What's new

Lazar cleaning machine

I have looked at them

1. expensive
2. how long does the consumable parts last
3. who doesn't want something like this ?

$5300 for the 1000w one, going up to about $9k for the 3000w machine. Not as bad as I would have expected, but still tough to swallow for a home gamer.

I've been wanting to get in to vapor honing. VHT is located on the other side of the state. I've been meaning to make some time to get over there and bring some parts for them to give me a demo. Depending on media and pressure, you can do anything from heavy stripping to full on polishing. Their small hobby machine can be had for around a grand and for a couple/few grand you can get a mid-size commercial quality cabinet.

Any of you guys got experience with these?
Only from watching YT videos and such. It does look interesting.

Obviously, there are advantages, but I'm wondering how you'd best set yourself apart from the typical abrasive blasting services if you got a machine and started providing the service? An entry point of $5K to $10K isn't unreasonable for a small shop. You'd be competing against places with an air compressor and sandblast cabinet.

Consumables? Educate me.
you can't ask a question, when I ask the question

1702598880003.png

I've been wanting to get in to vapor honing. VHT is located on the other side of the state. I've been meaning to make some time to get over there and bring some parts for them to give me a demo. Depending on media and pressure, you can do anything from heavy stripping to full on polishing. Their small hobby machine can be had for around a grand and for a couple/few grand you can get a mid-size commercial quality cabinet.

My experience is that any "wet" process does not lend itself well to doing "nice" parts unless you have an industrial environment where you're doing shit in batches then cleaning it in batches.

I'd stick to dry media blasting for nice stuff and "stand'er up by the retaining wall and have a go with the pressure washer" for the nasty stuff.

My experience is that any "wet" process does not lend itself well to doing "nice" parts unless you have an industrial environment where you're doing shit in batches then cleaning it in batches.

I'd stick to dry media blasting for nice stuff and "stand'er up by the retaining wall and have a go with the pressure washer" for the nasty stuff.

This just ductless blasting but on a cabinet scale. Vapor term is shit but it's wet sandblasting with a added component of water.

This just ductless blasting but on a cabinet scale. Vapor term is shit but it's wet sandblasting with a added component of water.

Exactly. And that's why I think it's dumb. That shit doesn't lend itself well to "cabinet scale" unless you're running a few dozen parts through the cabinet and into the dishwasher to clean the residual wet dust off. At that point you may as well have used soft media like wallnut. I get that this is less clog prone than anything with media but for the cost is it really worth it? And you lose the ability to just let stuff sit after blasting but before cleaning because of the moisture that needs to be dealt with before corrosion forms.

For cleaning up shit in ones and twos I'll just stick with dry media.

The laser shit actually seems more useful to me but the price is too much at present IMO.

Obviously we're talking about "nice" parts that you don't just wanna chase around the driveway with a pressure washer. :laughing:

In retrospect I really wish I had a shitty dishwasher and shitty electric oven in the shop. Dishwasher for real nasty shit. Oven for baking oil off and drying shit. If it's still dirty after that then it goes in the sandblaster. I think the combination of those three is capable of doing 99.9% of nice jobs with pretty minimal labor input.

Exactly. And that's why I think it's dumb. That shit doesn't lend itself well to "cabinet scale" unless you're running a few dozen parts through the cabinet and into the dishwasher to clean the residual wet dust off. At that point you may as well have used soft media like wallnut. I get that this is less clog prone than anything with media but for the cost is it really worth it? And you lose the ability to just let stuff sit after blasting but before cleaning because of the moisture that needs to be dealt with before corrosion forms.

The laser shit actually seems more useful to me but the price is too much at present IMO.

Obviously we're talking about "nice" parts that you don't just wanna chase around the driveway with a pressure washer. :laughing:

In retrospect I really wish I had a shitty dishwasher and shitty electric oven in the shop. Dishwasher for real nasty shit. Oven for baking oil off and drying shit. If it's still dirty after that then it goes in the sandblaster. I think the combination of those three is capable of doing 99.9% of nice jobs with pretty minimal labor input.

The benefit of wet blasting like this, from what I've seen, is you can calibrate the media and pressures to give you better finish quality and they claim you don't actually abrade the surface like dry blasting. I've seen examples where they can "clean" a machined surface without affecting the surface finish and quality of said machined surface.

The benefit of wet blasting like this, from what I've seen, is you can calibrate the media and pressures to give you better finish quality and they claim you don't actually abrade the surface like dry blasting. I've seen examples where they can "clean" a machined surface without affecting the surface finish and quality of said machined surface.
I converted a HF blast cabinet to wet blasting, it puts a beautiful finish on brass and aluminum. The little bit of steel I tried had a better finish than dry blasting but, it's slow.

Had an old commercial one in the small engine shop. Worked well... just don't do a dumb and put simple green in it though

They remove tattoos with machines like that too. Zaps the ink right in your dermis, your body absorbs the tiny particles.

9k will buy a lot of wire wheels and flap disks.

I could see that being useful in high volume contracts.

My, I'd never get anything done trying to see what i could set on fire

9k will buy a lot of wire wheels and flap disks.

I could see that being useful in high volume contracts.

My, I'd never get anything done trying to see what i could set on fire

I'd buy a dry ice blaster before this.

I like the idea of it a lot but it looks pretty slow

Watching this, I'd say it has potential. His is a 1500W machine.

I like the idea of it a lot but it looks pretty slow

Not from what he is showing... Also, that it attacks not only the rust, but also grease, dirt, bondo, and other crud, so you don't have to put it through the parts washer first. He says what he is doing in the video is at 500W to 1000W and it seems at least as fast as abrasive blasting.

Unfortunately, the one he links to shows as sold out, so I'm not sure of the price on it: Amazon.com

In the video he mentions the price has gone up since he bought his and he mentions someone else paying $5K for one. Some searching brought up prices in the $7500 range.

I've used my fiber yag laser for cleaning small stuff. If it fits on the bed you can do a quick scan pattern and it does a decent job. Works well for small stuff like pliers, wrenchs and small parts.

The laser is still setup in the house though, so I haven't tried too much as it sets off the smoke alarm sometimes. Once I get it moved to the shop I'll do a lot more playing

I converted a HF blast cabinet to wet blasting, it puts a beautiful finish on brass and aluminum. The little bit of steel I tried had a better finish than dry blasting but, it's slow.
I've been thinking about doing the same. My son has been rebuilding ATV's and dirtbikes to make $$ and these look like the way to clean engines and gear cases. Can you please start a thead on how you did it and what works best? thanks!

$5300 for the 1000w one, going up to about $9k for the 3000w machine. Not as bad as I would have expected, but still tough to swallow for a home gamer.

That's not bad at all, when they first hit commercially they were $50-100K.

I built one for just over $2K and $1500 of that was for a new Grizzly blast cabinet. Will grab pics of it later this week.

If you watch the whole video, he points that thing at a wall 40 feet away and starts a fire right away. That has some real potential for mayhem. Wonder about the 3000 watt machine. I wonder if they have a “Binford 6000”.

Just ask the survivors from Lahina....
tinfoil-hat.gif

Will something like that work through the real tough scaled metallic rust that you get on thicker metal?

If you hosed it down first, I'll bet the steam will pop a lot of it.
Then I'd have a wet mess that can't be easily cleaned up with a vacuum and/or pressurized air which defeats most of the point of sandblasting.

Might as well throw it in chemicals in the ultrasonic cleaner at that point.

Top Back Refresh