What's new

Lazar cleaning machine

Will something like that work through the real tough scaled metallic rust that you get on thicker metal?

Looks like you'd want a big machine to do thick rust.

There are so many different machines out there and in different power ranges. There is also pulsed and non-pulsed lasers. They say the pulsed is a lot better at removing paint and powdercoat, especially light colors.

So I wonder if you are cleaning something and you hit a spot that is sure enough a mirror. Does it reflect the the beam back at you?

So I wonder if you are cleaning something and you hit a spot that is sure enough a mirror. Does it reflect the the beam back at you?

I would guess it could.

You do have to wear laser light blocking glasses and if I'm understanding it right, they need to be a particular shade depending on your machine's output.

Yes, but the wavelengths most of these run at don't do much on organics. Eg a 1064 yag won't do crap for engaving wood. You can apparantly use it for tattoo removal, been trying to get my friend to let me try it on him :laughing:

But you should always be wearing high end glasses with these. Even if it doesnt appear reflective it still reflects and you can't see it, then you're blind.

I've been wanting to get in to vapor honing. VHT is located on the other side of the state. I've been meaning to make some time to get over there and bring some parts for them to give me a demo. Depending on media and pressure, you can do anything from heavy stripping to full on polishing. Their small hobby machine can be had for around a grand and for a couple/few grand you can get a mid-size commercial quality cabinet.
I'm not sure if you remember seeing their ads on here 2yrs ago, but I helped them with a few things and gave them ad space in exchange for their upgraded Weekend Warrior cabinet. So I have one sitting win the corner of the shop thats never been used because they take a shit ton of CFM, 25-30 which is far more than my compressor is capable of.

My experience is that any "wet" process does not lend itself well to doing "nice" parts unless you have an industrial environment where you're doing shit in batches then cleaning it in batches.
They do nice parts as well if you find their channel on YouTube, they have media suggestions for all types of materials/finishes. Honestly I think the only reason people dismiss their product is because their videos/marketing are all done by what looks like their kids (maybe I'm getting old). Other than that, from what I've researched they are pretty sweet.

I have a ton of small parts that will need to be done towards the end of my build so I've been planning to upgrade my compressor by then.

But for the $3-4k price tag on a compressor (I want a quiet scroll or screw type) ... You guys got me thinking now ... I could sell the vapor cabinet, skip the compressor and get a laser for that much. Then I could do parts outside of the cabinet like my frame and stuff. I don't have a ton of use for a compressor that big anyway.

OK following this. :beer:

They do nice parts as well if you find their channel on YouTube, they have media suggestions for all types of materials/finishes. Honestly I think the only reason people dismiss their product is because their videos/marketing are all done by what looks like their kids (maybe I'm getting old). Other than that, from what I've researched they are pretty sweet.
I don't mean they can't do it. I mean that the added labor to do cleanup of wet grit vs dry grit kinda comes back around to get you unless you're cleaning stuff in high volume with some sort of process that makes doing a good job of that quick and easy.

Then I could do parts outside of the cabinet like my frame and stuff.
Sure, you can abrasive blast with a pressure pot outside, but that's a different kind of mess - and other issues if you're not somewhere that is warm and dry most of the year.

Brent just did this video:

Jump ahead to the 21 minute mark for the laser cleaning. To clean something like that, you'd either have to disassemble it to get it into a cabinet, do it outside with a pressure pot, or spend the money to take it somewhere with a big enough cabinet/room to do it.

EDIT: Also that it is focused. With abrasive blasting or vapor honing you're going to get everything covered with grit or water. So back to disassembling things that you don't want involved in the process. With this you just don't do that part or area.

After his shop fire, I can certainly see why Brent spent the money on this although, as Austin says, you're into a similar range of money with a big boy compressor and abrasive or vapor blaster. You're probably in a different market than a Harbor Freight compressor and blast cabinet if you're considering this, vapor honing, or similar options.

ANOTHER EDIT: At the 48 minute mark he starts giving his thoughts on using the laser cleaner and does some trials on different materials and offers some tips he's discovered so far.

Last edited:
Everlast is bring out a line of laser welder, cutter, and cleaning machines. Looks really interesting they only have one now but are planning on a few different power levels

Everlast is bring out a line of laser welder, cutter, and cleaning machines. Looks really interesting they only have one now but are planning on a few different power levels

So what you're saying is that in 5yr all the big brands will make them and in 10yr I can buy one from China at a reasonable price? :laughing:

So what you're saying is that in 5yr all the big brands will make them and in 10yr I can buy one from China at a reasonable price? :laughing:

Everlast already = China import with a US phone number and support

I'm hoping 2-5 years home fiber laser cnc table setup at higher hobby end cnc plasma prices easily swap out setups to clean rust and weld all off the same power source

Everlast already = China import with a US phone number and support
Yep, halfway decent quality and a decent warranty as well as a sales guy who hangs out on various forums.

Mine hasn't let me down since I bought it in 2018.
I'm hoping 2-5 years home fiber laser cnc table setup at higher hobby end cnc plasma prices easily swap out setups to clean rust and weld all off the same power source
It would be nice.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh