What's new

Lasik Eye Surgery

Boss

Rabble-Rouser
Member Number
Loc
Salem Oregon
More specifically, bilateral lasik with monovision. Has anyone here had it? I'm looking at doing this.

For those who don't know what it is, the dominant eye gets corrected for distance and the other eye gets corrected for reading. Your brain chooses what eye to use for a task. I'm concerned with any side affects. IE depth perception???.

My father got it years ago. He doesn't complain. Sometimes he makes a pirate face while looking far or reading close. I dont think he regrets it. Being around him a ton, ive never noticed a positive or negative.

Not sure in your case, but I have been blind in my right eye since 1970. I asked an eye doctor why I am capable of doing all the things I have done, shooting, walking red iron, racing cars, and he told me beyond 20 feet IIRC depth perception is nonexistent anyway, that my brain automatically compares known distances, just like I would do with 2 eyes.

Not sure about the two eye setup but did the normal one last year and couldn’t be more happy. If you do anything outdoors it beats the hell out of glass or contacts.

I had mine done about 10 years ago. Same deal, bilateral correction with mono vision. After wearing glasses and contacts since I was in the 3rd grade, Lasik is hands down the best money I ever spent on myself. Depth perception can be a little wonky at times. Usually I just have to take a few seconds and focus. Backing a trailer is where I notice it the most, so I tend to get out and check alot. Overall, no regrets.

I basically have that going on, only with contact lenses. one of my eyes is so fucked up there is no contact prescription at the number I need, so I could only get the prescription value that was "close enough". They said, "oh you'll get used to having one eye that sees better at distances and one better for close up like reading" Day to day it only pisses me off if I think about it and pay attention to what I am seeing. Things are both sharp and blurry at the same time, like imagine seeing a sharp object with a fuzz around it, if that makes any sense. It does not help with up close details, like reading. Wearing reading glasses helps, but even then I still notice that one eye just isn't quite right.

I'd rather have both eyes be dialed in for one situation, and have to throw on glasses for others. None of this half and half bullshit.

While not Lasik I just went the mono vision route through contacts to try it out. Personally I didn't like it. The close in was fine but the distance wasn't what I needed. After a month of that I just went for distance and readers when I need them and it is working for me way better. I sure am happy the eye doc suggested a trial run before surgery.

One of the owners sons did this 3 months ago one eye distance one for close up he says it is weird but overall happy with the outcome I personally would rather be able to see distance I am nearsided and find that these days I actually remove my glasses for better detail for tiny things like screw hardware tap and thread or remote and electric circuit boards for remote control roof systems.

More specifically, bilateral lasik with monovision. Has anyone here had it? I'm looking at doing this.

For those who don't know what it is, the dominant eye gets corrected for distance and the other eye gets corrected for reading. Your brain chooses what eye to use for a task. I'm concerned with any side affects. IE depth perception???.

I didn't have Lasik, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The doctor asked if I wanted one eye far and the other near. I told him no, I wanted both far because I 4 wheel and if I got dust in the far eye I couldn't see where I was going with the near eye. It was a safety situation for me. I haven't regretted the decision.

I didn't have Lasik, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The doctor asked if I wanted one eye far and the other near. I told him no, I wanted both far because I 4 wheel and if I got dust in the far eye I couldn't see where I was going with the near eye. It was a safety situation for me. I haven't regretted the decision.

Didn't know they made rascal scooters that 4wheel. :stirthepot:

I had bilateral lasik about 10 years ago and I haven't had any issues until recently. I'm 52 and have started to require reading glasses, but that's due to age and not an effect of the lasik. Man I hated wearing contact lenses back in the day. Lasik was life-altering for me.

Fuck NO! They fucked up my left eye and it wasn't 20/20 like the right. I had fucking headaches for a couple years afterwards. Need to get the left touched up because it's getting bad but I'm concerned that if it gets 20/20 it will give me headaches again till my brain figures it out again.

My dad had that exact procedure done in '03 and doesn't regret a thing. Before he would have to wear glasses doing everything and anything and after a short adjustment he put the glasses away for good.

I tried that with contacts. I have worn contacts/glasses all my life to see distance. When I started to need readers the optometrist suggested I give it a trY (one close up lens, one distant) and I gave it a solid couple months before deciding I don't like the compromise so I went back to two lenses for distance and just use readers when I need them (which is a lot these days)

I looked at it and decided not to. Right now I can see really really good up close and not so good far away. They let me try one contact to see how I liked it.

It made it where I couldn’t see as good up close and only okay far away.

I stuck with my natural good up close vision and wear glasses when I drive mainly at night.

I had been wearing glasses since 8th grade; before lasik my up-close vision was good enough to read most things without glasses. I opted to have one eye corrected and the other left alone to give "mono-vision" a trial run. I couldn't stand it; I gave it a little over a month before scheduling my 2nd eye for distance vision as well.

If that is an option for you, I highly recommend it; mono-vision isn't for everyone. If it's not an option I recommend getting a pair of glasses made to correct one eye for distance and the other eye for reading and wear them for a month or so before surgery; make sure you're going to like it before you do it. Lasik is kind of a permanent thing :laughing:

I basically have that going on, only with contact lenses. one of my eyes is so fucked up there is no contact prescription at the number I need, so I could only get the prescription value that was "close enough". They said, "oh you'll get used to having one eye that sees better at distances and one better for close up like reading" Day to day it only pisses me off if I think about it and pay attention to what I am seeing. Things are both sharp and blurry at the same time, like imagine seeing a sharp object with a fuzz around it, if that makes any sense. It does not help with up close details, like reading. Wearing reading glasses helps, but even then I still notice that one eye just isn't quite right.

I'd rather have both eyes be dialed in for one situation, and have to throw on glasses for others. None of this half and half bullshit.
I tried that with contacts. I have worn contacts/glasses all my life to see distance. When I started to need readers the optometrist suggested I give it a trY (one close up lens, one distant) and I gave it a solid couple months before deciding I don't like the compromise so I went back to two lenses for distance and just use readers when I need them (which is a lot these days)
I had been wearing glasses since 8th grade; before lasik my up-close vision was good enough to read most things without glasses. I opted to have one eye corrected and the other left alone to give "mono-vision" a trial run. I couldn't stand it; I gave it a little over a month before scheduling my 2nd eye for distance vision as well.

If that is an option for you, I highly recommend it; mono-vision isn't for everyone. If it's not an option I recommend getting a pair of glasses made to correct one eye for distance and the other eye for reading and wear them for a month or so before surgery; make sure you're going to like it before yo u do it. Lasik is kind of a permanent thing :laughing:

I asked the doctor about trying glasses/contacts with both. He said it wouldn't be the same at all compared to lasik. I did try the fancy gadget glasses with my script diald in. It was impressive the way the brain works going from far to near. Seems most of you here are happy with lasik. My wife had it done 20 years ago. She didn't do the close option but is happy with her far vision.

I scheduled the surgery for next month. $4500 clams. That about right?

Wish me luck. I'm a quick healer and healthy so I've got that. :grinpimp:

...I personally would rather be able to see distance I am nearsighted and find that these days I actually remove my glasses for better detail for tiny things like screw hardware tap and thread or remote and electric circuit boards for remote control roof systems.

I wear glasses to see faraway but take them off to do up close stuff like you described plus reading this forum (I've always preferred reading books or newspapers w/o the spectacles).

I thought of getting LASIK but was worried if eye doc had a hiccup and I want my sight-

about 5 years for me now. Was 20/200 and have been 20/20 since.

I have to wear readers now but doc told me that would be the case.

I opted not to get the mono because of the depth perception side effect. I enjoy too many things in which that is important to me.

I wear glasses to see faraway but take them off to do up close stuff like you described plus reading this forum (I've always preferred reading books or newspapers w/o the spectacles).

I thought of getting LASIK but was worried if eye doc had a hiccup and I want my sight-

It's all computer controlled. If you move or twitch it will pause and resume on it's own as if nothing happened. Will Vision (my doc.) no longer uses the blade thingy to cut the flap so that is also computer driven and laser. It's hella accurate and human error is no longer a factor .

about 5 years for me now. Was 20/200 and have been 20/20 since.

I have to wear readers now but doc told me that would be the case.

I opted not to get the mono because of the depth perception side effect. I enjoy too many things in which that is important to me.

I'm a little worried about that. I no longer run crane and gave up my CDL a few years ago. I do tow shit and run an excavator. I asked about it and he says he has several clients who run cranes and excavators and he says they have had no issues.

I scheduled the surgery for next month. $4500 clams. That about right?

