the same degree every time. Pressing 4-5 times in each 1" placement, the bar turned out pretty close. I did have to go back and press in a few places to made both sides equal, but the end result was exactly what I wanted. I then cut off the excess off both sides and added a couple 1/8" gussets to keep this secure as well.
Spare Unit Bearing.jpg
Tire Carrier Overview.jpg

The last thing I needed to incorporate was something to keep it from rotating around. Although snug with lug nuts installed, I wanted to make sure it was as secure as possible. Brainstorming with my wife, she mentioned straps and later got me a Y-strap from Speedstrap to incorporate with the carrier which would complete this portion of the build. I used some 1/4" plate and cut out some tie downs for the Speedstrap. After adjusting the strap and installing the tie downs, the Y-strap completed the spare tire carrier build. Not only did it take care of the rotating, it presses the tire down onto the rear chassis crossbar, and it also adds additional space for PRP's tire storage.
Tire Carrier Speed Strap.jpg

The end result was perfect. It allows us to carry a spare unit bearing which results in studs/bolts and lug nuts, a spare tire, spare 3/4" LH and RH heims (our steering), folds down for easy tire removal, able to access storage underneath, and adds the additional PRP wheel storage with the Y-strap.

Another reason for the radiator install was to get the final placement of everything so I could get a tire carrier fabricated. To keep on keeping on, I plotted a few ideas in how I wanted to carry a spare. To make things easier to visually see, I threw a spare tire on the back and strapped it down. I quickly realized with a spare permanently in the way, I was losing a lot of space that I could utilize. I decided to make a fold down design that will keep the tire up out of the way, but able to access stuff in the back once folded down. With some spare 1 1/4" tubing lying around, a couple of 3/4" heims, and scrap metal sheet, I created the initial design.
Tire Carrier Design.jpg

After playing with the angles a bit, I finally was happy with the initial mockup and started to add some additional strength to the design.
Tire Carrier Gussets.jpg

Now the hardest part about this whole thing was figuring out a way to install the tire in the "center". I decided to utilize a "spare" unit bearing on the carrier to hold the spare tire down and keep it centered. This will allow us to have a spare onboard for the long races such as KOH as well. Therefore I used some spacers and flat bar to put together a bearing cup. Although not completely perfect, it'll work well as a spare holder. To get it where it needed to be, I removed the carrier, put an old unit bearing in our wheel/tire combo, installed the cup and tacked the cup in its place. I took a few additional scrap pieces and made gussets to secure it to the carrier.
Unit Bearing Box.jpg
Unit Bearing Install.jpg
Unit Bearing Gussets.jpg

To hold the carrier in the "up" position, I used 1/2" t-handle pins on both sides to keep it from moving. Not super happy with how the initial t-handles came out, I later cut them off and used leftover tubing instead of the flat bar. It made the overall design more appealing and stronger. To complete the look of the carrier, I wanted to incorporate a radiused bar on the rear to help with tire support. Unfortunately I do not have a tubing roller so I did what I do best and improvised. I cut the bar I was going to use 6" longer on both sides so I could use my press and press down in 1" increments to my desired radius. To keep it straight, I added a c-clamp to the end of the bar and a degree finder to make sure I pressed in the same degree every time. Pressing 4-5 times in each 1" placement, the bar turned out pretty close. I did have to go back and press in a few places to made both sides equal, but the end result was exactly what I wanted. I then cut off the excess off both sides and added a couple 1/8" gussets to keep this secure as well.
Spare Unit Bearing.jpg
Tire Carrier Overview.jpg

The last thing I needed to incorporate was something to keep it from rotating around. Although snug with lug nuts installed, I wanted to make sure it was as secure as possible. Brainstorming with my wife, she mentioned straps and later got me a Y-strap from Speedstrap to incorporate with the carrier which would complete this portion of the build. I used some 1/4" plate and cut out some tie downs for the Speedstrap. After adjusting the strap and installing the tie downs, the Y-strap completed the spare tire carrier build. Not only did it take care of the rotating, it presses the tire down onto the rear chassis crossbar, and it also adds additional space for PRP's tire storage.
Tire Carrier Speed Strap.jpg

The end result was perfect. It allows us to carry a spare unit bearing which results in studs/bolts and lug nuts, a spare tire, spare 3/4" LH and RH heims (our steering), folds down for easy tire removal, able to access storage underneath, and adds the additional PRP wheel storage with the Y-strap.
so i had a spare tire mounted with lug studs and i found it to be a royal pain in the ass trying to put it back on the studs. i mean royal pain. i would just do the hub and no studs.
my two cents.

you will get nerfed, the studs/hub will bend, wailing and gnashing of teeth on course chaining a flat, get another tube to protect the tire from impact.

so i had a spare tire mounted with lug studs and i found it to be a royal pain in the ass trying to put it back on the studs. i mean royal pain. i would just do the hub and no studs.
my two cents.
I was able to acquire bolts long enough to bolt through with 1/16" gap from the bearing face however interferes with the back of the lug studs, therefore eliminating the hub from freely spinning making mounting much easier. I had the same issue before, this was my simple quick solution.

you will get nerfed, the studs/hub will bend, wailing and gnashing of teeth on course chaining a flat, get another tube to protect the tire from impact.
Thank you for the input. The rear bar sticks out far enough, I could possibly add some tubing there. Only time will tell, right now we're crunched for time before September/October races.

As we hit 100 days before the attempt of our first race, there's still so much to get accomplished. Although a lot of the big fabrication items are complete, I'm still trying to get the smaller ones taken care of so we can finish welding up the chassis. In order to do that I tackle the front "bumper" next. Luckily this project was quicker and easier to fabricate. I wanted something removable, easily fixable, and incorporate additional spare heims. I used tube clamps for the base design and built from there.
Front Bar Design.jpg
Front Bar Overall.jpg

After taking a few measurements, I got the initial design all mocked up. I then moved to how we'd attach to the top to the chassis. I wanted a design that would allow me to keep the front grill attached. So we went through the gill without cutting anything. I liked the clean look of the grill. Added a few smaller tubes and gussets, then narrowed the front bar and capped it, last thing was to add the small heims (sway bar spares) and mounts.
Front Bar Capped.jpg
Front Bar Gussets.jpg
Front Bar Installed.jpg

In the end, its something that will provide some protection, easily removable/rebuildable, and utilizes additional small spare parts.

While working on this bumper, I was able to land a pretty complete LS1 for a killer deal. We'll just change directions and run this until we can throw some real power at it in the future.
LS1.jpg

With the new LS1 and received drivetrain/driveline parts, I figured it was time to go back and rework the front axle so we can start getting the new LS1 installed in its final resting place without any clearance issues. Originally the ram mount I fabricated was too tall on top of the axle, not allowing full bump before the ram clevis bolts would hit the chassis. To eliminate this issue, I lowered the front bar down 1.5" which would allow more than enough clearance. With a lot of back and forth under the chassis and back on the stands, I got it all where it needed to be and started internally gusseting and plating the front truss/ram mount. I welded each section separately tying it all together to build strength and rigidity to the overall design.
Front Axle Internal Gussets.jpg
Front Axle Welded.jpg

After that, I had to work on the ram mounts on top. Unlike most who use only 3 clamps, I went the extra mile to make sure I had the forth clamp on there for symmetry. By using a stud bolt welded to the 9" housing, I was able to incorporate the last clamp. I also finished plating and capping off everything on the top truss.
Front Axle Ram Install.jpg

To finalize everything on the front axle, I had to mock up a double shear knuckle design. Utilizing the designs from Spidertrax, I was able to come up with something similar for these S&S knuckles. With a little bending on the press and careful cardboard designing, I was able to figure out a way to add strength and functionality to the overall double shear design. Although not fully welded yet, I want to make sure no changes are needed before we burn it all in.
Front Axle Double Shear Brackets.jpg

With the front axle all but complete, I stripped the chassis down to finalize the drivetrain which included removing the old 5.3 iron block we used for mock up purposes.
Drivetrain Removal.jpg

The last thing had to do before putting everything back in the chassis was adjust the front upper control arm mounts. They were originally too high and rotated out too much which caused clearance issues at full bump. I simply moved them down 1" and rotated them in towards the front axle which allowed enough clearance to obtain full bump. Problem solved and time for the new components.

Top Back Refresh