What's new

LA 360 block dipstick

wvracer821

Member Number
Loc
Morgantown, WV
Working on a little project ram charger and ran into a snag with the dipstick tube. The block is an LA 360 that was remanufactured by Jasper in roughly 2010. For whatever reason they threaded the dipstick hole. As far as I know the factory dipsticks are press in. We originally had it RTVed in there but it leaked like crazy. I can get a 7/16-14 bolt to thread in there but it feels loose. Does anyone know if there might be a bushing or something we’re missing? I’ve tried scouring the internet but haven’t had any luck for a solution.

Drill bigger and make a bushing ?

Not sure of this would work:

The notes state the following:

This dipstick fits Milodon rear sump truck oil pans with threaded dipstick bung.

So something to look into. Good luck... :beer:

Looking back. We already tried that milodon one a couple years back and it wouldn’t work out. We dug it out and tried again. The threads on the end of it appear to be 5/8-18.

The hole in the block will take a 7/16-14 bolt. I can’t tell if it’s tapered like a pipe thread or not

You can see here that the threaded portion is off center from the hole so I can’t run a tap or bolt past the shelf
IMG_2434.jpeg

Got an old axle breather bolt you can drill to press-fit the dipstick tube? I think they are 7/16-14.

That’s an option. We’re trying to avoid drilling and dropping the pan if we can.
After seeing that picture, you may not have a choice but to drill out that hole to the proper size of the push in dipstick. Fix it right the first time so you never have to revisit the issue again.

We ended up using a piece 5/16 brake line and making a new tube. We were able to take the fitting on the brake line and grind the threads down then thread the fitting to 7/16-14. A little JB weld around everything and I think we have it done.

After seeing that picture, you may not have a choice but to drill out that hole to the proper size of the push in dipstick. Fix it right the first time so you never have to revisit the issue again.
I tried to convince the owner (one of my best friends) to drop the pan and make up a more permanent solution but he opted for the half ass fix that will probably be okay. Time will tell. I’m not super proud of doing the JB weld trick but time will tell.

...I thought for sure all the car pans had the dipstick through the block and the truck pans...big and small block...had the dipstick in the pan via a brass fitting - are you sure you have a truck oil pan? do you have pics from further away? ...s'pose it doesn't matter tho if it's running n driving...

But otherwise, if the JB-weld doesn't hold, that needs to be a press-in fit, so might have to do a bit of fabrication - maybe drill the threaded area out to 1/2", and make a fitting that will press in tight that the OE dipstick can then press into... a 'spacer' of sorts?

Last edited:
The generators at work (john deere, but who cares) use a threaded adapter into the block, and the tube (bulk steel tubing) goes onto that with a flare nut. Not rocket science to duplicate the concept.

All LA small blocks have the press in dipstick tube. Big block trucks use the bolt in one on the pan.

I would have done pretty much the same. Fill it with epoxy and then drill it back out to size and RTV the tube.

Top Back Refresh