Wish me luck. I'm a quick healer and healthy so I've got that. :grinpimp:

I had mine done a little over a year ago and it was about $900 for one eye and $1800 for the 2nd eye (all follow up visits included in price); both with "Contoura" Lasik, both with a manual cutting of the "flap" (laser cutting would have been another month wait as the equipment wasn't yet available at the office I went to, that would have also added I think $250 per eye). First eye was simple vision correction no astigmatism, 2nd eye was worse with astigmatism.

The surgery itself was quicker than I thought. About 15 minutes total time in the surgery room; the procedure itself was done in under a couple of minutes. The one thing I think they could have mentioned was the smell of burning flesh (singed hair) when the laser does it's thing.

Immediately afterward it'll feel like there is sand in your eye(s); if you've ever watched someone weld without protection or experienced "sun-burnt" eyes, it'll be similar. Best bet is to take a nap as soon as you can afterward; I intentionally slept lite the night before so that I could take a good 4 hour nap after both of my surgeries. After the nap 80-90% of the pain was gone; your mileage may vary.

I got sorta related questions..

what is a good price for the normal corrective procedures.. for both eyes?

what happens the day of, do you have to wear protective eye coverings for a while? and how long?

what do most people get? I never heard of getting different focal strengths in different eyes..

I've worn glasses since elementary school..

This doesn't answer the OP's question, but might be useful for other people that are interested.

I had PRK done about three years ago. I'm very glad I did.

I was nearsided and wore glassed from age 13 to 16 and contacts from 17 to 35. Vision was about the same for the last 20 years. I think it was -1.50 in both eyes, super basic near sidedness. Not wearing glasses/contacts is amazing.

PRK is what they did before Lasik was available. Basically the results from PRK are the same as Lasik, but the recovery takes longer. I wasn't a candidate for Lasik because I had some scar tissue on my eye that they were concerned might mess with the lasers. I don't remember ever having any eye injuries, but I spent enough time in the shop and in the outdoors that I'm not surprised.

It was way more uncomfortable than I expected, but most of that went away in a couple hours. After that my eyes just felt sensitive to light and dry for a few days, lots of eye drops, keeping the eye drops in the fridge helped. Now, a few years later, my eyes are still a little dry when I wake up in the morning. I keep eye drops next to my bed, but if I forget them, I can just blink a few times and it's just uncomfortable for the first minute or so.

My friends that had Lasik instead of PRK say they went to work the next day and recovery was basically a non-issue.

I feel like my night vision is better, but it was never that good, and I don't have any scientific way to measure that.

I paid $5,800 for the procedure and all pre/post op care. I paid for it from my HSA, so I didn't pay taxes on that money. If you have an HSA, but don't have enough in it to pay for the surgery, you can pay cash for the surgery, then years later pay yourself back with pre-tax money, as long as you have a HSA the whole time. That's what I did and as far as I know it's completely legal.

If you're in the Silicon Valley area, I would recomend furlongvision.com

what happens the day of, do you have to wear protective eye coverings for a while? and how long?

what do most people get? I never heard of getting different focal strengths in different eyes..

The price will depend on what kind of correction you need. See my post above; my second eye was not as expensive as it can get either.

No eye protection needed other than sun glasses. Try to keep your eyes shut as much as possible after the surgery for a couple of hours at least, this is where taking a nap comes in handy.

Mono-Vision (correcting one eye for distance and one eye for reading) is something they offer for those over 40ish. I opted to get corrected for distance in both eyes and wear reading glasses when I read a book (+1.25), or use my computer (+0.75); the computer glasses have UV / Blue-Light filters as to reduce eye-strain.

Think I paid $3,400 for both of mine. There were cheaper places around but we are talking about sight. I wouldn’t go looking for a cheap surgeon either.

Wear your normal glasses for week prior. Day of you show up with a driver. Procedure takes like two minutes. At the end the slap what feels like Vaseline on them and tell you to keep them closed for as long as possible. Did mine at 4 pm, hour drive home, and pretty much went to bed. Was up at 5 am driving myself back in for the post op appointment. No safety glass but plenty of drops to keep the eyes moist afterwards. I was snowboarding in Oregon less than 2 weeks after.

Think what you get depends on you. My eyes were pretty basic, -2.50 if I remember correctly. Was 20/20 next morning and they said as they healed it would get better.

Glasses since elementary. DO IT. Glass since middle school for me. Did it two years ago at 29 and still think about how awesome it is.

Top Back Refresh