What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Lathe specs help

Blacksheep10

Member Number
Went to get lathe from a deceased member's widow, didn't take enough trailer or loader. This is a big old unit and a nice piece. Trying to help her list it on FBMP and don't know what size to call the tooling and QCTP. Little searching seems like it might be a 300 series? Wish I knew anything about this stuff. Roughly 4.5" or less out to out, didn't get a height on tool post.

Pics
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg

And really, overall help IDing this beast. Didn't get SN, don't know where to look. The tape is on the closest way, and is about 11.25 to center of through hole, 2.125 through hole,
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg

Your pictures suck. :flipoff2: Get a pic of the whole machine and one of the front of the headstock with all the levers and controls.

Looks like a 21 or 22" x 54 or 60" based on similar models I'm finding.

This one is listed as a 21"/22.25" x 72 and looks very similar. Says it's a model "F21"
1700107650706.png

That fucker will tear into some metal. 7.5 hp motor is no joke on that thing. Sounds like you need it.

Why is there a gaping hole in the gear case cover? With wires that look like DRO wires coming out of it? Since it's not coated in oil, I would assume that there isn't any oil in the gearcase.

Something fell on the top of it DRO holder. It also fell on the electric box and bent the housing but didn’t affect any of the wiring inside. It also hit the top wiring tap box on the motor and cracked the motor mount. All are easy fixes, it happened during transit from California

I’ll have her snap a picture, it is inside of a shipping container so you can’t get back away from it very well

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Lathes without live tooling are limited by the single cutting point long before they're limited by power.
How do you instantly know when someone is talking out of their ass.....

There is a relationship between horsepower and material removal rate. At a point it does become a none issue but 7.5 hp isn't it

Lathes without live tooling are limited by the single cutting point long before they're limited by power.

LoL 7.5hp is nothing for single point tooling...hell, I can (sadly) stall my little baby lathe with 2.25hp without even getting close to the max chip load of my tiny AXA sized tooling.

The MRR permitted by 7.5hp is going to result in either really high SFM or a really thick chip.

You're gonna have a hard time threading the needle.

You can definitely do it in textbook land or production "break tools until we get it right" setting but for the low part counts a hobbyist is running and rarity of large billet stock (that can soak up a lot of heat) in a hobby environment I think it's gonna be nigh on impossible and in practice you'll never run out of power.

I'm assuming steel here BTW.

The MRR permitted by 7.5hp is going to result in either really high SFM or a really thick chip.

You're gonna have a hard time threading the needle.

You can definitely do it in textbook land or production "break tools until we get it right" setting but for the low part counts a hobbyist is running and rarity of large billet stock (that can soak up a lot of heat) in a hobby environment I think it's gonna be nigh on impossible and in practice you'll never run out of power.

I'm assuming steel here BTW.

Wut? The stock should not be soaking up the heat. The heat goes in to the chip.

Here's a .300 DOC on a 10hp 16" Birmingham. Pretty sure he managed to stall it out at least once in this video.

Wut? The stock should not be soaking up the heat. The heat goes in to the chip.
Some always goes into the stock though and it adds up. Call it 1% or 5% or whatever. 5% of 7.5hp worth of chips is still a lot of heat. Not gonna matter with a big billet but the smaller tubes and rounds and already machined parts that us automotive enthusiasts tend to work with won't like it nearly as much.

Nobody takes a video of a normal day to put on YouTube. And what NYCCNC and the people he hangs out with can do on their first try should not be considered representative of what a novice can expect to accomplish reliably.

A few of us know.
Hit a moose on your way to work.

Why is there a gaping hole in the gear case cover? With wires that look like DRO wires coming out of it? Since it's not coated in oil, I would assume that there isn't any oil in the gearcase.
Read again, the DRO holder was mounted to top of case, when something fell in transit the arm had the leverage to break a chunk out. Wires were unhooked from DRO and draped over top. Oil in gear case though.

Read again, the DRO holder was mounted to top of case, when something fell in transit the arm had the leverage to break a chunk out. Wires were unhooked from DRO and draped over top. Oil in gear case though.
Ok, that makes sense. I can see shit shifting around in a container loading and unloading it. If you need help with it, let me know.

oh that's lilyota's lathe

american lathes are rated in size by the size of a cylinder you can turn between centers, over the cross slide
so measure from the cross slide to the center in the tail stock for half of your 'swing', then measure from the spindle to the tailstock with the tailstock all the way back for the "length"
generally you get an extra inch or two in 'actual' swing over that the 'catalog' swing figure is

So that's definitely like the pic I posted earlier. They're calling an "F21" but I can't find a reference to a Lablond model called that outside of that listing.

Bed length is measured between centers (if you had a center in both the headstock and tailstock) so based on the measurement pics you first posted, it looks like it's roughly the 72" bed length minus about 18" for the tailstock longth.....so 54".

I'd just list it as a Leblond Regal 21' swing x 54" between centers and include the pics of the measurements you have.

Thank you guys. I wish it weren’t over 2 hours away, I’d fab up a motor mount to make it run. That will increase the value significantly

I'd just list it as a Leblond Regal 21' swing x 54" between centers and include the pics of the measurements you have.
I'd bet on it actually being a 16" swing in the catalog, but that isn't me taking the time to look up catalog numbers

Idk why this comment is getting so much hate, apparently just posting brings out the members with seething hatred for you :flipoff2:

7.5hp is more than enough for the type of person who's buying this, and arsehole's point stands. The majority of people will be limited by their tooling long before the power is an issue. Especially when you're a hobbyist trying to make tooling last and don't want to be making a mortgage payment to MSCDirect for inserts.

I'd bet on it actually being a 16" swing in the catalog, but that isn't me taking the time to look up catalog numbers

I'm just going off what others I found were listed as. If he can find the data tag or model number stamped on it it'd be a lot easier to narrow down.

Rent a trailer and drag it on with pipes? I don’t think it’s gonna bring much but it’s probably a nice machine.

Top Back Refresh