What's new

Leaf springs sacked?

IDASHO

Member Number
Leafpacks are US made aftermarket units, rated at 4400lbs per side. With the big camper, we have just about 7k on the rear axle, so well under the rated 8800lbs.

During an inspection and tire rotation I noticed the leafs. They are less than a year old and have less than 7500 miles on them. Empty they seem to have sagged barely 1/2”. Empty, as shown in the photos, the rear axle has about 4000lbs on it. Didnt measure loaded, and have no intention of loading the camper just to measure…. yet.

The leafs have a slight but obvious W shape now.
Should I be concerned about this?
Whats the consensus?
IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

Depends?

Mine are used, and didnt look like that when i put them in. 8 years and many 2ton loads they now look like yours. I'm changing them out for a heavier set when i find time.

Look pretty sagged to me for being empty, riding right on the bottom overload.

I'm surprised you don't have the top bumper type over loads for running a camper.

Looks clapped to me, or it's not bumped properly. Should be bumped so it can't go past flat.

Its within 3/4" of factory ride height
Air bags are internally jousted.

Here they are prior to install.

Thanks all for the comments so far.
Ill reach out to the MFG and see what they have to say.

53013177026_9444d6d216_b.jpg

Last edited:
Main and second leaves should have been 1/16” thicker, third leaf should have been 1-1/2” longer, and there should have been one additional leaf between it and what is currently the fourth leaf.

I'm surprised you don't have the top bumper type over loads for running a camper.
Pretty sure you don't want to have that when running air bags? Use one or other, not both at same time.

IDASHO why the new leaf spring set? what truck? Did you forgot to add air in air bags at one point and allowed rear end to fully squatted? That can easily was all it took for to leaf spring to overtravel and deformed if it wasn't bumpstopped correctly.

Truck is a 2011 F250
Far as I can tell, there is literally no way for the setup to overtravel. Leafs are essentially oem spec but with a higher load rating.

Ive edited previous post to clarify bump stop situation. Bags are Airlift bags with internal joust/bumps and are installed as per mfg. They replace the bump stops and they are designed with ability to run with zero psi due to the bumps, but I never run them that low. They always have 10-15psi or so in them.

And even with no air in them, there is likely only a few inches of travel anyhow :homer:

Top Back Refresh