What's new

LA bomb squad truck blew up

"The explosion busted out the windows..."

Hyuk? You don't say, Jethro?
"Hail yes, it was a paarful big 'sploshun. If'n I hadn't passed out drinkin', I'd have glass stuck all in my face.
Them winder blankets is the only things kept ar 'loominum flamingos from the yard outta' the front room."

'move along people,nothing to see here. These men are trained professionals. You people are lucky we found these , some one could of got hurt!'

If you wrap a dozen sparklers with duct tape with one sticking out as a fuse. It goes boom. It's a slow burning explosive until you take the O2 away. It will easily destroy a mailbox in that configuration. Now imagine 5k lbs of similar but probably more volatility. Stuff it all inside of an enclosure effectively removing the access to O2. It's going to burn much more rapidly or in other words "explode". These guys are idiots. Put it on a flatbed with a tarp and haul it away. Split shipments to reduce quantity. And, these guys don't probably don't even know the placarding that they are supposed to be able to enforce.

And the one cop that almost shot the German Shepard coming out of the house

If you wrap a dozen sparklers with duct tape with one sticking out as a fuse. It goes boom. It's a slow burning explosive until you take the O2 away. It will easily destroy a mailbox in that configuration. Now imagine 5k lbs of similar but probably more volatility. Stuff it all inside of an enclosure effectively removing the access to O2. It's going to burn much more rapidly or in other words "explode". These guys are idiots. Put it on a flatbed with a tarp and haul it away. Split shipments to reduce quantity. And, these guys don't probably don't even know the placarding that they are supposed to be able to enforce.
apparently it was only 10lbs.

I laughed when they were all "the truck is designed to handle 15 lbs"
15lbs of what exactly?

there's a pretty big difference between 15 lbs of black powder, or 15 lbs of a high order explosive.
perhaps we should find a better rating system for your bomb disposal unit?

apparently it was only 10lbs.

I laughed when they were all "the truck is designed to handle 15 lbs"
15lbs of what exactly?

there's a pretty big difference between 15 lbs of black powder, or 15 lbs of a high order explosive.
perhaps we should find a better rating system for your bomb disposal unit?
Adding to that^ - all black powder is not equal. If it's ground to a fine powder and contained, it's >100X as scary as large-grain black powder in a free state.

Police confiscate a bunch of fireworks and pack them into an enclosed truck essentially creating a bomb and it predictably explodes.

I'm sure the messaging from the department will be something along the lines of: "Selfless heroes protecting the public get 5k pounds of explosives off the streets and the explosion shows just how dangerous this was in the wrong hands."

Police confiscate a bunch of fireworks and pack them into an enclosed truck essentially creating a bomb and it predictably explodes.

I'm sure the messaging from the department will be something along the lines of: "Selfless heroes protecting the public get 5k pounds of explosives off the streets and the explosion shows just how dangerous this was in the wrong hands."
There weren’t fireworks. The fireworks were boxed up and hauled away in a bobtail truck

Kinda' like when Prez. Urkel's ATF helped a couple thousand firearms go to the cartels via known & facilitated straw purchases :mad3:
--> then "OMG, illegal guns are everywhere, we need to crack down on legal guns" :rasta:

“including a laundromat”

Why did they feel the need to call that one out in particular? Is laundromat glass held to a higher standard? Are they required by local law to use blast proof glass in their store fronts? I just don’t see why they think a laundromat is particularly impressive to shatter the windows of
Maybe it was the only business that was identified in a language he could understand?

They would have been better off to detonate that shit open air
No shit - take it to the local PD gun range (or a local quarry with an agreement) & assume worst-case.

I think this was a case of cowboy-up, dick-swinging bravado gone wrong :frown: :mad3:

I always thought those containers were just in case you had premature ejacdetonation in transport, not yee yee let’s blow shit in a residential neighborhood.

I always thought those containers were just in case you had premature ejacdetonation in transport, not yee yee let’s blow shit in a residential neighborhood.
I always thought that they were half spheres with the top open to redirect the forces, not actually contain them.

building a pressure vessel to fully contain an explosion of unknown materials seems like a bad idea to me.
but I'm not an expert.

Knowing what is common in homemade fireworks in ca with ca legal ingredients... im surprised it didnt do more damage. Ive heard an altoids can full will compleatly destroy a garbage can blowing it to shreds... and 1 grahm wrapped in co steuction paper will send the garbage can lid way higher then you would imagine

The cops obviously had no idea what the home made stuff was. And yet, they still lit it off "cause it fit" in the container. That's pretty fucking stupid right there.

The fireworks cartons were marked “Made in China." The police chief said they were bought out of state in order to sell them in the neighborhood for use on the Fourth of July.

Moore said three box trucks and a 53-foot trailer were brought in to load up the fireworks and move them to a safe location. However, “improvised explosives" also were found that were too dangerous to move, the chief said.

He described them as 40 home-made devices the size of Coca-Cola cans with simple fuses and 200 smaller but similar devices.

The material was taken to a “total containment vehicle,” Moore said. The multi-ton semi-tractor trailer rig has a spherical iron chamber that is designed to safely detonate explosives.

Moore said less than 10 pounds of material was placed in the chamber, far less than its safety rating.

“This vessel should have been able to dispose of that material,” he said but instead there was a “total, catastrophic failure of that containment vehicle."

As a safety measure, police had knocked on doors before the blast to evacuate homes on both sides of the street where the truck was parked. But firefighters later found people in some of the homes, Terrazas said.

again, less than it's safety rating of what? At least it gives a description of what they were trying to explode. I wonder why they were deemed to unsafe to move if they were just pipe bombs with simple fuses. Didn't they ask the guy what was in them?

Knowing what is common in homemade fireworks in ca with ca legal ingredients...
If folks were making illegal fireworks anyway, they might not have been simple black powder - there's shit with far higher energy density. Way back in high school, there was a dude who made boomers >5x as powerful by size than the shit we made with black powder ("allegedly":laughing: ). Rumor has it, he got a visit from the feds after making a big boom in a storm drain (cannot confirm, but plausible - he stopped doing "cool" shit immediately).

The "undocumented fireworks manufacturer" may have been offering consumers the best bang for their buck. Or, shit - maybe they were making bombs for fuckwaddy purposes. Cops should've frozen / isolated the unknown explosives & relocated for disposal, or started with the smallest unknown popper as a test.

I think someone was running balls > brains & trying to make an impression - welp, mission: accomplished there :homer:

I saw commercial mortars when the video came out, unless they were making 4-6" mortars. Either way, defund the cops ! Yeh, that'll show um. :lmao:

I met a guy through a friend that was involved with that squad, so not a ton of first hand experience, My impression was a confrontational know it all willing to prove you wrong.

He was only one guy, but if that's any indication of the organization, no wonder they blew up half the block.

Betting one of the neighbor kids dared them.:laughing:

And They Fawked up there cool men in black truck:lmao::lmao:

Just spotted this.

Last edited:
1625262847319.png

Top Back Refresh