What's new

Lame small tire build

Yeah Webers aren't the greatest carb for offroad, but they're great for tunability and working on yourself. I don't know if i should be kicking myself for not stripping the EFI out of the swift, but I really like the simplicity of a carburetor. I shoulda at least saved the throttle body, it probably could have been used with a microsquirt down the road.

Webers can be made to work, but you gotta do a lot of little tweeks to get them decent.

Did some shakin' down this AM. About 10ish miles of highway driving to the local OHV area. Still very gutless on the highway, 55mph was about the best i could do on flat ground. Feels and smells like it's running lean. I was able to richen up the secondary main jet and felt a noticeable improvement on the foot to the floor uphill highway sections. all my spare jets are too small to fiddle with it anymore so off to order some more from Pierce or Pegasus.

I did modify the bowl vent on the carb with JB weld, piece of brass hobby tubing and a chunk of plastic tubing. It did die on me in a few really bouncy sections and once when pointing down a steep incline. I think some fuel bowl slosh is to blame. Never had any issue when the nose was pointed up though, like Weber's typically do.

carb vent:
IMG_0149.JPG

You need to snorkel the air idle jets too. The fuel splashes up onto them and they choke out.

I've never been able to get Webers to work off road, I've tried every tweek and supposed fix but nothing works. For those who have what exactly do you do to them to get them to work?

I usually just vent the float bowl up and away and that helps considerably. One of the not often discussed problems IMO is the way the float bowl sits and extreme downhill can pull fuel away from the main jets. Not sure how to fix that. 3k’s float bowl design has the advantage there.

I may also try the suggestion of venting the air corrector jets also. Webers are so tuneable is my favorite part about them. Every jet or metered component is available separately. Not so easy with the 3k. If it doesn’t run well out of the box then you’re kinda hosed.

I was pretty impressed with the webber on my 22r off-road. It would stall out on steep climbs at an idle, but a little throttle and it would do OK. Then the part that I was really surprised about was that it would always restart after it died on a climb.

This was some pretty steep shit at sand hollow also, not just your normal uphill trail.

The po did some mods, but I can't remember what. Ended up swapping to a 22re anyway.

Got the new perches burned in, had to grind them out a bunch since I forgot that the front axle tubes are larger than the rear.

139FB818-0B84-4498-A918-1AFCD89FA98F.jpeg

Had some leftover rustoleum brush paint so started painting the housing and the knuckles

Had some time today and got the front diff R&R’d with the 26spl side gears and Auburn lunchbox locker.

Once the paint on the third dries it’s time to finally reassemble and put the Longs in

probably overpaid for this, used header since my cast exhaust manifold is cracked. Need to round up a cheap turbo muffler, delete the cat.

7EB88DEB-1237-4D7D-B273-52EFAA480450.jpeg

Man I have been kicking myself for years for getting rid of my first samurai. I have had others and they are always fun but it was just great, first it was a tin top which is my preference it had FI, AC, rear locker, 3500lb winch and I had just bought my 97 taco at a dealer where they put brand new AT's on it so samurai got them 225\75R15's bridgestones if I remember correctly. Problem was I got such a good deal on it and someone made a cash offer, I think I was 20 at the time and they were everywhere in slighlty rougher shape for $250-500 so when the guy offered me $3500 cash I couldn't walk away type of deal. If I can ever find a decent roller I have a 1.0L turbo with AC on it I want to swap in and make a decent DD out of one.

Anyhow sorry for the derail down memory lane there, keep up your lame small tire build lol.:beer:

Mine is the older G10T from a chevy sprint turbo but I think they are probably close in overall power, mine maybe bit more lower rpm and yours more in higher rpm. I figure a stock samurai has less hp and tq from the stock 1.3 so the 1.0 with touch more boost should be good match if I keep near stock tires and such.

I think Gwagensteve in his build mentioned having a 660cc turbo motor in his at one point. Probably much easier to find the 1.0L turbo sprint version in the US.

Got the front end all back together with the Longfields, new brakes, knuckle rebuild and lunchbox locker. Then it was back together for about a day before the evil thoughts took over and made me take the power steering apart again

Drew up a bracket in CAD, had it cut out and then welderd a Tracker ps bracket to it.

For some reason I had no black paint, only purple.:flipoff2:

999993D7-7CFB-4FD4-877C-E153895F36A8.jpeg

44B4B9A7-FC40-4268-8253-F731386E4B93.jpeg

Pump barely clears the rag joint with the banjo to -6an adapter on….lucked out there. Thought I measured better but meh.

Used a banjo to -6 fitting from Unisteer to connect to my original hydraulic hose and then remounted the Toyota reservoir.
69C79831-C0D8-45D6-AED6-79B8FF6B8631.jpeg

2BBA71C6-88F0-4101-9A76-BB1B4164721A.jpeg

696C731B-D05B-4E51-8F78-B2EDDECABC52.jpeg

Got tired of working in the 30 degree garage for now.

