What's new

Leaf spring questions

Salts

Member Number
So I'm in the middle of building an m715. The usual stuff, tons, 12v cummins, np205. I used a late 37 spline sterling and the springs it came with. Just took the pack apart and used the two 67 inch leafs (something something 3 inches wide, 300lb/in poop on 63s). After reading some dusty threads on pirate i tried to model the springs in a 4 link calculator. Never used one and im new to suspension design.
Does this look even remotely correct? And what do the numbers mean in the real world? Additionally if i ran trac bars would the become my lower link and the springs the upper??

some more context, the upper link measurement is from the spring eye to the top of the pack. The lower link measurement is from the spring eye to the axle center line.

photo33688.jpg

Does this look even remotely correct?

Short answer is no. The four link calculator is not able to handle leaf springs. Nor is most suspension design software.

The best approximation I can think of for modeling them is to find the point at the intersection of a vertical line through the wheel center and the line between the two frame mounts. The axle end of the links go here. Next find the point that is 3/8 the spring length along the frame mount line in the direction of the fixed (non-shackle end). Put the frame ends of the links here, with the Y coordinates being slightly different.

This will give you an accurate roll center, anti-squat will be a bit off but not enough get anywhere near crossing over 100%, the value where behavior changes. Roll axis angle won't be accurate. It should go without saying that the travel utility won't be of any accuracy.

And what do the numbers mean in the real world?

Here is a thread from general 4x4 that goes over what stuff is and some of what it does.
https://irate4x4.com/general-4x4/212809-linked-suspension-bible#post213731
The info should be in the terms and geometry sections.

Additionally if i ran trac bars would the become my lower link and the springs the upper??

I can't claim to know enough about leaf springs to be able to answer this, but maybe to some degree.

Top Back Refresh