First impressions, between the knuckle rebuild and welding the new perches on I think my caster and toe are just a tiny bit off.

However, I was able to steer lock to lock on dry pavement with no squeals hesitation or nothing. The TC pump couldn’t do that for some reason, cheap parts store pump musta been weak? I also noticed the reservoir and filter were cooler to the touch after driving around awhile. Maybe the TC pump was always bypassing and causing issues? I don’t know.

Got the front end all back together with the Longfields, new brakes, knuckle rebuild and lunchbox locker. Then it was back together for about a day before the evil thoughts took over and made me take the power steering apart again

Drew up a bracket in CAD, had it cut out and then welderd a Tracker ps bracket to it.

For some reason I had no black paint, only purple.:flipoff2:

999993D7-7CFB-4FD4-877C-E153895F36A8.jpeg

44B4B9A7-FC40-4268-8253-F731386E4B93.jpeg

Pump barely clears the rag joint with the banjo to -6an adapter on….lucked out there. Thought I measured better but meh.
I used to have cases of that purple stuff... Painted all of my company tools with it... Nobody stole any of my tools.:shaking:...
Butch

I had bought a bunch of single cans of obnoxious colors when I had a Baja bug, to see what color I wanted it when I finished it.

Can’t wait for a warm day to go wheeling with this pile.

Let me know if you want to do any trail building this summer. We have lots of work to do on Rim Butte but it’s always a good time. This would be a blast out there

Last edited:
I had a fairly unproductive weekend with this thing. Missus was sick in bed, kids had their usual activities plus having friends over. Was supposed to go wheeling today but all the other stuff kept me too busy.

Managed to rework and booger weld this new tire carrier latch together. I know, hardcore right? :laughing:

99BF8450-2E05-40D6-B897-18390CF8BE92.jpeg

The next or only big $$ thing left I want to have in this is a roll cage. (And maybe a belly skid but I can make that myself)

Looking at the Trail Tough and LRO kits to make life easy. The LRO looks ugly AF with the big side plates, so I’m leaning toward the more traditional Trail Tough kit. Anyone have experience with either or have a secret third kit I should look at?

OR….get real dumb and put an exo on something with tiny tires?

I have a low range cage, it was on sale through summit so it was a pretty easy choice for something non-hardcore. Mine actually came with 2 sets of the 'family' section bars by accident.

PXL_20210615_230105125.1.jpg

Probably my own fault fitting everything up, but i have to stretch my soft top over the rear hoops pretty good. If it's warm out, no biggie, but if it's cold it can be a bitch to get the rear side zippers all the way down (smittybilt soft top if it matters).

The top A pillar spreader needed to be cut down a good bit to fit.
PXL_20210613_173527793.jpg

I also couldn't put the 2 overhead bars between the A and B pillars as designed as I would put myself at risk of a head injury. So I just used 1 right in the middle. Not ideal but there's not a lot of room to work with.

I don't mind the plate sides, they tie everything in pretty well, don't get in the way getting in and out or take up foot space.

I feel comfortable that it will take a flop fine considering the weight of the rig.

Also have since painted it black so my booger welds were less on display :grinpimp:

Paul thanks for the review of the LRO cage. I also have a smittybilt top and it is a bitch to work with when it is cold for sure.

I am still leaning toward a more traditional looking front cage, but also see that Rocky Road Outfitters makes one too. Has anyone ordered from them lately? Seems they used to be pretty hot stuff but you never see anyone mention them anymore. I did order a t-case mount from them this AM before work, we will see how it goes....

I don't like those plates either

I can confirm there is just enough room for a 1 1/2" tube to squeeze between the door and dash.

Flat towed the zuk out for some light wheeling today with the kiddos, tried some easy rocky stuff. Front locker definitively makes the steering work a little. Someday will probably get another TRE air locker for the front.

Also did the $0 quick release door hinge mod when we got back.
EF6B83FD-022F-46A6-AB63-2873604D8DC1.jpeg

C1BA782D-D88D-453C-9689-DD24BC1E7142.jpeg

Cline was absolutely packed with dirt bikers though. Thinking I should paint this a brighter color for visibility sake, my currrent paint job blends in perfectly to the surroundings

ewwww, i'd rather do neon underglow.

I wonder if they still make those light-up valve stem caps?

They are super gay, although they are hard to miss at night.

I'll give the red, white and blue :usa: ones a pass but just barely

Pretty sure all that stuff is still around. The diesel fag's really like that type of shit.

Flat towed the zuk out for some light wheeling today with the kiddos, tried some easy rocky stuff. Front locker definitively makes the steering work a little. Someday will probably get another TRE air locker for the front.
Twin sticks for easy selection of 2 low is your friend with a front locker. One of the best mods I did to my samurai.

Twin sticks for easy selection of 2 low is your friend with a front locker. One of the best mods I did to my samurai.

For sure. Funny that I’ve twinsticked two other rigs without front lockers and never used 2-low ever in them.

Top Back Refresh